Start by marking “The Taoist I Ching” as Want to Read:
The Taoist I Ching

The Taoist I Ching

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The I Ching , or "Book of Change," is considered the oldest of the Chinese classics and has throughout history commanded unsurpassed prestige and popularity. Containing several layers of text and given numerous levels of interpretation, it has captured continuous attention for well over two thousand years. It has been considered a book of fundamental principles by philosop ...more
Published May 3rd 2005 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Taoist I Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taoist I Ching

Robert Francisco
I have (and do use) many versions of the I Ching, but if I could only have one I would choose this one. The translation is by Thomas Cleary with commentary by the Taoist adept Liu I-ming. Unlike many other translations that seem to focus on external success, prosperity, etc., the emphasis here is on internal cultivation of consciousness.
Elena Ferro
Molti modi per approcciarlo: come porta di ingresso verso la cultura profondissima della cina taoista (con commenti di Confucio), come libro per la meditazione e conoscenza di s`e del mondo, come strumento divinatorio. Efficacissimo peraltro.
Un libro da guardare con profondissimo rispetto
James
It took me a long while to finish this book, but I don't think it was because it was "bad" really. It really gave me perspective I found. Personally, I learned a lot about the way you think and act, which I tried to apply to myself. This book really made me want to step outside of my body and look at myself as someone else, which really made me consider the way I behave and kind of who I was.

It may look like just a bunch of random mumbo-jumbo sentences that don't really tell you anything, but t
Eric
This only applies to this particular version of the book. Would give this a different rating but for starters it's very convoluted as far as the introduction goes. Then, as far as how to use the book, the structure is not ideal. So as the reader you're never sure where the text is going or if there's something you missed because the introduction meanders and isn't presented clearly. The actual text (books 1 and 2) is fine and serves its purpose.
John
i am normally averse to thomas cleary's translations. this one didnt bother me too much. its an interesting book - a "taoist" interpretation of the i ching, but "taoist" means different things to different people. well set in a yang, fire-oriented tradition. the water method suits me better, so this book is a little off on that score, but i still found it an incredibly interesting read. a good supplementary text for the i ching student.
Barb
Thomas Cleary has a great way with words and is insightful to the movement which the I Ching provides, action or non-action. Knowing changes everything.
Arthur Johnson
Very good book on Change. However, the commentary and writing are a bit difficult.
Michael
Feb 07, 2010 Michael marked it as to-read
Shelves: lost-books
Ideograms from the I Ching appear in the DHARMA logos.
David
These are the recipes, if you can read them.
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Tz348
Tz348 marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Desirable Love
Desirable Love marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Davboro
Davboro marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Ben Metcalf
Ben Metcalf marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Christi Fain
Christi Fain marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Glass
Glass added it
Mar 21, 2015
Iitu
Iitu marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Hend Zamalkawia
Hend Zamalkawia marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Briana Murphy
Briana Murphy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • The Awakening of Intelligence
  • On Becoming an Alchemist: A Guide for the Modern Magician
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • The Path Of Yoga: An Essential Guide To Its Principles And Practices
  • Aion (Collected Works 9ii)
  • The Serpent Power: The Secrets of Tantric and Shaktic Yoga
  • Zen & the Beat Way
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Lieh-tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living
  • The Essence of Buddhism: An Introduction to Its Philosophy and Practice
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • Psychological Commentaries On The Teachings Of Gurdjieff And Ouspensky
Awakening to the Tao Cultivating the Tao: Taoism and Internal Alchemy - Xiuzhen houbian Yinfujing zhu - 陰符經註 Liu Shi Si Gua Yu Yang Sheng (Mandarin Chinese Edition)