Start by marking “H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)” as Want to Read:
H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)

H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Book by Edginton, Ian
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 71 pages
Published April 19th 2006 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

Frank Racz
For me what makes a really good graphic novel are the illustrations. Being a reader who has focused primarily upon literature in the past I find the heavily abridged text in graphic novels to require some getting used to. At this stage in my graphic novel reading career I focus on the "graphic" aspect of these books.

This rendition of the H.G. Wells book is a title practically anyone would be familiar with. I may have come across this book in my youth in the form of an abridged young adult versi
Tricia
I read this right after finishing The War of the Worlds (in ebook and print, depending on whether or not we had electric lights that night!). Sometimes they were using direct quotes, but mostly it was adaptation. That was fine, except it wasn't clear when you were getting the brother's perspective. I understand that they would have to condense some of the storyline to fit within this format, but some of the timeline changes seemed unnecessary. On the positive side, much of the objectionable soci ...more
Kaethe
In some regards, Wells is a horrible writer. Much of the action takes place offstage and has to be reported to us. Gratuitous coincidences. A weird love/hate relationship with humanity and the future.

Since by now the story is old hat, I don't really have anything to say about that. Edginton's graphics do give the material a fresh feeling. The images of devastation bring back a little of the power the work must once have held. I particularly liked the wounded face of our hero for keeping the pain
Mike
Nicely done. D'israelis illustrations are superb. Probably my favorite rendition of the Martian tripod machines. The adaptation is true to the original, hitting all the important points of the plot. Edginton has resisted the urge to tinker with Wells' plot, as some other adaptors have done, letting the original speak for itself.

I also highly recommend Scarlet Traces, Edginton and D'Israeli's sequel to War of the Worlds.
Artur Coelho
Ian Edginton assina uma fiel adaptação da obra clássica de Wells, sem desvios à obra original. O ilustrador D'Israeli acompanha o argumento com um estilo gráfico ainda algo incipiente, a misturar fin de siècle com steampunk mas com pouco investimento em detalhe ou concretização visual do mundo ficcional da obra. Notável por ter sido criada como webcomic e depois levada a publicação em livro, esta graphic novel foi o ponto de partida para a série Scarlet Traces onde Edginton explora um mundo pós- ...more
Kaffa
"Hey, I've got a good idea!" The book company owner said to his little artist, "let's repackage a timeless classic and make it a seventy page comic book for kiddies!"

The Artist grinned a horrific grin, "Wowee, that's a great way to reel in the dough!"

And thus began the creation of this waste of natural resources. Ruining one of H. G. Wells' greatest achievements. It's sad that the illiteracy of America has lowered to such a degree that we now need to repackage classics into comic books. I advise
Chunkymonkey12
aliens come to attack the earth becuase thier home an planet mars is coming to an end and they need a newer, better place to live:
Thirty-five million miles into space, a species of martians sets eyes on planet Earth. With thier own planet doomed for destruction, the Martians prepare to invade.Thier weapons are ready and thier aim is ruthless.
The war of the worlds are about to begin.
Landry F.
This book was one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. Having seen the movie and read the book this g rapid novel just put those to things together in to one hard cover. I recommend this for people who like comic books to fantasies. This book is just all around great. If I could I would give it two thumbs up.
Jessica Hollo
Style of the graphics fits the style of the original book well...gritty, blocky colors. Not how I pictured the martians, though.
It really was just okay, nothing special, read the actually book, and let your imagination do better.
Peacegal
The story we all know gets the graphic novel treatment. I always felt WOTW was a fine example that humanity's most dreaded fears center around the idea that someone else will do to us what we have done to so much other life here on Earth.
Jess
Very gory graphics of a classic. Older teens would love it. It was better than the Tom Cruise flick. Of course, what could be worse than that movie? The only good thing was Dakota Fanning.
David Loewen
How could Wells describe laser weapons in relatively accurate detail more than 60 years before they were invented? Pretty far-fetched, but amazing for when it was written..
Donna  S
This months selection for the other book club I'm in. I probably wouldn't have finished it except we lost our power for 2 nights and my kindle has a light.
David Bales
Amazing artwork in this graphic novel. A brilliant depiction of the H.G. Wells book, and it continues on in a new series.
Muireann
Not even half as good as their own stories which were homage/sequels to the HG Wells original.
Whatsupchuck
Very good! I've always wanted to read this story, but I'm not much of a reader.
Carl Phillips
Carl Phillips marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Nediva Tjahjadi
Nediva Tjahjadi marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Ignition City Volume 1
  • Famous Players (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Seven for a Secret (New Amsterdam, #2)
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • Gears of the City
  • Gettysburg: The Graphic Novel
  • The Women of Nell Gwynne's
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Battle Angel Alita - Last Order : Sans Angel, Vol. 13
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (2nd ed.)
  • Ender's Game Graphic Novel
  • Dark Sleeper (Western Lights, #1)
  • Puzzle Island
  • A Blazing World: The Unofficial Companion to the Second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #2)
  • Them Bones
  • Fata Morgana
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • The Tripods Boxed Set of 4 (The Tripods, #1-4)
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written L ...more
More about Ian Edginton...
The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel The Hound of the Baskervilles A Study in Scarlet Hinterkind Vol. 1: The Waking World Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies