Start by marking “Blood Island” as Want to Read:
Blood Island

Blood Island (Matt Royal Mystery #3)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  568 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Matt Royal never has to look far for excitement. Excitement-and sometimes trouble-has a way of finding him first. But for this fun-loving lawyer turned beach bum, things are about to get serious. Dead serious. When his ex-wife asks for help in tracking down her stepdaughter, last seen in Matt's hometown of Longboat Key, Matt agrees to do a little searching. But what looks ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Island

C.C. Thomas
Jun 27, 2012 C.C. Thomas rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Matt Royal is a retired lawyer living the easy life in Florida. One day, his ex-wife (and love of his life) shows up and asks Matt to help find her stepdaughter, who has disappeared.

So, I'm hooked. At first, this book is a great read. Matt is funny and intelligent. The mystery is easy to follow but important enough to keep my interest. I found myself drifting pleasantly along.

Then, bam! About 2/3 of the way in, the book changed completely, almost as if a separate author (one not nearly as good)
Jmrathbone
Feb 11, 2011 Jmrathbone rated it did not like it
I know this novel is fiction, but even with fiction I expect the story line to be believable. It started out alright when Matt Royal, an attorney, retires to the Florida Keys and does pro bono work. In Blood Island he is asked to look for his ex-wife’s missing stepdaughter. This results in lots of dead bodies, drugged girls forced into prostitution, and Matt Royal’s friend Jock and Logan, who come to help. I didn’t read anywhere in the book about what year this is supposed to be, it was publishe ...more
Jeremy Bates
Apr 02, 2012 Jeremy Bates rated it it was amazing
Okay, first a quick summary: Matt Royal was a Florida attorney. But the stress from the job and excesssive drinking cost him his marriage, and now he's living modestly in Longboat Key, Florida. When his ex-wife Laura shows up out of the blue and tells him her eighteen year old step daughter Peggy has gone missing on spring break, Matt begins to investigate--and soon everyone he speaks to is turning up dead.

The plot takes you on a rollercoaster ride involving drugs, religious cults, prostitution,
Tree
Sep 08, 2009 Tree rated it it was ok
Light, frothy, but not very realistic, not very captivating. It was an OK read, good for the beach or if you have nothing better to do, but the plot was contrived, the characters shallow, and the book less than gripping.
Brenda Bindschatel
Feb 11, 2014 Brenda Bindschatel rated it liked it
First of this author's books I've read. it was a captivating story, but I found some of it unbelievable, like a bar tender who can find info on the internet that law enforcement agencies can't, an ex-lawyer who essentially ends up running an investigation involving several police precincts and the FBI. A bit too much. But the plot was interesting and the characters likeable.
Merrikay
Nov 29, 2013 Merrikay rated it it was ok
Billed as you'll like this if you like John. D. MacDonald. The usual mystery in the Keys of Florida, not as good as other series set there. Don't know that I'd read another. Found myself skimming the last couple of chapters. Terrible dialogue. Two stars.
Patricia
This is the 3rd book in the Matt Royal series, following “Murder Key,” and I do not consider it a standalone. The backstories of each major player are already in place and are only barely touched upon in this novel. Also, Matt Royal’s emotional make-up was heavily developed in the first two novels and that knowledge is essential to this story line.

The story opens about 6 months after the conclusion of the previous novel. Matt is visiting at a friend’s animal rescue preserve when he finds a male’
Neil Plakcy
Very atmospheric-- great descriptions of Florida.
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version.

Tante idee, svolgimento poco credibile

Nell’iniziare a leggere questo libro mi sono sentita subito catturata dalla storia. Parte infatti con il ritrovamento di un cadavere su una spiaggia. Quale inizio migliore per un romanzo di questo genere?
Purtroppo l’impressione iniziale spesso inganna.
La trama ha come protagonista un avvocato in pensione, Matt Royal, che a quanto pare ritorna in altri libri della serie (questo è il terzo), che viene coinvolto in uno strano
Michele
Apr 15, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it
The Quick Synopsis:
Retired attorney Matt Royal is enjoying his retirement down in Florida when he gets a call from his ex-wife who asks for his help locating her missing step-daughter. All of a sudden, dead bodies are popping up everywhere and Matt is right in the middle of it. Drug dealers, the mob, religious cults - you name it and this mystery has it.

The Literary Criticism:
Griffin has a talent for writing the grand noir mystery tradition. Think Sam Spade meets Miami Vice. The tight plot is fa
Patricia
Dec 13, 2009 Patricia rated it really liked it
Matt Royal is an attorney who retired young. Matt managed to make enough money to allow him to give up his law practice and live a life of leisure at his home on Longboat Key in Florida. This easy life comes to an abrupt halt when he receives a message from his ex-wife Laura. Matt and Laura meet and Laura explains that her stepdaughter, Peggy, has disappeared while on spring break in Florida.

Although Matt and Laura have been divorced for a number of years, Matt is still in love with Laura. Matt
Rhonda
Jan 15, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Blood Island: A Matt Royal Mystery by H. Terrell Griffin
4 STARS

Blood Island is the third Matt Royal book now that I have read in the past two days and it does not disappoint. It's is high drama,action especially for a lawyer. Matt has loyal friends and he is one too. His ex-wife comes into town and asks for his help to find her missing step-daughter Peggy. Peggy is over 18 so the police need more to search for her than she has stopped calling home weekly.
Matt finds a dead body and after that so
Ethan
Feb 19, 2012 Ethan rated it really liked it
After reading Bitter Legacy, the fifth novel in the Matt Royal series by author H. Terrell Griffin, I knew I wanted to read the earlier books in the series. Blood Island, the third installment in the series, hits the ground running as Matt Royal, a former soldier and lawyer who has retired to Longboat Key, Florida, finds a body in a vulture cage at a local wildlife refuge. We learn that trouble seems to follow Matt, but fortunately, his friendship with the local police chief helps to assure the ...more
Jennifer H
Jul 01, 2013 Jennifer H rated it it was ok
Shelves: florida-authors
This book was okay. There seem to be a ridiculous number of ex-attorney, ex-military Florida authors. It gives me hope about one day writing something someone else would read (and leave a 2-star review for! haha). Anyway, it was a good, light read. I had to suspend belief that, as the back review on the book stated, that the author had a great understanding of the law. I am sure he does, as a practicing attorney, and so he knows that some of the actions of the characters of the books go way beyo ...more
Kathy
May 08, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
I am definitely a fan of H. Terrell Griffin, loved Blood Island. The main character, Matt Royal, is such a likeable person that I definitely need to go back and read the 2 books before Blood Island and the 4 that follow. Griffin's main character, Matt Royal, left his career as a lawyer and wants to just enjoy life, but trouble seems to find him and with the help of very devoted friends he travels throughout the Florida Keys, Tampa, Longboat and other parts of Florida, in this novel to find the m ...more
Suze
Jul 05, 2014 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BLOOD ISLAND

I love all of the Matt Royal books, it does not matter that I haven't read them in order. This one was special because it gave insight into his life with Laura, his regrets, and his motivation for some of the things he does now. I still have two more books to read, hopefully there will be more.
Marjorie A Carman
Great book

This book keeps you interested at every turn of the page. Very well written. looking forward to reading more by this author.
Betsy
May 16, 2016 Betsy rated it it was ok
A fast, easy read that is more action than mystery. This is more of a guy's book where the hero and his buddies are typical tough guys.
C.
Jul 14, 2014 C. rated it really liked it
Good read. Nice characters. Enjoyed the storyline. Was my first Griffin but not my last. Moving on to the next book in the Royal series.
Tammy
Feb 06, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it
This is a good book. It's about a retired lawyer, Matt Royal, that is called by his ex-wife to look for her missing step-daughter, Peggy. Not only is Matt looking for the daughter of the one woman that he truly had loved, before he screwed up that relationship by throwing himself into his work and drinking way to much, he digs up more than he expects that he would. He stumbles upon more than he wants but finding Peggy is his number one priority and he keeps right on going no matter what is throw ...more
Willa
Feb 05, 2013 Willa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I was really looking forward to reading this series, because I have visited a lot of the places that he writes about. I did enjoy that aspect of the book, and I thought it wasn't bad for about half of the book, then the lawyer turned into Rambo. I wish I had kept track of the number of people he killed, seemingly without a second thought. I usually don't have trouble suspending my disbelief, but this one really strained it. I did buy a couple more books in the series, so I will read them as well ...more
Dave
Apr 30, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Rated the book 4 stars. I enjoyed the book even though it was somewhat up and down. Started off fast, bogged down and ended in a page turner.
Susan
Feb 01, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Written by a resident of Longboat Key, Florida where I spend the winter :). A fun, light mystery with names and places I recognize.
Ann
Aug 15, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, great story line, good dialogue; this book just drew me in and made me want to stay with Matt and go on his trek to save Peggy.
Beverly
Lots of action--very cut and dried dialogue--kind of put me in the mind of Jack Webb at times. I liked the way the story line came together but the end seemed a bit abrupt. I'll probably try something else written by this author.
Jane Blanchard
Mar 16, 2012 Jane Blanchard rated it liked it
As a gulf coast Floridian, I love reading books about the area. Matt Royal resides on Longboat Key and his adventures take him down to Key West as he tries to untangle the web of murders, the disappearance of his ex-wife’s stepdaughter, drugs sellers and religious cults. It is a fun read to see how Matt untangles the web.

I found the beginning slow-going, but the pace picks up as characters and plot develop. Though I wouldn’t call it a page-turner, this is a good first book and I look forward to
Peggy Holloway
May 13, 2013 Peggy Holloway rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It had a good plot, interesting characters, moved at a good clip and took place in Florida, my home State. I like books about deranged people and religion gone awry. This has both. The characters are strong. I love the way the characters get to treat the criminals and not have to worry about protecting their "rights." I will definitely read more by this author and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good suspense/thriller/mystery.
Jean
Nov 15, 2011 Jean rated it liked it
Retired attorney, Matt Royal, meets with his ex-wife and is asked to try and locate her missing stepdaughter, Peggy. In his search for Peggy, Matt encounters a group of religious zealots on Blood Island, who are planning a major explosion that will eventually rock the world. It is a race against time to find out the plans of the so-called bombers and save the lives of many innocent people. Good mystery story.
Jeff Bach
Aug 15, 2012 Jeff Bach rated it really liked it
Worth reading. I like the constant first person tense of the story. I like the mix of details and descriptions mixed in with the action, the slow reveal of personal info from Matt's past and the occasional sermon/lecture about the tourist or the real Florida or how nice Florida can be when in the early morning.

Good read. Will read the rest of the Royal series as soon as I can find them.
Kat
Feb 02, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it
  • Neon Dragon (Knight and Devlin, #1)
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • Legwork
  • Double Exposure
  • Stuff to Die For
  • Capitol Reflections
  • Mad Money
  • Late Rain
  • Entangled (Fredrickson Winery #1)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • Irrefutable
  • Killing Faith (Gabriel de Sade, #1)
  • Hard Press'd (Preston Andrews Mystery #1)
  • House Report
  • The Noon God
  • Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • Commune of Women
Award-winning novelist H. Terrell Griffin is a board-certified trial lawyer who practiced in Orlando for thirty-eight years. He and his wife, Jean, divide their time between Longboat Key, Florida, and Maitland, Florida. Griffin is also the author of Blood Island, Murder Key, and Longboat Blues. Blood Island was named an award-winning finalist in the 2008 National Best Books Awards, Fiction & L ...more
More about H. Terrell Griffin...

Matt Royal Mystery (10 books)
  • Longboat Blues (Matt Royal, #1)
  • Murder Key (Matt Royal Mysteries)
  • Wyatt's Revenge
  • Bitter Legacy (Matt Royal Mystery, #5)
  • Collateral Damage (Matt Royal Mystery #6)
  • Fatal Decree
  • Found (Matt Royal Mystery #8)
  • Chasing Justice