Shadow Dance

Shadow Dance

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  34 reviews

What Lurks in the Dark Shadows of the Heart?

Most men who see Amanda Charles dance worship her from afar. But one "admirer" is getting too close to the glamorous showgirl...perilously close. The looks, style, and grace that make Amanda sparkle on stage have now made her something else: the target of a serial killer.

Detective Tristan MacLaughlin has drawn the case that is p

Published September 3rd 2002 by Avon (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Dance

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAlmost Heaven by Judith McNaughtThe Bride by Julie Garwood
My Favorite Romance Authors
249th out of 951 books — 648 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
491st out of 1,282 books — 1,610 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindi
This could have been a really good book but the back-story was so boring that I found myself wanting to skip over most of it. I didn't because I kept hoping it would say more about Tristan's back-story. But of course it only went on and on about Amanda's. Tristan's character was great. Amanda's was like "Oh my God, enough already!" What a brat. I had a hard time getting through this book. I could not stand Amanda and that just ruined the whole thing for me.
Sheri
Shadow Dance (Susan Andersen)
Is a romance/thriller. Amanda Charles is a beautiful Reno Showgirl. When dancers are being murdered, detective Tristan MacLaughlin is called in from Seattle to solve the crime.

Amanda soon becomes the target of the serial killer, and while Tristan tries to protect her, his presence in her life seems to put her in more danger. A good who-done-it with romance on the side.
Maggie
This book is one of SA most earlier books, first published in 1989, and then 2002.
It is more suspenseful then her other books that I have read. We still get plenty of humor.
Scottish/American Detective Tristan MacLaughtlin goes from Seattle to Reno to set up a task force to apprehend the show girl slayer. He really does not want this case. He believes show girls are only one step up from hookers.
Amanda Charles. friend of the last girl murdered, clashes straight off with Tristan, sparks fly. He mo...more
Tina
I love this book. Aside from pacing issues early on, this is a really great read. The characters are great. Believable, endearing. They all did some questionable things, but I feel that that made them more human for me. They weren't perfect, or too-good-to-be-true.

The writing — hello? Susan Andersen? — is excellent. Even though Shadow Dance was originally published in 1989 it was brought enough up to date where it's not noticeable at all. And being Andersens first novel, I'm blown away at how we...more
A'ndrea
Geeze, I get why I put this book down twice before starting it a 3rd time. It was tough to get through, however more then half way through it picked up a bit. I liked the characters ok, but I wasn't a fan of the best friend Rhonda, who constantly referred to Amanda as "Kiddo". Amanda was a year older then you Rhonda. I just don't see someone saying that non-stop to their younger friend. Anyways, it was a slow go for me. I'm usually a big fan of Susan Andersen books, this one just didn't do it fo...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Most men who see Amanda Charles worship her from afar.But one admirer is getting to close to the glamorous showgirl. There is a serial killer out there who is killing showgirls and he is getting perilously close to Amanda. Detective Tristan MacLaughlin has drawn the case. He is falling in love with Amanda, He never imagined that by wanting her and trying to protect her he,d place her in the gravest danger of all. Can he catch the killer before its to late.
Anita Fleming
I have read almost every other book that Susan Andersen has written and loved almost all of them. Shadow Dance was her first book and I'm glad I didn't read it until now or I might have never read another. Excess verbiage is a major problem with book. Not that she says the same things over and over, but that there is just so much description and so little of it moves the plot along. I also spotted the villain right off and I really hate that.
Carrie
TBR Reading Challenge 2011

Not a bad effort early effort by Andersen. Her writing is good, but she adds extraneous details that, while not badly written, don't forward the plot. I couldn't quite put my finger on why it doesn't work, because I've read descriptive books that I've enjoyed immensely. But the details here were mostly unnecessarily wordy back story.

The main characters were great, and the mystery was decent. Overall a good book.
Sara
A serial killer is working his way through the dancers in Reno. One of them happens to be a fellow dancer, friend, and tenant of Amanda. Enter MacLaughlin, a very self-contained police detective from Seattle. She's sad and on edge, he's grumpy and single-minded in trying to protect. They seem to shatter each other's composure on a regular basis, but can they survive the search for the killer with their bodies and hearts intact?
Miranda
Meh. Typical late 80's romantic suspense with some updates for the re-release. Poor little me rich girl meets macho cop. Insert typical dialogue here, here, and here. I hated the heroine, the plot was stop and go and there were some holes that weren't filled in. I would have liked to know more about Tristan's past since it seemed more interesting than Amanda's.
Dana
I thought this was wonderful, one of the first books I ever read by SA. The suspense was top notch, the characters were well developed and Tristan...yum. I can still conjur up his Scottish broque in my head. I loved their interactions, I loved the background on the characters, I loved the emotional honesty. Loved it.
Jeri
A good read about a Las Vegas dancer and a police detective hunting a serial killer who preys on showgirls. This is one Susan Andersen's earlier titles and it shows somewhat in a less polished writing style. But the mixture of earthy sexiness, real emotions, and a reasonable amount of suspense really works for me.
Donna
Another book from Ms. Andersen's "accent" period...Actually this one was pretty good. The suspense was better than the romance and someone raised in an American orphanage would NOT have had a thick Scottich accent and a vocabulary sprinkled with Scottish dialect! The ending was kind of sweet, though.
Tracey Risebrow
This was a good book – 4.5 stars. This is one of her earliest books and is a romantic suspense. I absolutely loved loved loved the hero and the build up between him and Amanda. There was a good suspense plot going on but for me the interaction between the protagonists was the highlight.
Betty
Nov 10, 2008 Betty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cosy mysteries
Different type of stalker story, characters are interesting and the story flows. Amanda does not seem to realize (or ignores) the danger she is in. I enjoyed the book, it was a little different than most stalker stories, gentler. Leans more toward a cosy than a thriller.
Shannon
Some of the back story was dreadfully dull and long winded however everything else was GREAT!!! My only disappointment was they never explained how Tristan manage to have Scottish accent.
Kathi
Did not like this book at all. I skipped huge chunks of it just to force myself to get through it. Way too many longing gazes that did nothing to contribute to the storyline.
Susan
Excllnt mrdr/stlkr cop procdral~dancr Amanda helps Lt Tristan find serlkllr, shs 2 prfct, hs 2 scots, prfssnl, robotc~ frwrks whn they let slip facade
Sherri Hayes
Loved this book. It is my favorite by Susan Andersen. Tristen's story really drew me to him and I wanted for him to find happiness and love.
Mom
I enjoyed this book. It was interesting that it included a detective from Seattle and Reno dancers.
Neha Oberoi
You could do a lot more with the banter and the story. The chemistry was hot though.
Gamatst
My least favorite of the Romantic suspense books written by Susan Andersen.

Elaine
I actually bought this book by mistake but it was a good one just the same!
Jenny Rebecca
This is one of my favorite books. I love Tristan!
Haylie
I absolutly loved it!! SOOO GOOD, in every way possible!
Marianne
Like this author, her plots and her romance
Katie
Again another steamy one! Love it!
Julie Barrett
new to me author, love her books
Nancy Anderson
Love this book !!
  • The Mackenzie Family (Mackenzie Family, #3-4)
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • And Able
  • Dangerous Deception (The Protectors, #27)
  • Snowfall
  • Deep Blue (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Looking for Lacey
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Code Name: Blondie (SEAL and Code Name, #8)
  • Endgame (Last Chance Trilogy 1)
  • Return To Me
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
I grew up in a household with two brothers, a daddy, and my grandfather. Too many men, in other words. They diluted M'ma's influence by diverting my attention to things like the danger of answering nature's call in the dead of the night. I've got a hint for those of you raised in a less spit-and-scratch world: check before you sit, because chances are that seat is gonna be up. And they don't even...more
More about Susan Andersen...
Playing Dirty (Sisterhood Diaries, #3) Baby, I'm Yours (Baby, #1) Burning Up Cutting Loose (Sisterhood Diaries, #1) Bending the Rules (Sisterhood Diaries, #2)