Start by marking “Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Recapture the joy of being a child and apply it to your relationship with God. Ask the difficult questions about faith, then just take Jesus at His word.

Includes discussion guide.

Published September 16th 2003 by NavPress (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Wonder

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisSimply Revelation by T.R. EstepDesiring God by John PiperChosen By God by R.C. SproulKnowing God by J.I. Packer
Theology Top 15
40th out of 145 books — 129 voters
Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. FosterWhat's So Amazing about Grace? by Philip YanceyAbba's Child by Brennan ManningThe Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich BonhoefferThe Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
The 100 Best Books for Your Spirit
70th out of 104 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt Mancini
I have read a good number of books that would fall in the "Christian Living" category, and a good majority of those that I've read were...nice. Few of them were truly inspiring. This is one of the few.

With a measure of eloquence and grace I've not often seen in any genre, Mr. Yaconelli indicts the reader for our "maturity" and pushes us to realize the meaning of "childlike faith." Somewhere in the rush to grow up we have forgotten what wonder is like and how to experience it, and further, we've
Groups
Per Sue Bates:

The author challenges the reader to rediscover or discover their childlike faith. He gives great stories of what it means to experience God in a childlike way, and how adults can lose that over time. He pushes the reader to think through where they've put artificial boundaries on their faith and how to overcome them. The study questions at end of each chapter are excellent - really could generate great conversations and next steps for the reader.

This is one of those rare books that
Potro
This book was a life changer for me; hands down! I was so uptight before reading this book. It truly gave me more compassion and tolerance for others. To learn to play. While I go in and out of this new way of life I refer back to this book to remind me to enjoy the simple things - to live in dangerous wonder. Like a child.
Ken
"Childlike faith understands that God is as capable of destroying us as He is of saving us."
"God is not only present when we can see Him, He is present when we can't, and joy comes from recognizing God in places we never thought He would be. God hides in difficulty, He hides in suffering, He hides in poverty, He hides in failure, and He hides in the stories of our lives."
Dangerous Wonder will help you see and experience the danger and the wonder of God.
Cinnamon Dickens
I love this guy. His raw, uncluttered perspective rings more true to me than a majority of Christian authors.
Dana Goodman

A beautiful book full hope, joy and childlike freedom. I would highly recommend this book if you want to be refreshed. I would also recommend his book, "Messy Spirituality." Both books leave you feeling more connected and whole.

In the Cleft Joy Comes In the Mourning: A Story of Hope After Tragedy
Phil
An enjoyable book, with many thought-provoking statements and quotable quotes. I rushed to the end, eager to read all that it has to say. But, in reading the book so quickly, I didn't properly take hold of all the challenges and encouragements to change and develop a more childlike faith. There is, I suspect, so much more to take from this book than I did on first reading. I will have to to re-read it at least once (including the Discussion Guide, which I skipped), and take the time truly to eng ...more
Lee Parish-butler
Given to me as a gift from our parish's then youth minister. It is a great read for teens in particular. It gave me a new way of seeing Christianity. Essentially what I got was, if someone is looking for an easy, comfy, show up to services and gatherings on occasion and feel good about your spiritual status then this ain't the religion for you. Christianity demands much of us that necessitates that we be shaken out of our comfort zone. This is what I call 'kicking the pews' in order to wake folk ...more
Harry
I miss Mike Yaconelli's passion for Christ and amazing service to ministry over the years. This books helps me to be reminded of those lessons Mike taught over the years. And it has served as a continual call for me to become more childlike within my faith. A good, quick read that will stay with you in many ways. If you ever served in Youth ministry and used Youth Specialties, you will remember Mike and appreciate this book!
Cynthia
I love how Yaconelli not only demolishes the walls of my comfort zone but does so in such a simplistic and kind way.
Samuel
Dec 08, 2011 Samuel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Read as a group discussion book so it was interesting to go through the questions together. How do we recapture a child - like faith? Yaconelli poses this and other similar questions through out his book. How much do we miss in our relationship with God when we've lost our child like faith? He would say a great deal and it was fun to discover ways to return to that.
Mark Geisthardt
Mike Yaconelli cuts through all the unnecessary stuff to the heart of a living breathing Christianity and does it all with a wonderful writing style that keeps one hoping for more. I read "Dangerous Wonder" as part of a group/class and always looked forward to what Mike had to share with us next. A great read that strives to help you recapture your child like faith.
Brian Williamson
I wish there were six stars in the rating system.

There are not words to accurately describe the power and influence this book has had on me.

I believe I came to understand God better through Yaconelli's writing.

I read this shortly after becoming a Christian and it was as if God used this book to speak to me directly, assuring me that He was with me.
Matt D
Michael describes the many ways we adults drift from the wonder of childlike faith. It is especially challenging for those of us who value the productivity, efficiency, and responsibility of adulthood. Michael reminds us of the amazement we had when we first heard the things Jesus teaches. Certainly a new favorite of mine!
Robert Mako
Mike Yaconelli brought a very different perspective to the the Church that was struggling post Jesus movement. This book is a collection of stories from his life As a pastor, church leader, and foundeR of Youth Specialties. It is a fun read with a lot of personal growth thrown in among the stories. Well worth the time.
Kira
this would be a better book if i wasn't me and wasn't living in china. if, however, you are a busy american who doesn't play very often, it is well worth the read. and though it wasn't earth shaking for me, i was reminded and i learned.
Tim Kruse
Sep 27, 2007 Tim Kruse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who wants to be free
I love the child-like attitude of the writer. It excited and motivated me to not only think outside of the box, but to run away from the box and into the arms of Jesus.

And best of all... it was gift from my favorite cousin! (Go Janelle!!)
Dovie
I didn't finish. It was a recommendation from someone else...maybe I'll pick it back up again sometime, but it will be a long time from now, b/c there are too many other books i KNOW i want to read on my shelf.
Stephen
This book was a refreshing reminder of God's unconventional ways. I was stirred by this read and challenged to be more child-like in my perceptions and interpretations of my savior.
Janelle
"Christianity is not about learning how to live within the lines; Christianity is about the joy of coloring." (pg 124) Expresses the freedom and the joy that we have as Christians.
Nicole
I really liked this book. It was refreshing and encouraging. I really like that Mike saw beauty and wonder in the face of those who the world see's as not so beautiful.
Debbie
I have read this book too many times over the course of many, many years, and go back to it from time-to-time. An all time favorite. My copy is extremely battered :)
Jules
This is a great book! We are basing our Lenten worship on this book at All Saints. For the sermon series, check out the podcasts at: www.allsaintscg.org
Kevin
I love Mike Yaconelli and miss him very much...had the chance to spend a weekend with him back in my days of youth ministry...what an inspirational person!
Deb
Jul 30, 2007 Deb rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one.
Reading this for book club. Can't wait to finish it so I can start something good. The gospel of not being dull. No thanks. Didn't finish it, not going to.
Rich
Oct 15, 2007 Rich rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
i love this book and now it comes with a discussion guide. great for a small group wanting to ask questions about what it means to have a childlike faith.
Ron King
I have read this book many times and it never ceases to impact me. I love the stories and the encouragement to live dangerously in love and grace.
Danny Bennett
Another wonderful book by Yaconelli. He's a great story teller and a good reminder of child-like faith especially for seminary students.
Johnny
Exciting, challenging. Yanconelli leads the reader to rediscover the childlike qualities that are often silenced and shamed out of us.
Mike Sheley
Great words from a man who's legacy of childlikeness continues to live on! I'm challenged and encouraged every time I read these words!
  • Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • The Signature of Jesus: The Call to a Life Marked by Holy Passion and Relentless Faith
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Adventures in Missing the Point
  • The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Prophets and Kings:
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Red Letter Revolution: What If Jesus Really Meant What He Said?
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
Messy Spirituality: God's Annoying Love for Imperfect People Messy Spirituality Stories of Emergence: Moving from Absolute to Authentic (Emergent YS) Getting Fired for the Glory of God: Collected Words of Mike Yaconelli for Youth Workers [With DVD-ROM] The Core Realities of Youth Ministry: Nine Biblical Principles That Mark Healthy Youth Ministries

“Christianity is not about learning how to live within the lines; Christianity is about the joy of coloring.” 26 likes
“I want a lifetime of holy moments. Every day I want to be in dangerous proximity to Jesus. I long for a life that explodes with meaning and is filled with adventure, wonder, risk, and danger. I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous. I want to be with Jesus, not knowing whether to cry or laugh.” 6 likes