Start by marking “The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms” as Want to Read:
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
With more than 700 mushrooms detailed with color photographs and descriptive text, this is the most comprehensive photographic field guide to the mushrooms of North America. The 762 full-color identification photographs show the mushrooms as they appear in natural habitats. Organized visually, the book groups all mushrooms by color and shape to make identification simple a ...more
Published December 12th 1981 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published December 12th 1980)

Be the first to ask a question about The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America by David Allen SibleyNational Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America... by Jonathan AlderferLichens of the North Woods by Joe WalewskiA Field Guide to Pacific States Wildflowers by Theodore F. NiehausSpiders of the North Woods by Larry Weber
Best Field Guides
8th out of 63 books — 13 voters
Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America by Eric R. EatonNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildfl... by National Audubon SocietyWetland Plants of Ontario by Alan G. HarrisMushrooms Demystified by David AroraNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals by National Audubon Society
Best Nature Field Guides
21st out of 27 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Kasey Jane
Aug 18, 2012 Kasey Jane rated it really liked it
This is a massive guidebook replete with color plates and an excellent key system. It contains enough information to satisfy someone who has been identifying mushrooms for several years, and many plates show phenotypic differences among the more popular species.

I would not recommend this book to someone who wants to learn mushroom hunting unless they have previous experience with the Audubon guides. I just think this book is a little too dense for a novice -- the pages and pages of LBMs are a l
Tim
Mar 12, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-outdoors
This is a user-friendly guide to trees in the Eastern U.S.A. So far, I have found it to be an enjoyable item to put in my backpack for a day on the hiking trail or the park. The book is clearly organized, with sections for leaves, flowers/nuts, and a couple of other categories. It is a good size, and the illustrations are clear. This book will help you identify trees. However, it is not a textbook or a serious introduction to the study of trees - for that, you would need something else.
Susan
Oct 14, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
while not finished reading, this is an excellent book for even beginners, with good photos, and very descriptive info on the mushrooms. a must for any forager
Maggie
Jun 04, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
Very easy to comprehend and figure out what mushroom I was looking at
Jaguar
Jul 29, 2015 Jaguar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (National Audubon Society Field Guides)" by National Audubon Society is a fabulous field guide on mushrooms in North America. With tons of pictures, and TONS of information on EACH mushroom, you will be able to learn about pretty much any mushroom you find in North America. This is a great field guide, and would be great for reference. I would read it again.

2015-Summer-Reading-Review
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing
Fabulous color plates. Good descriptions. While no guide should be one's lone resource in mushrooming, this one is the closest I've found to a comprehensive and reliable option. I often partner this with Michael Kuo's work (his books or his website) and call it a day...unless of course I'm looking for a meal, in which case I always consult every resource I have.

I would call this book an absolute must-have for mushroom hobbyists. A+.
D
Jan 03, 2011 D rated it it was amazing
Relatively compact size, beautiful photographs, concise descriptions, and easy to use -- definitely a good reference for mushroom hunters and interested nature lovers alike. You can't ask for much more to a good field guide than this.
Syroezhka
Feb 14, 2008 Syroezhka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: practical
I am an avid mushroom forager (as you can guess from my alias). This book has been my reliable source for mushrooming in the U.S. It is detailed, has excellent illustrations and organized in a clear way. I love this book.
stew
Jan 03, 2008 stew rated it liked it
Useful and interesting, but I still don't trust myself to make proper ID with these things. Knowing my luck, I'd turn purple, puff up and have my eyes melt out of their sockets. Purty pix, though.
Jim
Oct 07, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
A good reference, although I found it difficult to look up specific instances for identification. That may be my lack & not theirs though. Like their other books, this is a very good buy.
Maya Dellor
May 20, 2012 Maya Dellor rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. It seems like it has every mushrooms. The only thing is it's pretty hard to identify what you've found using this book because there's just so much to look through.
Oct 27, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
I love Audubon books their easy to use, the pictures are very clear and the information is well laid out and easy to understand. Best guide books ever.
Jacob
Jun 05, 2008 Jacob rated it really liked it
A good book for the beginning mushroom hunter. Many species identified. Convenient size for packing in the field.
Tofu Fairy
Nov 09, 2011 Tofu Fairy rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT ref guide...almost 800 color pics! I was able to ID most of the shrooms I've photographed!
Jamison Johnson
Sep 08, 2012 Jamison Johnson rated it really liked it
Its a great guide, but sometimes hard to find local mushrooms in.
Cheryl Devine
Nov 18, 2010 Cheryl Devine rated it it was amazing
The colors are off for a lot of the mushroom pictures
Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Superb. Fantastic. Phenomenal. Changed my life.
Alan Culler
Jan 05, 2008 Alan Culler rated it it was amazing
The best mushroom field guide I have found yet.
Cole Richter
Cole Richter marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Bourbon
Bourbon marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
lindafay
lindafay rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Joey
Joey added it
Aug 09, 2016
Alexandra Briggs
Alexandra Briggs marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
william koellner
william koellner rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
CJ
CJ rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Brandi Marlow
Brandi Marlow marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Sarah Ponder
Sarah Ponder marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Toni Durst
Toni Durst rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Honey N
Honey N rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • Mushrooms Demystified
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • A Neotropical Companion: An Introduction to the Animals, Plants, and Ecosystems of the New World Tropics, Revised and Expanded Second Edition