Start by marking “Stalemate: A Shocking True Story of Child Abduction and Murder” as Want to Read:
Stalemate: A Shocking True Story of Child Abduction and Murder

Stalemate: A Shocking True Story of Child Abduction and Murder

To one investigator, only one person could be responsible for the disappearance and murder of little girls in the San Francisco Bay area, and that was Timothy James Bindner. For 10 years, Bindner has stayed one step ahead of the law; at every turn, he has challenged the police and FBI to make their case. Featuring the suspect's own words, "Stalemate" takes us into the comp ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published September 2nd 1997 by Bantam (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Stalemate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalemate

Serial Killer Case Files by R.J. ParkerThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleUnsolved Serial Killings by R.J. ParkerGreen River, Running Red by Ann RuleSerial Killers by Peter Vronsky
True Crime--Serial killers
36th out of 134 books — 147 voters
Witch Song by Amber ArgyleGifted by Karey WhiteBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Thirteenth Chime by Emma  Michaels
It's All In The Eyes
56th out of 256 books — 150 voters

More lists with this book...

Bettye McKee
May 13, 2016 Bettye McKee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still unsolved

This book is about a number of child abductions and possible murders in northern California as some of the bodies were never found. One or more men were taking little girls from their yards or neighborhoods. Despite eyewitnesses and a composite drawing, no one was ever arrested.

The main suspect in some of the abductions was Timothy Bindner. He visited the homes and searched for the missing children which aroused the suspicions of the police, a situation that never changed. Although
Kimberleena
Oct 13, 2013 Kimberleena rated it really liked it
Creepy book. It was like a train wreck I couldn't look away from. This book hits close to home. I lived in the bay area at the time these girls disappeared, and will be living not far from where one disappeared from her front yard. It's creepy to think that the dude all the evidence points to has outsmarted the police for this long, and is still living in the bay area.
Jessica
Dec 08, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Not your typical true crime formula within this book, i.e. crime->investigation->the chase->the capture->trial->conviction. Instead there are crimes, and investigations and the chase of the suspect but that's where it ends. The law doesn't get it's man at the end of this book. It's disturbing. The author leaves it up to the reader to decide whether or not they feel the main suspect is guilty or innocent.

This books tells the stories of a number of young girls who were abducted out
Meaghan
Mar 27, 2008 Meaghan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: true crime and mystery buffs
Despite the sensational title and cover, this book, written by an FBI profiler, is actually fairly subdued in tone. It covers the famous, unresolved rash of abductions in the San Francisco bay area in the 1980s and 1990s and the prime suspect, a sewage worker named Timothy Bindner. Bindner has never been charged with anything relating to the missing girls, but he has never been ruled out a suspect either. Tantalizing circumstances link him to the girls, and he is definitely a pedophile in the ve ...more
Myrna
Jan 07, 2016 Myrna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does The Perpetrator know He Is a Perpetrator?

Why would someone relish being a suspect to vile crimes he claims he didn't commit? The reader is propelled to keep reading expecting an obvious outcome. In the end it is disappointing that the obvious never happens.
Karen
Dec 15, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
I will say that Tim Bindner is either a genius manipulating murderer or an intelligent man with serious mental issues. After thoroughly reading this book, I'm choosing the former. Here is a man who knew exactly how to play the cops and the media and probably gotten away with several murders. By being "eccentric" and putting himself out there he managed to cover his crimes well. If only it weren't way too late to get DNA evidence.

What I find extremely odd is the composite drawing of the man who a
Kathy Larsen
So So book

When I am able to put a book down and not pick it up for several days, I call a so so book. My heart goes out to the families that have lost their children.
pat doll
Nov 07, 2015 pat doll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stalemate

Very sad that this is an unsolved murder, and I do believe Timothy is guilty! What happened to the man?
Vicente Lopez
May 21, 2013 Vicente Lopez rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Good read. Gets a little bogged down at times and turns into a tough "just gotta make it through this section" book. But, it's an interesting story none the less. You won't be disappointed for reading it.

Be sure you note the dates mentioned and keep clear track of them in your mind. The book references a lot of information mentioned in previous chapters, and can get confusing if you can't remember when they happened. And hopping back and forth around the book to refresh your memory isn't all tha
Amy
Sep 19, 2016 Amy added it
Shelves: never-finished
I have yet to finish this book. I would like to finish it, yet there is no pull other than to say I finished it. As I read the book it keeps me entertained, but when I put the book down, I am not drawn back to it.
♥ Marlene♥
tried to read and thought it was great but once I realised the killer was never caught I could not read anymore. Once he is caught I hope soon, I would love to try again.
Zinnia
Jan 23, 2011 Zinnia rated it liked it
Very good insights into the perspectives of the various people involved - suspects, investigators, victims & their families.
Kevin
Apr 11, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
Decent. Admire the author not taking sides in this one. Difficult case.
Julie White
Julie White marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Lyndsay
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Ho Lung
Ho Lung rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Anne Evans
Anne Evans marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
HM frye
HM frye marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Tara Hogan
Tara Hogan rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Robin Smith
Robin Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Sommer
Sommer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive
  • The Boy in the Box: The Unsolved Case of America's Unknown Child
  • Ted and Ann: The Mystery of a Missing Child and Her Neighbor Ted Bundy
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History
  • Hunting the Devil: The Pursuit, Capture and Confession of the Most Savage Serial Killer in History
  • The Good-Bye Door: The Incredible True Story of America's First Female Serial Killer to Die in the Chair (True Crime)
  • Amelia Dyer: Angel Maker
  • The 4 O'Clock Murders: The True Story of a Mormon Family's Vengeance
  • Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
196111
Author John Philpin, one of the first independent criminal profilers, is an internationally recognized expert on violent behavior and criminal investigation. Philpin is a frequent consultant to law enforcement and the media.

Philpin has been a guest commentator on Court TV, 20/20 Downtown, Unsolved Mysteries, America's Most Wanted, Inside Edition, Chronicle, The Geoff Metcalf Show, The Jim Bohannon
More about John Philpin...