Start by marking “Three Novels of Suspense: Madam, Will You Talk?, Nine Coaches Waiting & My Brother Michael” as Want to Read:

cloth, 639 pages
Published 1960 by M.S. Mill/William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Three Novels of Suspense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novels of Suspense

Diane Lynn
Jun 10, 2013 Diane Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, romance
Buddy read with Linda and Hj

Another wonderful story by the master of romantic suspense. Charity Selborne and friend, Louise Cray, take a car trip to Avignon in Provence. Mary Stewart does a wonderful job of introducing the other guests at the hotel where these two young women are staying. Most of these guests enter into the plot in one way or another. Charity kind of stumbles into an ongoing situation and I really can't say anymore than that. What starts as a very pleasant vacation for Charity,
Janet
Oct 04, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
"Madam, Will You Talk?" - the first book written by Mary Stewart and you can tell. It was still good, just not up to her usual standard. Fast-paced action, everything gets resolved rather quickly. It was exciting though but almost made me tired. Two young English women go on vacation in France and one unintentionally wrapped up in an adventure with a young boy who is staying at the same hotel, with his step-mother. They are on the run from the boy's father, a man who is rumored to have committed ...more
Jolie Beaumont
Apr 04, 2012 Jolie Beaumont rated it it was ok
I'd never read anything by Mary Stewart before, so when I found a collection of three of her books (my collection has "Wildfire at Midnight" and not "My Brother Michael") at a second-hand bookstore I was quite excited. Then I read the introduction, where Ms. Stewart informs us that these books are her first efforts and, well, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I was quite disappointed. "Madam, Will You Talk?" is a very formulaic suspense story that even manages to make Provence seem dull. B ...more
Bonnie
Mar 09, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I just reread these three books because I'd loved them so in the past. Mary Stewart writes some of the best romantic adventures. The romance is skimpy and somewhat unbelievable, but it satisfies some girlhood fancies, while the adventure and mystery is topnotch. My favorite is Nine Coaches Waiting. If you know a teenage girl given to reading, send her this one. The heroines tend to like the heroes to be somewhat bossy, but the heroines are spunky and brave in their own right.
Harvest
Jul 10, 2008 Harvest rated it it was amazing
My good friend actually checked this out from the library for me and gave it to me to read, and I was so glad when I had finished them. She raves about a Merlin series by this author that I have yet to read, but in this book I particulary love the second story. All three were good, although I found it funny how the author frequently has her characters quoting lines of poems to each other as if they're common knowledge and that's an everyday activity--but maybe it's just me!
Linda
Mar 14, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok
My Brother Michael: Now I know why I liked this as a teenager. Does not hold up well but I still like the background of Greek art and architecture.

Nine Coaches: Remembered a good deal of the plot once I got going, but enjoyed it for the most part. Though there's a rather implausible Cinderella story at the same time which detracts from the suspense. The suspense holds up much better than the relationships/romances.

Did not reread Madam, Will You Talk?
Laurie
Mar 09, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
These were the first romantic suspense my mother allowed me to read. This volume is one of the few I saved from her huge library of book club edition books. "Nine Coaches Waiting" will always have a special place in my heart, as it takes me back to being 12 years old, with the luxury of curling up in a chair or under a tree to read the summer hours away.
Sandy
Nov 19, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it
I enjoy and have read almost all of Mary Stewart's books, but they often are fairly similar in their plots...they are fun escape books that are interesting to read, usually involving foreign places, a mystery and some romance...
Catherine
Jul 18, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it
I just finished Madam, Will You Talk? It was good, but I like Nine Coaches better. Both myateries take place in Europe. They have a good amount of suspense, but nothing to keep you awake at night. Romance is woven in nicely :)
Rebeccahodge
Jul 24, 2012 Rebeccahodge rated it it was amazing
I have read each of these about 3 times. Love Mary Stewart.
Tammy Furguson
Tammy Furguson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Geri French
Geri French marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Ginger
Ginger marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Nancy Walker
Nancy Walker marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Jeri Robinson
Jeri Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Vonny Brooks
Vonny Brooks rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
David Hesson
David Hesson marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
TractateMiddoth
TractateMiddoth rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Anniemal
Anniemal marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Chris Ciolli
Chris Ciolli rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Terye
Terye added it
Apr 29, 2015
Mandalyn
Mandalyn marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
yvonne bledsoe
yvonne bledsoe marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Lisa B
Lisa B marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Nicolette Terakes
Nicolette Terakes rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Lady Mary Stewart was a popular English novelist, and taught at the school of John Norquay elementary for 30 to 35 years.

She was one of the most widely read fiction writers of our time. The author of twenty novels, a volume of poetry, and three books for young readers, she
More about Mary Stewart...