Start by marking “National Audubon Society Field Guide to Insects and Spiders: North America (National Audubon Society Field Guides (Paperback))” as Want to Read:

National Audubon Society Field Guide to Insects and Spiders: North America (National Audubon Society Field Guides (National Audubon Society Field Guides)

Spiders, bugs, moths, butterflies, beetles, bees, flies, dragonflies, grasshoppers, and many other insects are detailed in more than 700 full-color photographs visually arranged by shape and color. Descriptive text includes measurements, diagnostic details, and information on habitat, range, feeding habits, sounds or songs, flight period, web construction, life cycle, beha ...more
Published November 12th 1980 by Knopf

Be the first to ask a question about National Audubon Society Field Guide to Insects and Spiders

Dan Schwent
Aug 07, 2015 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders is a guide detailing North American Insects and Spiders.

First, the good points. The photographs in this book are superb and the guide is fairly well organized. It's also small enough to fit into a largish pocket.

Now, the not so good points. There weren't nearly enough entries, specifically regarding the spiders. While the organization was good, there were small parts that seemed illogical.

However, the litmus test for
Jayme
Pros:
1. Front of the book is colour plates organized by Order. Really easy to flip through, find the bug you're looking for and then flip to the back for more info. I also like that they've placed bugs that look like something else into the wrong order in plates section. If you see something that looks like a bee and check out the picture section, it's with the bees, but when you flip to the back to read about it, you'll realise it's a fly and part of the fly section.
2. Covers a good variety of
Harold
Mar 09, 2008 Harold rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know more about insects or spiders
For some people, the first reaction to spotting an insect or spider will be to squish it - or run away screaming. For everybody else, the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders provides a wealth of information that will help you to identify just what you're looking at. Like all Audubon Field Guides, it consists of a large photo section cross-refernced to descriptive text for each photo. Images are grouped by body type and visual similarity, so it is possible t ...more
Malissa Farnham
Apr 23, 2007 Malissa Farnham rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I carry this around with me all summer and it's one of the best ideas I've ever had. Now I'm not afraid of bugs, because I know them :]
Jaguar
Jun 15, 2015 Jaguar rated it really liked it
"National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders (National Audubon Society Field Guides)" by National Audubon Society is a fabulous field guide on insects and spiders in North America. With tons of pictures, and TONS of information on EACH insect and spider, you will be able to learn about pretty much any insect or spider you find in North America. This is a great field guide, and would be great for reference. I would read it again.

2015-Summer-Reading-Review
Dad
Jan 14, 2016 Dad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naturalist, youth
This is the field guide I used most with my 7th grade students when I lead them in their term project of an insect collection. The excellent color photographs aided the student in identifying their collections. I had them get genus and species for awhile then relented to just get the family name, which for them as novices was difficult enough.
And Rea
May 15, 2008 And Rea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who goes outside
Understandably limited in the amount of information they can cover (due to limited size of the books), the National Audubon Society Field Guides are amazing detailed for the animals they do encompass. I love them and often carry them around to help identify objects of my curiosity.
David Ward
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders (National Audubon Society Field Guides) by Lorus Johnson Milne (Alfred A. Knopf 1980) (595.7). This is a helpful field guide for identifying North American insects and spiders. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
Cedar Sanderson
Jul 09, 2011 Cedar Sanderson rated it really liked it
Still one of the best field guide series I own. These are the gold standard, with photos and clear descriptions. They cover the high points, and will at least point you in the right direction if you find somethng really unusual.
Jim
Oct 07, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
They've packed quite a few in here, but I found it somewhat lacking on specifics for some types of wood boring insects. Considering the number of insects, they did quite a good job, though. Definitely a good reference to start with.
Justin Monson
Oct 04, 2015 Justin Monson rated it it was ok
Shelves: miscellaneous
Did not care much for this guide, as it pales in comparison to others on the market. Too small of pictures, not organized well, and photos aren't as vibrant as other guides.
Esther
Dec 30, 2008 Esther rated it it was amazing
Among the books I use the most, looking up what my little many-legged friends are doing.
Aaron
Jun 08, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it
Good overview, but better used for pictures.
William
Feb 06, 2009 William rated it it was amazing
Excellent pictures and descriptions.

I read the library copy, but I really should buy it.
Ike Sharpless
Aug 20, 2011 Ike Sharpless rated it it was amazing
Easily my favorite of our Audubon guides, but that's because I'm an insectophile and a macro photography fan.
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Great pictures and information, though it seemed like they could have added more insect species.
Krotpong
Jan 28, 2008 Krotpong rated it liked it
Rendered obsolete by the internet. Still, a lovely book.
Carolyn
Dec 31, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love you science Olympiad, filling my time with useful things like memorizing coleoptera families
J.T.
Jun 11, 2013 J.T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: insects, nature
This book is pack with vivid colors and descriptive text, but I wish the section on spiders featured some of the more common species or more species in general.
Fishface
Jan 27, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, reference
An excellent guide, but gives you just enough info to realize how very few of the extant species ever get photographed and described in a guide for the likes of us.
Kimberly
Feb 07, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
A wonderful resource when your 2nd grader has to collect & identify 25 bugs!!!
Susan Priem
Susan Priem rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Lucinda Booth
Lucinda Booth rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Richard Starrett
Richard Starrett rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
LB
LB rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2017
Mindy
Mindy rated it really liked it
May 04, 2009
Flippiepopje
Flippiepopje rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2008
Timothy Rosprim
Timothy Rosprim rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Annabel Upton
Annabel Upton rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Weather: North America
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • For Love of Insects
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • A Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs: Northeastern and north-central United States and southeastern and south-central Canada
  • A Peterson Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
The National Audobon Society is an environmental organization.
More about National Audubon Society...

National Audubon Society Field Guides (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Fishes: North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Seashells
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Seashore Creatures (National Audubon Society Field Guides)