Dark Pursuit

Dark Pursuit

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Ever hear the dead knocking? Novelist Darell Brooke lived for his title as King of Suspense---until an auto accident left him unable to concentrate. Two years later, reclusive and bitter, he wants one thing: to plot a new novel and regain his reputation. Kaitlan Sering, his twenty-two-year-old granddaughter, once lived for drugs. After she stole from Darell, he cut her off...more
Published November 30th 2008 by Zondervan

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenPrincess gives it away by Dab10Wicked Lovely by Melissa MarrThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker
Best Free Kindle Books
28th out of 93 books — 161 voters
Down & Out by Marcy G. DyerThis Present Darkness by Frank PerettiAgainst All Odds by Irene HannonIn Harm's Way by Irene HannonAn Eye for an Eye by Irene Hannon
Christian Mystery/Suspense Books
216th out of 271 books — 210 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric Wright
Collins reputation for writing gripping suspense led me to get this Christian book. Called "Dark Pursuit" it was very dark in giving alternate scenes from the perspective of a developing serial killer. Personally, I don't enjoy reading about serial killers, and had I known I would not have started this. At places it was almost too scary to read...but to find out what happened, I had to finish it.

An very successful but reclusive novelist is struggling to come up with the plot for a new novle. He...more
Sheila
Brandilyn Collins writes Christian suspense novels with the tag-line “Don’t forget to breathe.” Her novel, Dark Pursuit, certainly merits the warning. It’s a story that starts with a quick trip home and just the odd thing out of place, then rushes into murder and mayhem, leaving twenty-two-year-old Kaitlan unsure who to trust. The boyfriend might be a murderer. The novelist grandfather wants nothing to do with her, nor she with him. And the police are more concerned with her past than her securi...more
Gina Hott
Kaitlin has just realized that she's pregnant. She just can't stop feeling queasy, oh, then there were the two little pink lines on that test.

It's really a good things her clients had cancelled for the afternoon and she could go because her head just really isn't in it. Is God punishing her for not following him as she should? Wow, is she jumpy! Will the whole pregnancy be like this? As she goes into her apartment something just doesn't feel right. What is it? Hmm. Craig, her boyfriend's, pen is...more
Mark Baker
Darrell Brooks, the best selling "King of Suspense," is struggling to write his 100th book after an accident stole his ability to concentrate. But he's going to need all his mental powers when his estranged granddaughter finds a body in her apartment and suspects her boyfriend, a cop, put it there. I loved this Christian thriller. The characters were good, but the character development at the end was a little abrupt.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jill Williamson
Novelist Darell Brooke is known as the King of Suspense, with ninety-nine blockbusters published. An auto accident two years ago left his mind hazy. He now lives alone in his mansion home, a recluse without friends or family, with one goal: write one more blockbuster novel.

His twenty-two-year-old granddaughter, Kaitlan, hasn’t seen him in years. He cut her off back when she was a rebellious teenager. But she’s changed and made a life for herself. When she comes home early from work one day, she...more
Tracy
This is the second Brandilyn Collins book I've read and it's become clear that while I think she has a certain style of writing that's compelling, I have some intrinsic issues with the stories she tells. In Dark Pursuit those issues are the very foundations of a book: the premise, plot, and character actions, which in this case vacillate between inane and ludicrous, obliterating not only the willing suspension of disbelief but any ability to do so whatsoever.

In Dark Pursuit, Kaitlan comes home e...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Christian suspense which is a genre I haven't read before. An entertaining book. Kaitlan is a recovering drug addict and estranged from her author grandfather. After finding a dead woman in her home and suspecting her police officer boyfriend of the murder, Kaitlan enlists her grandfather's help in figuring out what to do. Her grandfather, a famous murder mystery author who is in ailing health finds a new lease on life as he reconciles with his granddaughter and finds new inspiration for his wri...more
Michelle
Dark Pursuit was a fast paced read with plenty of twists and turns to make the reader dizzy. I had a hard time putting the book down because it kept building and the tension increased with every chapter. But that is how good suspenses are supposed to be. Brandilyn certainly knows how to raise the reader's anxiety level. The spiritual thread seemed naturally woven in to the storyline and I enjoyed every page. The only thing is that at the end I didn't totally buy how things turned out. Call me a...more
Karen Robbins
“Ever hear the dead knocking?” Now if that isn't an invitation to goosebumps I don't know what is. Dark Pursuit is a classic Collins' suspense novel. Brandilyn Collins' trademark of Seatbelt Suspense holds true to this serial murder mystery.

Kaitlan Sering must protect herself and her grandfather, suspense writer, Darrell Brooke, from a crazed serial killer she suspects is the very man she's fallen in love with. Somehow, Brooke must help his granddaughter snare this maniac but the question is, ca...more
Jill Bratcher
Good, quick read for a rainy Sunday afternoon. I loved how one of the main characters, a mystery/suspense writer, warns that it's never the first suspect and then Collins leads the reader on a merry ride all about how it has to be that first suspect.

I'm not a fan of head hopping - different chapters from different characters' POVs - and this was no exception in the beginning. It worked out better toward the end, though, as I recognized the voices better.

Most Christian fiction has more Christ in...more
Barb
Aug 05, 2011 Barb added it
I've read some of this author's work and enjoyed it so I thought that I would enjoy "Dark Pursuit". It's a murder mystery which I expected to really get into this. I just found it to be too "dark". I found it to be rather depressing and kind of hurried through to the end. The relationships were disappointing and sad. I kept expecting the main female character to make a loving connection with her grandfather and it just never really happened. The story is about a serial killer so I didn't expect...more
Atlantis
Carolyn E
I enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Valerie
Another freebie on Kindle. Eventually I will learn that you get what you pay for. It's a thriller with what's supposed to be a "Christian twist." Other than the fact that the central and supporting characters pray a lot, I didn't get that. Given the circumstances they find themselves in, I would pray too and I'm not overally religious. That being said, the plot is flimsy. The characters are kind of interesting, but the storyline just doesn't hold water and the ending is confusing at best.
Jennifer Gentry
Talk about your page-turner... This one kept me on the edge of my seat through the entire story. From the very beginning, the author snagged me into the story and didn't let go through to the twist at the end of the book. Readers who enjoy suspenseful material will particularly enjoy the story of what happens when the lines between fiction and real life are blurred. For those that are prone to vivid dreams, this may not be the book for you. For everyone else, I dare you to read it alone at night...more
Tracey
This book is about a girl that walks into her apartment to find a dead woman on her bed. Her boyfriend is a cop and she finds out that he was the one that killed this woman and had to leave her there because she got home too early.
The girl seeks advice in her estranged grandfather who is a suspense author.
They figure out the crime and confront the boyfriend.
It was pretty good. I would rate it an 7 out of 10.
Judy
The twists and turns in this book, about mystery writers and their stories -- will the grandfather be able to save his granddaughter from the murderous boyfriend? Grandfather, a great mystery write, has not written a book in too many years -- he is working on number 100 and can't seem to do it anymore. But, he uses his mind as a mystery writer to help save his granddaughter from death. It was good!!!
Leslie Walker
Another good twist in the end, however, I did see this one coming. There was only a few sentences in the entire about from a Christian perspective however. She is an excellent author, you don't want to put her books down, however, I really would like more faith put it.The author could easily weave more faith into the book, it really doesn't belong in the Christian genre right now imho.
Amber Moore
I really enjoyed this suspense novel. It did it's job and kept me on the edge of my seat till the very end. I had no idea who the killer was. You think it is one person but it is a completely different person that you don't have any clue that it could be. Very good but can have a very few slight drag spots
Christy
This is the first novel by Brandilyn Collins that I have read and I was instantly taken in by the suspense and intensity of this story. A very fast-paced, nail-biting read with a shocking surprise that I didn't see coming. I'm hooked! And, I look forward to reading more of Ms. Collin's books in the future.
Chocklik Gurl
May 10, 2011 Chocklik Gurl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chocklik by: Free Nook Book Download
I downloaded this as a freebie and was pleasantly surprised that its actually a very good read. Like most stories i, it seemed pretty obvious who the "bad guy" is but i was not ready for the twist! Without giving it away i'll tell you that things are not always what they seem
Dawn Meehan
This was a spectacular book. I really enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. It was a page turner. I can't wait for another book from her. She is a highly talented author with so much imagine and creativity. I recommend you run right out and read this book.
Lisa
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Sad I read this 2 years ago and have very little recollection. I do remember the part where Kaitlan's grandfather was a mystery writer and she wanted his help to solve who was trying to kill her. Since I can barely remember this story, I guess it's just okay to me.
Ricki
This was a fast-paced thriller, but I had a hard time really connecting with any of the characters. Also, I new there must be a twist, but it totally came out of left field with absolutely no clues along the way that it might be the outcome.
Generally I've liked Brandilyn Collins' books in the past but this one did nothing for me. I was bored rather than scared and I couldn't care less who did what by the end. Disappointing.
Leah
I like mystery and suspense. This one was almost a little too dark for me. Very action packed and fast moving, it definitely kept my interest, but it wasn't a favorite.
Judy Knight
How refreshing to read murder mysteries with the Christian element! Good and evil always at play but with Christ involved in the action it is so different for the reader.
Jessie Weiner
Not great, but not awful. It was free, and the blurb was interesting, so I went ahead. The book had potential, but seemed just superficial enough that I was left wanting.
Yvonne Dixon
The writing was excellent in this book. I felt nervous for the characters during the chase scenes. But! I hated the story line. Ugh! Stupid! But fun to read anyway.
The Free Book Cha...: Dark Pursuit, by Brandilyn Collins 2 3 Oct 26, 2012 10:21PM
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Primitive
  • The Real Enemy
  • Daisy Chain
  • Hostage (Navy Justice #2)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series, #2)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Murder Takes the Cake (Daphne Martin, #1)
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • Vanish
  • Off the Record
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
Brandilyn Collins is a best-selling novelist known for her trademark Seatbelt Suspense®--fast-paced, character-driven suspense with myriad twists and an interwoven thread of faith.

Brandilyn is also known for her distinctive book on fiction-writing techniques, Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors (John Wiley & Sons). She is a sought-after teacher and speaker a...more
More about Brandilyn Collins...
Brink of Death (Hidden Faces Series, #1) Violet Dawn (Kanner Lake Series #1) Eyes of Elisha (Chelsea Adams Series, #1) Deceit Exposure