Start by marking “National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather” as Want to Read:
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather (National Audubon Society Field Guides)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Interest in our nation's weather patterns is rising -- as witnessed in the popularity of the Weather Channel -- and this guide is the most popular reference to every type of weather system, cloud formation, and atmospheric phenomenon common to North America. The 378 dramatic photographs capture cloud types, precipitation, storms, twisters, and optical phenomena such as the ...more
Published October 15th 1991 by Knopf

Be the first to ask a question about National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann

I had this book since I was a child and it has brought great joy throughout the years; well mainly when I was a youngster. This book and all the other field guides that Alfred A. Knopf published are fantastic, I own 4 myself and all are just as great as this one.
Matthew Sullivan
May 31, 2012 Matthew Sullivan rated it it was amazing
This book has been a constant companion of mine since 1995 when I was a teenager. It has seen the grey nimbostratus of Pittsburgh, the fleeting cirrus and cirrostratus clouds of the Mojave desert, the billowing cumulus and cumulostratus of the Eastern Shore, and hundreds of locations in between. It has survived floods, earthquakes, and several hurricanes with minimal damage. (Slight water damage from a flooded garage.)

I never fail to learn something new and fascinating every time I open this boo
Diana
Jul 04, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
For one summer in grade school, I ritualistically observed the weather every day. Rain gauge, barometer, camera to capture cloud formations, notebook to record it all. I made my own predictions. I compared them with the Farmer's Almanac and the Weather Channel. See how the book is baby blue? I wore baby blue shorts and a baby blue shirt when gathering data. This book was always in hand.

That copy was water damaged, but it's been recently replaced. I am still a little obsessive about the weather.
Simon Goetz
Aug 14, 2010 Simon Goetz rated it it was amazing
Written with scientific finesse and packaged with beautiful color plates and a durable plastic horizon-blue dust jacket, this book spells instant meteorological boner. Guaranteed. The section on orographic clouds is especially riveting.

I carry a copy of this book on my person at all times. You should too, if you have a person who is willing to carry it.

Sam
May 28, 2010 Sam rated it liked it
More of an impulse buy than anything, but it was useful while on field work in America, the photography is superb and the descriptions of each cloud type are well thought out and will make sense to amateurs and professionals alike
Mahria
Jun 24, 2011 Mahria rated it it was amazing
Who knew the Audubon Society had a weather field guide? So good! I want to have a bookshelf for all of the field guides. Chock full of cloud pictures, weather science and historic facts.
Erica
Dec 03, 2007 Erica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like watching the weather channel
I've enjoyed this book since I was a kid. It isn't exactly for the beginning meteorologist. If you don't understand whats going on in between then at least enjoy the pictures.
Naomi
Jan 13, 2009 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: outdoors
I love the weather and my husband got this as a gift. It's nicely divided, easy to read, and has great pictures.
Michael Shilling
Jun 01, 2007 Michael Shilling rated it it was amazing
Stare at the sky more. The weather is interesting.
Jim Ginther
Jim Ginther marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Dias Quintas
Dias Quintas rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Merry
Merry added it
Jan 20, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Mitchell Colgan
Mitchell Colgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Stan
Stan marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Tom White
Tom White rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Tristin
Tristin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Nicolas Molina
Nicolas Molina marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
James Russell
James Russell marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Derek Reichstadt
Derek Reichstadt is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Devin Soulsby
Devin Soulsby marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Amandabasteen
Amandabasteen rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
David Colantuono
David Colantuono marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Keith Veeder
Keith Veeder rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Birds of North America
  • The Practical Geologist: The Introductory Guide to the Basics of Geology and to Collecting and Identifying Rocks
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • Nick and the Glimmung
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • US Army Survival Manual
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification

National Audubon Society Field Guides (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region