Start by marking “The Jerusalem Scrolls: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Jerusalem Scrolls: A Novel

The Jerusalem Scrolls: A Novel (Zion Legacy #4)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  17 reviews
With sales of more than seven million copies, Bodie and Brock Thoene's works of historical fiction have topped bestseller lists and carved a lasting place in the hearts of their readers. The first three books in their beloved Zion Legacy series began with the sweeping saga of Jerusalem's explosive history of 1948. Now, the Thoenes return with a novel that is unique to the ...more
Published October 15th 2001 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Jerusalem Scrolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jerusalem Scrolls

James Oliver Burns
What can I say,? it left me wanting more, I really feel like I lost a love one. It Started out in Jeruselum 1948, and then to Jeruselum when Jesus Christ whalked and preached. Its centered on two Characters, Miryam, "a beautiful woman yet troubled young widow' with very loose Morals, and Marcus "her Roman Suitor." Theirs is a love,Hate,love relationship; both trying to find themselves.
An outcast of her own people, who is dead to her people; whose mother committed suicide when she was a young gir
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

This book takes place primarily during the time of Jesus. Moshe Sachar is underground hiding during a very dark time for the new Jewish state and has been directed to read these ancient scrolls that have been preserved for hundreds or thousands of years by his wife's grandfather.

One minor note on that front. For the most part I have not been able to discern major mistakes by the Thoene's but in the prologue both Moshe and Alfie refer to Rebbe Lebowitz (Moshe's grandfa
Nonie
The story begins in the 20th century as Jerusalem is being overrun and goes back to the first century via the writings found on underground scrolls which have been preserved beneath the temple mount. The book tells of happenings that are found in the christian gospel from the perspective of a roman centurion and a jewish harlot.
Mark Baker
The focus shirts from 1948 to 1st Century Israel for this moving story of Jesus's mercy and grace.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Julie
What an amazing story of the full range of human emotion and the search for true love by two people with very different stories. This may the best book I've read by the Thoenes! As each character deals with the demons of their past and the horrors that plague them in the present, they each come to similar conclusions in their own ways and in their own time just as we all do. The depth of understanding about how we let our past define us and how difficult or impossible it may be to let go of the ...more
Susan Riggs sturniolo
No need to watch a movie if you're reading this book. It has it all action, drama, betrayal!! But most of all it has Jesus!!! I balled like a baby when the servant almost died!! A must read!!!
Karen
Great historical retelling of the beginning of Statehood of Israel, good characterisations and authentic Messianic Jewish culture. I also liked that it was fair about the different peoples/cultures/religions involved, even though the book was told from the (Messianic) Jewish perspective.
Dany
This was good but I really don't like the "story within a story" format. I've been left with a cliffhanger regarding the story was being told, as this book and apparently the next two, are the start of a new series called the A.D. Chronicles. Good but kind of disappointing.
Kw
Quite a stretch, to imagine Mary Magdalene as the sister of Martha and Lazarus and Mark as The Centurion. Of course I know this is fiction, and pretty great fiction at that, but I wonder why they did this? Just so strange.
Kim
I have always like the Thoene's writing, but this one captivated me more than the rest of the series b/c it had more historical and less fiction than the other Zion Legacy books. Truth is fascinating.
Nancy
Once you know the Bible story, this series is a good addition - they put you right there at the time and in the place. Very enlightening - but remember, they are novels not history.
Bridg8
The beginning of the story that became the series, "A.D. Chronicles". The story of Marcus and Miriam.
Joe Hampton
One of the best books in the series so far. Such a good job of showing the reality of events in those times.
Jayne
Had a hard time getting into it, but really enjoyed the story once I got started. Worth the read!
Liz Roberts-metcalf
Liz Roberts-metcalf marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Irene Beachy
Irene Beachy marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Eleanor Johnson
Eleanor Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • The Man from Shadow Ridge (Saga of the Sierras, #1)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • Arms of Deliverance: A Story of Promise (World War II Liberator #4)
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Legacy (6 books)
  • Jerusalem Vigil (Zion Legacy, #1)
  • Thunder from Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #2)
  • Jerusalem's Heart (The Zion Legacy, #3)
  • Stones of Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #5)
  • Jerusalem's Hope (Zion Legacy, #6)
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)