Start by marking “Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  792 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Recapture the joy of being a child and apply it to your relationship with God. Ask the difficult questions about faith, then just take Jesus at His word.

Includes discussion guide.

Published September 16th 2003 by NavPress (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Wonder

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisDesiring God by John PiperSimply Revelation by T.R. EstepKnowing God by J.I. PackerChosen By God by R.C. Sproul
Top Theology
48th out of 171 books — 147 voters
The Wounded Healer by Henri J.M. NouwenCelebration of Discipline by Richard J. FosterGilead by Marilynne RobinsonThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerA Praying Life by Paul E. Miller
The 100 Best Books for Your Spirit
106th out of 121 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt Mancini
May 07, 2012 Matt Mancini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a good number of books that would fall in the "Christian Living" category, and a good majority of those that I've read were...nice. Few of them were truly inspiring. This is one of the few.

With a measure of eloquence and grace I've not often seen in any genre, Mr. Yaconelli indicts the reader for our "maturity" and pushes us to realize the meaning of "childlike faith." Somewhere in the rush to grow up we have forgotten what wonder is like and how to experience it, and further, we've
Groups
Per Sue Bates:

The author challenges the reader to rediscover or discover their childlike faith. He gives great stories of what it means to experience God in a childlike way, and how adults can lose that over time. He pushes the reader to think through where they've put artificial boundaries on their faith and how to overcome them. The study questions at end of each chapter are excellent - really could generate great conversations and next steps for the reader.

This is one of those rare books that
Jkanz
Mar 07, 2015 Jkanz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith (1998) by Mike Yaconelli calls us back to a childlike faith. Christians, saved by God's scandalous grace to a life of wonder, are too often dour, dispassionate people having forgotten what God has done. One of the fruits of the Spirit is joy. Where is our joy?

Yaconelli writes of curiosity, wonder, abandon, playfulness, quiet listening, passion, terror, and naivete as characteristics to cultivate and not destroy. We are Christians, not Pharisees
Dana Goodman
Oct 01, 2014 Dana Goodman rated it it was amazing

A beautiful book full hope, joy and childlike freedom. I would highly recommend this book if you want to be refreshed. I would also recommend his book, "Messy Spirituality." Both books leave you feeling more connected and whole.

In the Cleft Joy Comes In the Mourning: A Story of Hope After Tragedy
Colt
Feb 02, 2013 Colt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was a life changer for me; hands down! I was so uptight before reading this book. It truly gave me more compassion and tolerance for others. To learn to play. While I go in and out of this new way of life I refer back to this book to remind me to enjoy the simple things - to live in dangerous wonder. Like a child.
Ken
Nov 15, 2014 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Childlike faith understands that God is as capable of destroying us as He is of saving us."
"God is not only present when we can see Him, He is present when we can't, and joy comes from recognizing God in places we never thought He would be. God hides in difficulty, He hides in suffering, He hides in poverty, He hides in failure, and He hides in the stories of our lives."
Dangerous Wonder will help you see and experience the danger and the wonder of God.
Cinnamon Dickens
Mar 17, 2014 Cinnamon Dickens rated it it was amazing
I love this guy. His raw, uncluttered perspective rings more true to me than a majority of Christian authors.
Donna Craig
Feb 06, 2016 Donna Craig rated it it was amazing
This is the best, most enlightening book I've ever read about my faith. It changes my life
Cheryl Donnelly
Jul 05, 2015 Cheryl Donnelly rated it it was amazing
I received this as a gift and it changed my life.
Phil
Jun 27, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book, with many thought-provoking statements and quotable quotes. I rushed to the end, eager to read all that it has to say. But, in reading the book so quickly, I didn't properly take hold of all the challenges and encouragements to change and develop a more childlike faith. There is, I suspect, so much more to take from this book than I did on first reading. I will have to to re-read it at least once (including the Discussion Guide, which I skipped), and take the time truly to eng ...more
Lee Parish-butler
Mar 16, 2012 Lee Parish-butler rated it really liked it
Given to me as a gift from our parish's then youth minister. It is a great read for teens in particular. It gave me a new way of seeing Christianity. Essentially what I got was, if someone is looking for an easy, comfy, show up to services and gatherings on occasion and feel good about your spiritual status then this ain't the religion for you. Christianity demands much of us that necessitates that we be shaken out of our comfort zone. This is what I call 'kicking the pews' in order to wake folk ...more
Jt
Feb 19, 2016 Jt added it
Shelves: youth
for youth ministry
Harry
Apr 16, 2012 Harry rated it really liked it
I miss Mike Yaconelli's passion for Christ and amazing service to ministry over the years. This books helps me to be reminded of those lessons Mike taught over the years. And it has served as a continual call for me to become more childlike within my faith. A good, quick read that will stay with you in many ways. If you ever served in Youth ministry and used Youth Specialties, you will remember Mike and appreciate this book!
Carol
Jul 11, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
I argued with this book a lot: I thought Yaconelli could have used a better editor, I thought his illustrations were irrelevant or flawed, and a lot of his thoughts were somewhat annoying. Let's just say I had a bad attitude. But then. Chapter 12 is called Naïve Grace. I cried all the way through it. I think I got some grace, and was able to give some back. That and chapter 13 are a great way to end a book...
Cynthia
Jan 13, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
I love how Yaconelli not only demolishes the walls of my comfort zone but does so in such a simplistic and kind way.
Samuel
Dec 08, 2011 Samuel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Read as a group discussion book so it was interesting to go through the questions together. How do we recapture a child - like faith? Yaconelli poses this and other similar questions through out his book. How much do we miss in our relationship with God when we've lost our child like faith? He would say a great deal and it was fun to discover ways to return to that.
Mark Geisthardt
Jan 10, 2011 Mark Geisthardt rated it it was amazing
Mike Yaconelli cuts through all the unnecessary stuff to the heart of a living breathing Christianity and does it all with a wonderful writing style that keeps one hoping for more. I read "Dangerous Wonder" as part of a group/class and always looked forward to what Mike had to share with us next. A great read that strives to help you recapture your child like faith.
Brian Williamson
Jun 13, 2008 Brian Williamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I wish there were six stars in the rating system.

There are not words to accurately describe the power and influence this book has had on me.

I believe I came to understand God better through Yaconelli's writing.

I read this shortly after becoming a Christian and it was as if God used this book to speak to me directly, assuring me that He was with me.
Matt D
Michael describes the many ways we adults drift from the wonder of childlike faith. It is especially challenging for those of us who value the productivity, efficiency, and responsibility of adulthood. Michael reminds us of the amazement we had when we first heard the things Jesus teaches. Certainly a new favorite of mine!
Robert Mako
Apr 19, 2012 Robert Mako rated it it was amazing
Mike Yaconelli brought a very different perspective to the the Church that was struggling post Jesus movement. This book is a collection of stories from his life As a pastor, church leader, and foundeR of Youth Specialties. It is a fun read with a lot of personal growth thrown in among the stories. Well worth the time.
Kira
Apr 09, 2009 Kira rated it liked it
this would be a better book if i wasn't me and wasn't living in china. if, however, you are a busy american who doesn't play very often, it is well worth the read. and though it wasn't earth shaking for me, i was reminded and i learned.
Tim Kruse
Sep 27, 2007 Tim Kruse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who wants to be free
I love the child-like attitude of the writer. It excited and motivated me to not only think outside of the box, but to run away from the box and into the arms of Jesus.

And best of all... it was gift from my favorite cousin! (Go Janelle!!)
Dovie
Aug 24, 2008 Dovie rated it liked it
I didn't finish. It was a recommendation from someone else...maybe I'll pick it back up again sometime, but it will be a long time from now, b/c there are too many other books i KNOW i want to read on my shelf.
Stephen
May 29, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a refreshing reminder of God's unconventional ways. I was stirred by this read and challenged to be more child-like in my perceptions and interpretations of my savior.
Janelle
Sep 13, 2007 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
"Christianity is not about learning how to live within the lines; Christianity is about the joy of coloring." (pg 124) Expresses the freedom and the joy that we have as Christians.
Nicole
Mar 19, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was refreshing and encouraging. I really like that Mike saw beauty and wonder in the face of those who the world see's as not so beautiful.
Debbie
Jun 30, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book too many times over the course of many, many years, and go back to it from time-to-time. An all time favorite. My copy is extremely battered :)
Jules
Mar 09, 2014 Jules rated it really liked it
This is a great book! We are basing our Lenten worship on this book at All Saints. For the sermon series, check out the podcasts at: www.allsaintscg.org
Kevin
Apr 16, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing
I love Mike Yaconelli and miss him very much...had the chance to spend a weekend with him back in my days of youth ministry...what an inspirational person!
Deb
Jul 30, 2007 Deb rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Reading this for book club. Can't wait to finish it so I can start something good. The gospel of not being dull. No thanks. Didn't finish it, not going to.
  • Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life
  • The Signature of Jesus: The Call to a Life Marked by Holy Passion and Relentless Faith
  • Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
  • The Story of Redemption: A Concise Presentation of the Conflict of the Ages Drawn From the Earlier Writings of Ellen G. White (Christian Home Library)
  • Falling in Love with Jesus: Abandoning Yourself to the Greatest Romance of Your Life
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • The Mark of a Man
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life
  • A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I am a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, fundamentalist/calvinist, anabaptist/anglican, methodist, catholic, green, incarnational, depressed-ye...
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • Blessed are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings of Love, Compassion, and Forgiveness
  • Adventures in Prayer

“Christianity is not about learning how to live within the lines; Christianity is about the joy of coloring.” 29 likes
“I want a lifetime of holy moments. Every day I want to be in dangerous proximity to Jesus. I long for a life that explodes with meaning and is filled with adventure, wonder, risk, and danger. I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous. I want to be with Jesus, not knowing whether to cry or laugh.” 11 likes