Start by marking “The Death Of Superman (Caped Crusader Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Death Of Superman (Caped Crusader Classics)

The Death Of Superman (The Death and Return of Superman #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,763 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews
The story that drew national media attention when DC Comics killed their greatest hero is collected here. When a hulking monster emerges from an underground resting place and begins a mindless rampage, the Justice League is quickly called in to stop the colossal force of nature. But it soon becomes apparent that only Superman can stand against the monstrosity that has been ...more
Published 1993 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Death Of Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death Of Superman

Alejandro
The Earth's Greatest Hero has fallen...

WHICH IS THE MONSTER THAT EVERY COMIC BOOK TITLE FEARS???

There is a monster even more terrifying and powerful than Doomsday that inflicts fear into the heart of any comic book title...

The Low Sales' Monster!

The four Superman titles selling at that time were suffering low sales, and the editorial team thought that if "nobody" was reading them, then it was better to kill off the character.

This is something hardly new in the business.

The Batman titles, ba
Andy
Jun 10, 2008 Andy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It's no wonder that this is the best selling comic book of all time. "The Death of Superman" combines everything I love about WWF pro wrestling with the tight plotting of a Michael Bay film. Forget all the psychological nuance of Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" comics, Superman is GOOD and that's all you need to know. And who is Doomsday? Where does he come from? Why does he want to kill Superman? Does it really matter? You might as well ask why Hulk Hogan needs to body slam his opponents or why Go ...more
Donovan
Apr 04, 2016 Donovan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Superman and shitty comics

(Spoilers.) What a load of horseshit. This is the most preposterous, shallow, unexplained, pointless story arc ever told. You want to kill Superman? You first need to think about everything that hasn't killed him yet. Every villain like Luthor, Brainiac, Mongul, Batman in his crazy mech suit, Anti-Monitor, all the crazy shit of Crisis, going through planet cores and stars and dimensions. I'm envisioning something incalculably huge and powerful, something I've never seen before. But no. Knowing t
Sam Quixote
Nov 30, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now that you’ve read the title you can say you’ve read the book because that’s all this comic is: the title. Superman dies. The end.

If you do decide to read this you’ll be introduced to the most one-dimensional and worst villain of all time, Doomsday. Forget that post-Death of Superman we learn more about his “character”; in this book we know nothing about him besides the fact that he’s a monster who’s been imprisoned beneath the Earth for some reason, is now free for some reason and causing ha
StoryTellerShannon
Superman may have met his match as some indestructible being (simply named “Doomsday”) filled with hate marches to Metropolis and obviously creates a path of destruction in its wake. Other JLA superheroes try to stop it but even as a group they are no match. Then Superman joins one JLA group and after they are defeated he's the only one left standing.

See Lois Lane with red hair. Watch Superman give his all against an impossible foe. See other JLA member get “pwned” even if they're third tiered s
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Cult Classic Graphic Novel READ!

But am I impressed?

Not really because I know Superman is not really dead.

I think I was in 10th grade when Superman died. Then I think it was the very next year that they brought him back.....

I've never been INTO Superman until recently when I started watching Smallville. I've always liked the idea of Superman but never have been too thrilled with him.

The Death of Superman was just that. It was ok but I wasn't thrilled.

I was shocked to see that Lex Luthor had been
Jake
It may be grossly unfair, on a literary level, to grade The Death of Superman as a graphic novel. More than any previous compilation-turned graphic novel, the serial nature of this publication seems explicit. That being said, DC Comics ultimately packaged and sold this multi-part story as a single work, which is how I encountered it this weekend. Special thanks to the group of local public libraries that diligently engage in inter-library loan, making it possible for me to read this work at no c ...more
Kirk
Dec 23, 2011 Kirk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most comic book fans know the story. DC was scheduled to do a Superman wedding run, but Louis & Clark was already going in that direction on television, so they figured killing Superman would be the next best way to boost sales.

So they set out to kill Superman (boost sales). But hey, DC had a bunch of titles that were selling like shit cakes dredged from a city gutter, so they decided to have the story arc cut across every shitty title they had in a desperate attempt to boost sales.

And it w
Michael
Things to know before reading this book:
1. Supergirl in this one is not kara Zor el. its actually matrix, a shapeshifter from a pocket universe(yes you read that right) who was created by the lex Luthor of that universe to defend their world but ultimately got destroyed. DC comics at the time wanted superman to be the last son of krypton, which ment no kara Zor el, no krypto, no zod and the phantom zone criminals.
2. Lex Luthor in this book is actually lex Luthor junior, a clone of lex Luthor w
Logan
Apr 04, 2016 Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS FOR THIS BOOK AND FOR BATMAN V SUPERMAN!

Re-Read 2016

This is one of the best superman stories ever! This was one of the first graphic novels I ever collected, heck it was the first! So spoiler Superman dies, although that was kinda obvious... But anyway per the ending of batman v superman, i decided to give this a re-read, and its still as good as when i first read it! One compliant of this story is that there's not much story, mostly correct, but Its not really suppose to, its a story
John Yelverton
Oct 02, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry for days after I read it. Heroes are not supposed to die!
Scarlet Cameo
Sep 12, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-15
Este cómic tiene muchas cosas que no me gustaron, pero creo que el principal es el papel de Supergirl (view spoiler) ...more
Scott
Aug 29, 2009 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story here is simple: This crazy strong evil monster who's REALLY REALLY ANGRY arises from somewhere and beats up the Justice League, beats up America, and then beats up Superman until they both die. The end.

That's it. I'm totally serious. I mean come on! This was the Man of Steel. The Man of Tomorrow! Krypton's ichiban ass-kicking muchacho!! And the best death story they can give him is "a big monster punched him really hard"?!?

And Lex Luthor's like: "Punching him! Of course! Why didn't I t
Nicolo Yu
At one time, this was the biggest event in comics. DC Comics killed the world’s first and greatest superhero in a crossover event that drove a record number of units out of newsstands and comic shops and probably made the biggest bubble among those who speculated in comics at that time... That bubble busted eventually, driving the entire comic industry to its knees.

Superman returned in another crossover event, but it proved that DC Comics was willing to gamble on such a risky gambit. At that tim
Mike (the Paladin)
The heading on this says it's the best selling graphic novel of all time. I can see that.

I've noted before that when young I was primarily a Marvel fan. Still, till I was 12 or so DC comics were the only ones I'd run across. Superman was the small boy's hero...as a kid I tied a towel around my neck and jumped off the porch. I ran through the house hands out "flying". For my 4yh birthday I got a "Superman suit".

And I watched the Superman TV series with George Reeves.

So of the DC heroes Superman i
Karely Madrigal camacho
Me encantó de principio a fin, se siente el peligro que puede ser Doomsday e incluso me ha dado curiosidad por saber más de él aunque me hubiera gustado ver un poco más acción de parte de la liga de la justicia aún así lo disfrute, tal vez se deba a que estaba escuchando la música de BvS añadiéndole más drama.
Charles
Jan 30, 2011 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought it was pretty weak. I might have liked it better if I'd been keeping up with reading comics but it's been a long time, and this sort of reminded me of why I don't read them much. The action parts were OK. But not much in the way of any kind of deeper story or justification for what was happening.
Helmut
Mar 07, 2013 Helmut rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Also bitte...

Wie kann man dieses Comic als das beste Superman-Band beschreiben? Es ist letztlich nichts anderes als eine recht lahme Aneinanderreihung von Schlägen. Ein einziges Splash-Panel, sozusagen. Die Zeichnungen geben kaum etwas von der in den Dialogen stehenden Dynamik und Schnelligkeit, in der der Kampf geführt wird, wieder. Der Mann, der Planeten bewegt und Atombombenexplosionen überlebt wird verwundet, weil die Knochen von Doomsday so scharf sind? Wie bitte?

Laaaaaaangweilig. Und eines
Eric
Wow. First it's funny to realize that without obsessing over this arc... and/or the internet (it was 1993!) how much you actually missed. There was a lot to the story that I hadn't realized I never got the first time around.

Sadly it takes a hit because no one has the balls to actually kill off a character. There's always going to be some absurd method for bringing the top tiered characters back to life... hell even some not so top tiered but at the end of the day this could been epic. Truly epic
Hrishi
Sep 03, 2013 Hrishi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read bits and bobs of this a while ago, so came to it thinking it'd be epic. And it was, right? Quite epic... in places. Some panels were just great, the writing passable, with some glimmers of above average... and the art in general fantastic, and less dated for my taste. But...

Maybe it was that I knew they brought him back to life soon after.. Maybe it was that the whole thing was just one long fistfight, without reason... Maybe it was the complete lack of back-story or motivation for Doom
Jason Jordan
Pretty bad! Which results from the lack of Doomsday's character development. Where's he from? Don't know. Why's he so powerful? Don't know. What's he want? Don't know. The characters explain that his motivation is to destroy, but that's not nearly enough information. Also, the Justice League B-team takes him on, too, but naturally I wanted the, ahem, A-team (consisting, primarily, of Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman) to see the action instead. The art and coloring are ...more
Nerdish Mum
I really struggled with the first half of this book and I was really not enjoying it at all so kept putting it down. As it went on the story did get better and by the end I was enjoying it, but boy did I have to work to get to that point. I also felt the artwork felt really old, far older than when it was written and drawn. A bit of a let down in my opinion.
Ramón Fernández Ayarzagoitia
Siempre es un gusto de leer. Hay estilos y tipos narrativos que no envejecieron bien, pero en muchos sentidos este es un cómic fundamental para entender la evolución (y literal muerte) del superhéroe.
Melissa
Jun 15, 2015 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a steaming turd. The only thing good about this book is that Superman dies. It's like the WWF and Justice League had a baby.
Dony Grayman
Edición argentina que incluía más páginas que la española.
Ashley Lynn
Mar 22, 2016 Ashley Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Superman fans. Comic fans. Those looking to get their heart ripped out.
Recommended to Ashley by: Found at the Library.
I AM HAVING SO MANY FEELS AND THEY HURT. WOWZA.
Josh Lafollette
The Death of Superman is a simple, straightforward story about Superman and a mysterious monster called Doomsday, as they fight their way across America. It's pretty action-heavy, but manages to squeeze in character moments in the midst of all the fighting. The massive action panels make for a quick read, but the there are quite a few iconic, engaging images in this story.
Despite the fact that this story was a crossover between five different comic series, it's very cohesive. In fact, it almost
Tehanu
>MALÍSIMO.
Simon Torres
Jun 04, 2015 Simon Torres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the last page of several comics prior to Superman: The Man of Steel #18, a gloved fist is shown punching a steel wall, accompanied by the caption: "Doomsday is coming!" In that issue, Superman fights the Underworlders while a hulking figure in a green suit rampages through a pastoral field, deliberately killing a trusting songbird -and later a deer. This marks the first of seven issues in the "Doomsday!" story, which would continue through all four of the Superman books at that time, and one ...more
L.A.
May 18, 2015 L.A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first comic I've read about which I sort of just felt, "meh." Maybe because I'm not all that up on the JLA. But still, it's not like we get much of a plot here. An seemingly unstoppable critter comes out of nowhere (though I suspect young Luthor had something to do with it) and crushes everything in its path. It doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it sure is deadly, so the JLA and Superman christen it Doomsday. Doomsday wreaks a lot of havoc. The JLA members try ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 83 The Death of Superman 1 1 Dec 09, 2015 11:10AM
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Superman: Godfall
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3
Michael "Mike" Carlin is a comic book writer and editor. He has worked principally for Marvel Comics and DC Comics since the 1970s.
More about Mike Carlin...

The Death and Return of Superman (3 books)
  • World Without a Superman