Rattlebone Rock

And bats swoop down.
The BOOMA beat echoes
All through the town.
Witches and goblins
Make the tombstones Knock.
It's time to dance
To the Rattlebone Rock
Published September 30th 1997 by HarperTrophy (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rattlebone Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rattlebone Rock

Kathryn Cunningham
When goblins, skeletons, witches, a banshee, and all the other graveyard ghouls have an all night party, the Booma-Boom and Rappa-Tap beat shakes the whole town. Even the mayor comes out to boogie to that irresistible syncopating rhythm. The clever rhymes and catchy rhythms of this adorable story will have you Clacka-Clacking and Shousha-Shapping all night long with the bats and owls.

I picked up this book at the library in honor of Halloween, and I loved it. My biggest issue with rhyming picture...more
Asho
My son randomly picked this book out at the library and he LOVES it. He has made his Dad or me read it to him at bedtime every night for at least a week now. The rhythm of the poetry in this book is awesome. It has a great syncopated beat that enables you to sing the entire book. I would always start by saying, "Booma-boom, Booma-boom, Booma-boom" and tapping the rhythm on the floor with my hands, and then my toddler would join in with the tapping. Then periodically throughout the book I'd go ba...more
Lain
Hands-down, this is the absolute best Halloween book for young children. We bought this when it first came out in 1997, and it still has an honored spot on our shelves. Every year, we pull it out and revel in the fanciful pictures, catchy rhymes, and joy of the season.

We started reading this when my son was only a few months old, and now that he's almost 9, it's still a favorite -- and our younger two kids love it just as much. Don't miss this book!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Groovy percussive repetition and rhyme with ghoulishly fun illustrations make this a Hallowe’en must. You’ll be chanting it in your sleep — and loving it!

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Cheryl
Oct 28, 2010 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents
I love reading this to the 2nd graders. They like to "echo" the sounds the creatures make--I say "boo a boo", they say "boo a boo". Great
syncopated beat which they love. I also like that it makes dancing in the graveyard sound like a fun party instead of something to be afraid of.
Aleece
A great Halloween story that continues to grow when you read it. Kids can participate too with making the sounds that the skeletons and witches make.

I like how the book rhymes and it is fun and has lots of sounds that kids can participate in.
Jen
Great Halloween book that my oldest picked out at the library during our last visit! He's a Halloween baby, so he loves anything that talks about Halloween. This is a must have for my school library! Can't wait to order it!
Tiffany
As a teacher this was my favorite Halloween book to read to the kids. It has a sing songy rhyme through the book that the kids just love!
Tiffany
I found this at the dollar store, and it was a bargain! It's a fun Halloween rhyme, with zany illustrations. My kids request it.
Ednaliz
Ednaliz marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mandy
Mandy added it
Mar 23, 2014
Jwoodruff93
Jwoodruff93 marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Soni
Soni marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Dancing in My Bones Black Jaguar Green Jade: A Maya Mystery Indianapolis Murals, Outside Public Art, Vol. III: New murals since 2008 including Super Bowl XLVI and Lilly Murals If You Take a Horse to the Gym: Lose to Win Indianapolis Murals, Outside Public Art: Cultural Districts and Trails