Start by marking “Brooklyn Bridge” as Want to Read:
Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"It so happens that the work which is likely to be our most durable monument, and to convey some knowledge of us to the most remote posterity, is a work of bare utility; not a shrine, not a fortress, but a bridge."
So wrote one architectural critic of the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the grandest and most eloquent monuments to the American spirit that our country has produced.
Published May 1st 2001 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Brooklyn Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brooklyn Bridge

Jameisha
I don’t think I’ve ever read a picture book like this. I really liked it. I didn’t know much about the Brooklyn bridge except that it’s in New York, but after reading this I learned a lot about the bridge, it’s inventors, and the process of constructing it. Sometimes I think we don’t recognize how neat and exciting history can be, and this book showed me that. Everybody has heard of the Brooklyn Bridge, but they probably don’t think about how something so complex was created during a time when p ...more
Robin
Amazing story of the time and physical effort to build the Brooklyn Bridge, the world's first steel suspension bridge, the "8th wonder of the world." I had no idea the foundations were dug by hand; Curlee's clean diagrams helped me to envison how this back-breaking work was done, and the text enlightened me as to what miserable conditions the men worked in, and who the men who dug the foundations were. I also didn't know that so many people got "the bends" as the foundation for one of the two to ...more
Amanda
This is an informational picture book for older readers age 8-12. This book describes and talks about the Brooklyn Bridge. From the engineering behind it to the contributions for each person that worked on it, the book is very detailed. The bridge was finished in 1883 after 16 years in the making and many people put their heart and soul into the construction of the massive bride. This book tells the story of he Roebling family and their journey with the bridge. Many of the workers were injured, ...more
Amie Sergio
Amazing illustrations and access features. Contains several diagrams and maps of Brooklyn bridge. Also provides the specifications of the Brooklyn Bridge such as its total weight, total length, number of cables, and so forth. A book that can be greatly appreciated by those who live in New York and who are interested in architecture. Shares the purpose of why the bridge was built, who helped in creating the bridge, what happend during its creation, and how it was the subject of many movies, novel ...more
Brindi
2002 Sibert Honor

Such an interesting subject...how Brooklyn Bridge was built.

and the ending made me tear up because it mentioned the Twin Towers, and by mention I mean they were still there at the time, which means this book was probably published in early 2001. Therefore, my co-worker and I wonder if it's one of the reasons it won the honor...
earthy
Nice artwork combining acrylics and photography. Good historical info on the design and building of the Brooklyn Bridge. However, the narrative didn't do a very good job of drawing me in--I was somewhat bored throughout much of the technical information. Probably a good choice for a kid interested in architecture and/or history.
Lisa Ford
This had great facts and pictures about how the bridge was built and how the engineer who designed it was really ahead of his time. It was interesting for even me who is not very into engineering and bridge building. It is also on the Sibert, Orbis, and Notable list.
Kristine Pratt
A rather meaty book for kids (I was surprised at the level of detail) explaining how the Brooklyn Bridge was built. I am amazed on reading this, and learned quite a bit that I never knew. These builders were absolutely genius to figure it out like this.

Great book!
Anndee
Kid's book. I picked this one up on a whim since I've always been interested in how this bridge was built. I even caught my son reading it this morning during breakfast. Good diagrams help to explain the bridge.
Jackson
A little over BrookPie's head, but because of the title she likes to hear from it. It is great information packed into a children's book ...
Emily
Informational read about the Brooklyn Bridge for elementary or junior high level.
Vicki Hinesley
Ada
Ada added it
Aug 15, 2015
Cynthia DiAngelo
Cynthia DiAngelo marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Nonso
Nonso marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Joanno
Joanno is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Gottaquilt
Gottaquilt marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Britney Boyajian
Britney Boyajian marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Becky B
Becky B marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Penny Johnson
Penny Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Rushmore Liberty Mythological Creatures: A Classical Bestiary Trains