Start by marking “Vote for Larry” as Want to Read:
Vote for Larry

Vote for Larry (Gospel According to Larry #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  63 reviews
After becoming what he so clearly and strongly resisted—a consumer—Josh Swensen finds himself in a paranoid state of no return. That is, until he’s kidnapped and coaxed into resurfacing as Larry, his old activist persona. Before long, Larry is back on the scene with much more on his mind than anti-consumerism—this time, he wants to affect change in government. And Larry is...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Square Fish (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Vote for Larry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vote for Larry

Mr.G
Josh Swensen, whose dream has always been to make the world a better place, decides to run for President. After successfully building a movement to amend the Constitution's presidential age requirement, Josh begins his campaign in earnest. Author Tashjian places him as a third party progressive candidate running against Bush and Kerry in the 2004 election. The mixture of teen drama, youthful idealism, and national politics made this a unique and wonderful book. I wish every 8th grader would read...more
Fred Kirchner
I read The Gospel According to Larry a few months ago, never aware that there were not one--but two!--sequels to one of my favorite teen novels I've read this year. The Gospel According to Larry ends--(spoiler alert!)--with the protagonist's pseudocide, so I wasn't thinking a sequel would be in the works, but lo and behold, here comes: Vote for Larry!

After faking his own death, Larry (Josh) Swensen surfaces in Boudler, CO. He's going by the name of Mark and has a nifty girlfriend and some alarm...more
Kelley
Dredging the archives of my old YA blog--from back in the day when I was a YA para-librarian. Awesome!

Vote for Larry, the sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, is the tale of Larry’s run for President. I can’t reveal too much about it because it would give away a lot that happens in the first book. But I can say that one of my favorite things about the book is how current it is—the issues are practically up to the minute, the election Larry runs in is mirrored on our current presidential elec...more
Kelly
I wish there were more Larrys in the world -- passionate teens (heck PEOPLE) dedicated to making the world a better place to live. In Janet Tashjian's sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, Josh Swenson (a.k.a. Larry) returns after having faked his own death to run for president. He is pitted against Kerry and Bush in the 2004 election, running on the Peace party platform. As a teen who will be voting for the first time, his goal isn't to win the presidency, but instead to inspire young citize...more
Sophia
Not bad. Not snazztastic. But then again, definitely not my usual type of book. Kind of strange. Kind of normal. There was mystery, politics, crazy ideas, and a whole bunch of stuff mixed in in a non-overwhelming way. Some insane ideas. Some practical. Some the right kind of crazy. This was an interesting, fast, read.
Mawa Mahima
Vote for Larry: Going Political

Larry wants to change the world. I want(ed) to change the world too but then I realised I was being naive what with all the obstacles around me - there were way too many for me to jump on the political wagon. So apart from signing online petitions and giving my two cents to whatever discussion we were having about the latest headlines in class, I buried my dreams of working in the UN, helping my country move on and actually help people, making sure those millennium...more
Louis
This book is a sequel to "The Gospel according to Larry". Set during the election of 2004, Tashjian slides in many statistics about the current inequities in our election system and the lack of influence of the everyday citizen. Larry comes back after his pseudocide, and becomes a presidential candidate with the Peace Party. The story has a lot of positive developments and good new characters since "The Gospel".

On the negative side, it is one setback after another by some mysterious nemesis. Af...more
MsEarthIntruder
I'm wavering between 3 and 4 stars on the Larry series. I don't know that I really like them but I really do enjoy them. 3.5 stars, I guess.

What annoyed me: many too many footnotes in the beginning; when Josh thought it would be okay to dress as (his interpretation of) a Native American while giving his first campaign speech about the Boston Tea Party (cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation, even in context); that Josh actually said something about "taking back" the country; and lastly...more
Alessandra
This was supposed to be a mini-review, because I thought I didn't have much to say about this book. While writing the post, however, I realized something that bothered me, and the mini-review became a full-fledged one.

Spoiler alert: there's no way of summarizing the plot for the second installment in the Larry series without spoilering the ending of The Gospel According to Larry. Read at your own risk!

Josh Swensen, aka Larry, is back. After committing "pseudocide", that is killing his alter ego...more
Emma
Sep 13, 2009 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill
I just spent the last four hours reading this book... it was absolutely incredible. Personally, I thought this book was better than the previous one. However, for people uninterested in politics (that's right folks: Politics), this novel is probably a little gory. This one pokes fun at our previous administration (my personal favorite is at the presidential debate where he [Josh/Larry:] knocks the socks off George W. Bush, who happens to have toilet paper stuck to his shoe) and includes a huge a...more
Elliot
Chelsea  Applegate
After the book Gospel According to Larry, Josh Swensen finds himself in a paranoid state of no return. That is, until he’s kidnapped and coaxed into resurfacing as Larry, his old activist persona. Before long, Larry is back on the scene with much more on his mind than anti-consumerism—this time, he wants to affect change in government. And Larry isn’t taking a conventional path or starting small in local government. He just doesn’t do things halfway. But can he really become an eighteen-year-old...more
Kris
I swear, I had to keep checking the pub date as I read. 2004? Doesn't this sound like today?
"The headlines were full of one horrifying piece of news after another. War, cutbacks, terrorism, states of alert, secret government meetings, citizens' rights being violated - the list went on and on. How had we gone from a country of peace and prosperity to one of such deep-rooted anxiety and panic? Were these feelings warranted, or was our government bombarding us with so much horrible news that no one...more
Dan
I thought this book was not bad but kinda dissapointed in the ending to it. Josh Swenson (Larry) was a young guy who faked a seuicide and tried to hide in colorado. But later when he has to go up against the press and show who he really is, thats what will haunt him, especially if you have to be in the running for being the president. His goals were good which I thought was good. to others it may be a little bit boring. But you need to remember that this book was meant for young adults and they...more
Emily
the way he takes on the world without stopping is very inspiring, and his grief is also so real and depicted so well that it's really beautiful. he has such a stronger personality, yet he is in some ways still a child. this book would really help anyone dealing with grief. there's this one line, when he goes into the hole, and he is thinking about when he was building the hole... it's so simply stated, but so beautiful.

"I came into the hole right after my mom died, and when I finally came out,...more
Sophie D
Feb 10, 2014 Sophie D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sophie by: School
I loved this book! Even better than the first although maybe a little more complex and politicy.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 13, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 12 and up
Shelves: youngadult
In this sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, Josh comes out from hiding after faking his death, and decides to get reinvolved in all the issues that are so important to him. He decides to run for president, and just like with his website, things snowball into something huge.
I loved all the stuff about elections, but I thought the threat from betagold was over the top and unbelievable. It didn't keep me from enjoying the story. I would gladly read more of the adventures of Larry.
Ashley
After "The Gospel According to Larry," I looked forward to a sequel, and when I finally found a copy I was ecstatic. What ruined the book for me was the lack of realism that permeated the first book. It became very much apparent that Larry is fictional, and that his world is only a symbolic approximation of ours. There's still truth and good storytelling, but Tashjian loses the feeling of "oh man, I can do that!"
Jan
This is a companion book to The Gospel According to Larry, but can be read independently. It would be a good book to add to the curriculum for civics/government high school classes. It has an inspirational message that young people can get involved in politics and have an influence on what happens in America. But this is not boring! The characters are likeable and it is a fast read.
Kim
Josh Swenson, the voice of anti consumerism in The Gospel According to Larry, resurfaces after his faked death. Kidnapped by his best friend/potential squeeze Beth, he is thrust back into the activist limelight. Why not run for President? He can raise issues without the pressure of having to serve. Great plan, but. . .

LOTS of contemporary issues young adults can sing their teeth into.
Jen
I tried, i really did. And while it was good to tie up a few loose ends from the ending of the first book, I found myself skipping to the end to wrap it up. Again, some language. (I find myself less and less tolerant of it) and WOW a lot of philosophy. This time about politics. Maybe I'm jaded, but I just couldn't take it. There's a third book, but I don't think I will partake.
Jeff Raymond
Sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, which was about this web celebrity who gets fame and fortune by convincing people to live anti-consumerist hippie lives. The sequel has him running for President at age 18 in the 2004 race. It's amazingly preachy, but still a decent and fun read, especially with the concept of him struggling with his principles against some pretty crazy odds.
Janet
I did enjoy this book enough to give it four stars, but I liked "The Gospel According to Larry" slightly better than this sequel. "The Gospel" seemed a bit more plausible to me (if that matters in fiction) and also more intriguing and suspenseful. Reading "Vote" is still well-spent time, and I'm looking forward to "Larry and the Meaning of Life."
Nicole
Mar 09, 2010 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Larry Lovers
Shelves: ya
I agree with Steph's review...

Beat you over the head didactic, and yet still an enjoyable read. (Daisy chain, anyone? Just kidding...give me Victorian rhetoric any day.)

I did like that sex in the mud pit business though. Daisy Chain didn't have any mud pits. And there sure as heck wasn't any sex. Victorians didn't even have ankles, after all.
Kaci
Book two in the series about Josh, aka Larry, a teenager who is trying to save the world from consumerism. corporate greed, and poverty. In this installment, Josh finds himself running for president. The end result is that 96% of voters age 10-24 show up to vote. I really liked this book and look and look forward to reading the third.
Anton
Similar style as 'the gospel according to Larry' where the narrator is an author presenting someone elses story. fast forward to the actual story and narrator is an 18 year old kid. without spoiling anything, i read it fast and furious which lame books don't work for. as good as 'the gospel' better than 'meaning of life'
Stephanie
I am continually amazed at how Tashjian can be so didactic and yet so fun. I enjoyed The Gospel According to Larry more than this follow-up, but it was still a fun book with quite a bit to say about today's society and the current state of politics in the US. If you really enjoyed The Gospel it's worth your time.
Jenny
Josh committed pseudocide after the media discovered he was Larry, an online anti-consumerism guru. Now, after two years in hiding, Josh is out to change the world again. He is running for president of the United States. With help from his stepfather and old flame Beth, Josh/Larry may just have a shot at the big leagues.
Lori
Apr 04, 2011 Lori rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults & fans of Jesse Eisenberg
Recommended to Lori by: I already listened to the first in the series.
This is a sequel to The Gospel According to Larry and I enjoyed it just as much as the first one. Jesse Eisenberg was an excellent choice to read this book and he really gave an excellent portayal of the main character. All the characters are clearly defined, and there were some twists in the plot that I did not see coming.
Jenn
Maybe I should have read the first book. I understood the premise of this book - everyone should vote and give a crap about the issues of today. I just couldn't believe the premise that an 18 year old kid could run fir president, change the laws and gave debates with Mr. Bush. Crazy and somewhat pointless.
  • Dishes
  • In the Shadow of the Ark
  • The Long Night of Leo and Bree
  • The Shadow Club (Shadow Club, #1)
  • This Thing Called the Future
  • The Lightkeeper's Daughter
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • Tangled Threads: A Hmong Girl's Story
  • Sang Spell
  • After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away
  • The Trap
Janet Tashjian is a middle-grade and young adult novelist who’s been writing books for children for fifteen years. Her first novel Tru Confessions was made into a critically acclaimed Disney TV movie starring Clara Bryant and Shia LaBeouf. The Gospel According to Larry is a cult favorite and Fault Line is taught in many middle and high schools. Her novels My Life As a Book, My Life As a Stuntboy,...more
More about Janet Tashjian...
The Gospel According to Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #1) My Life as a Book My Life as a Stuntboy Fault Line Multiple Choice