Start by marking “The Sisters Mortland” as Want to Read:
The Sisters Mortland

The Sisters Mortland

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  871 ratings  ·  137 reviews
This powerful and haunting story about three sisters and a tragedy that becomes the center of their lives is from the acclaimed "New York Times" bestselling author of "Destiny."
Published February 14th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisters Mortland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisters Mortland

Randee
Where do I join the Sally Beauman fanclub? I didn't know her 2 months ago and now this is the second book by her I've read (first was 'The Visitors') and both get 5 stars from me. How do I love Sally? Let me count the ways:

1. She can write like nobody's business (ahem-to coin a phrase)
2. She plots her stories well with complex characters and intricate detail
3. You can take the story at face value, but her themes revolve around the bigger picture of humanities brilliance, flaws and emotions
4. Twi
Chris
At first reminiscent of Atonement, the book evolves into something different, and to me, as interesting, as McEwan's book, but without the self-consciousness 'writerliness' that distracts me in McEwan's work. A working class gypsy boy grows up to become a successful but destructively driven advertising guy. As a child he lives in a cottage on the threadbare estate of a family that exists on the sufferage of wealthy relatives. The family has three daughters, and each of them plays an important ro ...more
Margaret
I loved this book. Excellently written. Each character has a unique voice. It's narrative by three different characters, but instead of switching back and forth, each character tells a part of the story. Story line was unpredictable. It was a sad story, but by the end you felt ok with how things worked out. Very vivid descriptions of the various settings.
Victoria
This was quite a haunting book; one of the few adult novels I've forayed into. The characters and relationships were very well done and well narrated though, and the story stayed with me a long time.

The Sisters Mortland is the story of, what else, three sisters, living in an abandoned English abbey. There is Julia, the gorgeous, sexy eldest daughter with a wild streak; Finn, the bookish middle sister with the most level personality and mind; and Maisie, the youngest, who is quiet, has a mild me
Marigold
I'd give it two & a half stars. A decent way to waste some time & a good airplane read, which is exactly where I read the first half of it. It starts out really well. The first part is narrated by Maisie, who at first glance seems to be an overly precocious 13 year old girl - but you later find she's mildly autistic. I found her narration intriguing - I liked the setting in the old Suffolk abbey - the 3 sisters - the gypsies - the Wild Boy in the Window - so much more could have been don ...more
Emily
Alright, y'all. You're going to have to read this book because I need to talk with someone about it. I tore through it in no time and then had to start it over the day after I finished it - just because I still had questions. (I still have those questions by the way, this is why I want you to read it.) I've decided to put this book in my new favorite genre of novel that I just made up - I'm calling it neo-Bronte. (My other favorite neo-Bronte book is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.) I ...more
Janine Tangney
I wanted to really love this book. The book summary set the stage for a novel I would really enjoy, alluding to a dark family tragedy that compounds already complicated relationships. I expected a careful interweaving of events and people - a book that was haunting in its complexity, a bit like Ethan Frome. Instead, I felt that it read more like a sensational tabloid that undermined its own main characters (how could we like them when they treated each other - and themselves - so horribly?) and ...more
Jess
Nov 03, 2011 Jess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I actually have no idea what happened at the end of this book because my copy got as far as page 406 and then jumped back to page 342. But I'm still counting this as having read it because by that point I kind of didn't care about any of these terrible people anymore. I think I'm just burned out on stories about financially struggling British families who randomly own crumbling centuries-old ancestral castles, the rich relatives who shun them, and the people they have sex with. There are a lot o ...more
Jaci
The three Mortland sisters are the focus for all the other characters. The twenty years covered in the novel uncover each character's misunderstanding of what actually occurred with the resultant reparations.
p.302: That was what I saw, what I finally understood, when I stood looking at the painting in the gallery yesterday: the three sisters, and all those dead, all those generations of the dead, who were both with them, and inside them; who are beside, and inside, all of us. Who are in and with
Mariah
At a certain point in this book I had to accept that I wasn't going to receive the answers I was hoping for. I found that frustrating but strangely cathartic. This book is life (although, I will agree with another reviewer who stated that an event in the last 100 pages was a bit too extraordinary) and in life events happen to which we never discover the 'why'.

Sally Beauman is a beautiful writer. The way she uses language is stunning. I loved immersing myself in the world she created and now tha
One of the best choices I have ever made in the "bought it randomly because it was a bargain book and looked intriguing" category. The first portion is set in 1967 narrated by a 13 year old girl, while the rest of the book is set 20+ years later as the characters grapple with unravelling the events of that ultimately tragic summer. Interesting character studies and suspenseful though not quite a mystery. Also randomly this is about the 5th book I have read this year set in part in the decaying e ...more
Amy
Quite a strange and almost depressing book. But interesting - I still find myself thinking about it, weeks later
Sheila Woofter
This is possibly the best book I've ever read! A solid 5 at the very least. Relationships: sisters, parents and children, boys and girls, men and women, communities. The same event interpreted by different characters. Much to ponder. Much to talk about. Definitely worth another read - or two - or three!
Coleen
12/26/06 - I loved this book. It's a wonder to me why it's not more well-known. I read a review of it on Bookreporter.com (in the U.S. it's called "The Sisters Mortland") and thought it sounded interesting. It's a hard book to describe, I think, or at least to write my thoughts without spoiling anything. It drew me in almost from the beginning and throughout the whole thing, you get this undercurrent of mystery and intrigue, and you're waiting to see what will be revealed. I would also say that ...more
Beth
Every character in this book is keeping secrets. Twenty years after tragedy hits the Mortland family, the truth about the accident, and all the family secrets, start to unravel, almost to the point that the reader feels out of control. When I started this book i felt I had stepped into a Jane Austen novel. It was interesting enough, but then this pleasant story slowly started taking some dark turns, and didn't stop until the whole thing was over. I believe my mouth was a gap when I finished. Whi ...more
I first ran across Sally Beauman in the early nineties, when, as I ran through Heathrow to catch a flight back to Boston, I stopped into Smith’s to buy something to read on the plane. Grabbing her bestseller, Destiny, I settled into my seat and was TOTALLY absorbed for eight hours. She can really write a potboiler ( and I say this with the greatest respect) and hasn’t lost her touch through the years.
The Sister Mortland is set in England, and we meet the three sisters, Julia, Finn and Maisie at
Roberta
The Sisters Mortland (titolo originale The Landscape of Love, apparentemente una citazione da Rilke, titolo italiano Ritratto di ragazza) ricorda vagamente I Capture the Castle: una famiglia di origini nobili e ricche, impoverita ed eccentrica, risiede in un ex convento decisamente bisognoso di riparazioni. Le citazioni presenti in questo romanzo sono molteplici, però l'atmosfera è decisamente originale.

Ichar
The Landscape of Love is a compelling novel with a complex plot about three sisters from a dysfunctinal family. The story flicks between three narrators, time periods and revolves around misconceptions, betrayals, secrets and a tragic incident that occurs one hot summer day. Even though the book has an unhappy ending, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I found the novel's mysteries much alluring and captivating. Definately a book worth reading.
Sue
Crappy book! When I first started reading this book, I thought I hit the jackpot. The first quarter of the book is written from the perspective of a little girl and I really enjoyed it. Then it switches gears and is writted from the perspective of one of the male figures in the beginning of the book. That's where the book goes from great to crappy! The character is impossible to like and I couldn't wait for the stupid story to end!
Carol
This book reminded me a bit of Atonement, different narrators telling the story and who knows where the truth really lies. Sally Beuman is an excellent story-teller and her use of the tarot to flesh this novel out was intriguing. Her descriptions of the abbey and Suffolk, England are very precise. A bit long, a bit confusing but all in all a good read. I definetly will go back and read another of Ms. Beuman's books.
Monica
I was equal parts frustrated and enthralled with this book. Dozens of times throughout the book I'd get to the point of closing it because it was starting to feel a little slow and disjointed then the clever author would toss me a little something, a little clue to something bigger, that'd have me frantically turning more pages. I couldn't put it down until it was finished so that says plenty!
Margie
Jul 04, 2012 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margie by: Goodreads
Shelves: fiction
I was desperate for some fiction to keep me company at 2 a.m. when sleep is elusive and econ books make my brain work, rather than allowing it to relax. In my desperation I turned to the Goodreads recommendations page. It recommended The Sisters Mortland, so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did. This would make a great airplane or beach read.
Clare
A book written from several points of view, disturbing in its slow evolution of a story of many characters, shows us we all have misconceptions of how things happen. Not perfect, too wordy at times but the characters still had me intrigued.

*** This is the same book as The Sisters Mortland??
Laurie
All of the different voices are told so distinctively. Well done, I thought. Starts out interesting enough, moves into a mystery of sorts and ultimately ends up as a kind of slice-of-melancholy life piece. To me anyway. Parts of this are just heartbreakingly beautiful.
Emily
This is a very well written and thought out novel that keeps you wanting more. I read it in a day because it was so suspenseful! Haunty plot line and multi-layered characters. I was a little offended by the language, but the great plot balanced it out.
Kailey
Misha
The Landscape of Love/The Sisters Mortland

Rating 4.5 stars

Beautifully written, haunting and gripping right till the end. Reminds me a bit of The Distant Hours and The House at Riverton - both by Kate Morton.
Nicole Lavin Williams
Ok, well-written story, and captivating. That being said, 4 stars instead of 5 because of the last 100 pages. A little bit of a stretch, a little bit difficult to believe. A little disappointed with the ending.
Linda Denning
I kept needing to talk to someone who had read this book... things just kept popping up and surprising me! Loved it. Will definately re-read someday... Thanks Karolyn and Patti!
Yolanda
A real page turner with a bit of a red herring that got me - which is unusual. It's full of secrets, tragedy and all kinds of love! I'm glad my reading group chose this book.
Has anyone read this? 3 23 Jan 17, 2015 08:08AM
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: The Man Who Created The Lord of the Rings
  • The Pleasing Hour
  • The Night Journal
  • In The Place of Fallen Leaves
  • The Children on the Top Floor
  • For the Term of His Natural Life
  • De värnlösa (Häxmästaren, #7)
  • Family Happiness
  • Ice Trap
  • A Factory of Cunning
  • Human Croquet
  • The Loner
  • The Firemaster's Mistress (Francis Quoynt #1)
  • An Unequal Marriage: Or, Pride and Prejudice Twenty Years Later
aka Vanessa James

Sally Kinsey-Miles was born on 25 July 1944 in Devon, England, UK. She graduated from Girton College, Cambridge (MA in English Literature) She married Christopher Beauman an economist. After graduating, she moved with her husband to the USA, where she lived for three years, first in Washington DC, then New York, and travelled extensively. She began her career as a journalist in Am
More about Sally Beauman...
Rebecca's Tale The Visitors Destiny Dark Angel Lovers and Liars