4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Spiders, bugs, moths, butterflies, beetles, bees, flies, dragonflies, grasshoppers, and many other insects are detailed in more than 700 full-color photographs visually arranged by shape and color. Descriptive text includes measurements, diagnostic details, and information on habitat, range, feeding habits, sounds or songs, flight period, web construction, life cycle, beha...more
Published November 12th 1980 by Knopf

Be the first to ask a question about National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders

Jayme
Pros:
1. Front of the book is colour plates organized by Order. Really easy to flip through, find the bug you're looking for and then flip to the back for more info. I also like that they've placed bugs that look like something else into the wrong order in plates section. If you see something that looks like a bee and check out the picture section, it's with the bees, but when you flip to the back to read about it, you'll realise it's a fly and part of the fly section.
2. Covers a good variety of...more
Harold
Mar 09, 2008 Harold rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know more about insects or spiders
For some people, the first reaction to spotting an insect or spider will be to squish it - or run away screaming. For everybody else, the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders provides a wealth of information that will help you to identify just what you're looking at. Like all Audubon Field Guides, it consists of a large photo section cross-refernced to descriptive text for each photo. Images are grouped by body type and visual similarity, so it is possible t...more
David Ward
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders (National Audubon Society Field Guides)by Lorus Johnson Milne (Alfred A. Knopf 1980)(595.7). This is a helpful field guide for identifying North American insects and spiders. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
And Rea
May 15, 2008 And Rea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who goes outside
Understandably limited in the amount of information they can cover (due to limited size of the books), the National Audubon Society Field Guides are amazing detailed for the animals they do encompass. I love them and often carry them around to help identify objects of my curiosity.
Jim
They've packed quite a few in here, but I found it somewhat lacking on specifics for some types of wood boring insects. Considering the number of insects, they did quite a good job, though. Definitely a good reference to start with.
♥Caro♥
I love you science Olympiad, filling my time with useful things like memorizing coleoptera families
Cedar Sanderson
Still one of the best field guide series I own. These are the gold standard, with photos and clear descriptions. They cover the high points, and will at least point you in the right direction if you find somethng really unusual.
Jasmine
This book is pack with vivid colors and descriptive text, but I wish the section on spiders featured some of the more common species or more species in general.
Malissa Farnham
Apr 23, 2007 Malissa Farnham rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I carry this around with me all summer and it's one of the best ideas I've ever had. Now I'm not afraid of bugs, because I know them :]
Ike Sharpless
Easily my favorite of our Audubon guides, but that's because I'm an insectophile and a macro photography fan.
Rebecca
Great pictures and information, though it seemed like they could have added more insect species.
William
Excellent pictures and descriptions.

I read the library copy, but I really should buy it.
Esther
Among the books I use the most, looking up what my little many-legged friends are doing.
Kimberly
A wonderful resource when your 2nd grader has to collect & identify 25 bugs!!!
Krotpong
Rendered obsolete by the internet. Still, a lovely book.
Aaron
Good overview, but better used for pictures.
Stacy
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • The Amateur Naturalist
  • Journey to the Ants: A Story of Scientific Exploration
  • Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • Summer World: A Season of Bounty
The National Audobon Society is an environmental organization.
More about National Audubon Society...
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide) National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky