Start by marking “Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side” as Want to Read:
Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side

Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Our "shadow" is the collection of negative or undesirable traits we keep hidden—the things we don't like about ourselves or are afraid to admit: egotist, non-"PC" proclivities, forbidden sexual desires. But it also includes our positive, untapped potential—qualities we may admire in others but disavow in ourselves. Befriending the shadow makes fear an ally and enables us t ...more
Published May 11th 1999 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Dance

Blake
This is an excellent book if you are seeking to understand yourself better, particularily your dark side, and how you can integrate that into your life and thus find wholeness. I would highly reccommend this book to those spiritual seekers out there who want to embrace the darkness and find their own light. Afterall, it is through the darkness that light is found. If you don't believe me, try reading shadow dance.
Persephone Abbott
What a book! It wanders everywhere, and provides an excellent example of raising our admiration for outstanding literature anywhere, elsewhere.

Take for instance, the topic evil, nowhere is a definition of evil laid out in Mr. Richo’s book; however overlooking this fact, a regrettable omission by the author, we read the following:

“The presence of goodness does not permanently eliminate evil but removes it in the moment. Our work is to acknowledge good in spite of evil, not instead of it. We stay
Bholdsworth7
I've always enjoyed the way the author blends practical wisdom, spirituality, psychology, and specific questions to enable a deeper examination of his topics. In this case, looking at our shadow (the dark and the light) and the influence we give it strikes deep cord. By learning to face our shame and celebrate our positive, the book shows a path to greater awareness and presence with our true self. A great read
Sandy
Our dark side has been called our personal "shadow" by C.C. Jung. It's everything about ourselves we do not know, or refuse to know: egotism, forbidden sexual desires, unpopular proclivities. But it also includes positive, untapped potential, those qualities we admire in others but can't see in ourselves.
The challenge is in accepting ourselves all the way to the bottom: admitting and holding rather than denying and burying our arrogance, our self-centeredness, our will to coerce others, our s
Johan Andersson
En mycket bra bok om skugga (Jungiansk psykologi). De egenskaper och behov vi gömmer för oss själva och sedan retar oss på när vi ser det i andra eller beundrar i andra.
David Richo är psykolog och han använder sina kunskaper och erfarenheter tillsammans med en stor dos buddism och en gnutta andlighet så ger han en genomarbetad bild av alla aspekter inom skuggarbete.
Hela boken är fylld med övningar som verkligen går på djupet.
Så om du "hatar" rasister, vänster/höger-extrema, homo/hetero-sexuella,
Peter
terribly organized. repetitive. missing the more jungian mythological mystical mien of other shadow books like the terrific one by bly.
Madison
Aug 14, 2014 Madison marked it as to-read
Well.
Kathleen
This book tells you what most other books do not: what is the
positive AND negative shadow side of the human being. To be
whole, it's important to recognize/identify that part of our
selves which may have been swept under the rug since childhood.
It is fascinating. At the end of each chapter, Richo has
suggestions of exercises to try or things to notice to become
better acquainted and better accepting of your shadow. Also
he describes how to identify the shadow in others.
Donna
Definitely parts that I liked in this book.

His style is to write a sermon/lecture type section, and then add a practical application to that. I found myself more drawn to the practical "in practice" sections than the lead-ins.

I marked many sections to go back and think about, so I think this book was well worth my time.
Drea
David Richo brilliantly explains our shadow selves, how to identify that hidden aspect and, best of all, to understand those dark, dark selves provide rich insight into what we want to ignore yet what will also free us. Powerful, compassionate, read it.
Anthony
This book brings clarity in being mindful which is understanding and accepting of one's self. Shadow Dance put very complex theories into plain English for the reader. This is a great book to start in the path of greatness and love.
Bridgett
I found this book very helpful in understanding the shadow qualities in myself and other people. I liked the discussion of the positive shadow compared to the negative shadow. There were plenty of examples, too.
deZengo
Thus far, I can see positive possibilities for healing through examining and accepting our self all the way from top to bottom.

Definitely more to come. I look forward to deeper thought on this subject.
Shane
This is another one for a class. Addressing your dark side, Darth Vader, sort of thing. You have to journal and practice. It is allright so far.
Robin
Jun 28, 2007 Robin added it
Recommends it for: Great Book/ good read
well written book on the Shadow. What we can learn from it, use it and the gifts it has to offer.
Faiyal Ahmed
Nice read. Pretty interesting stuff in here, he has an interesting style of writing too.
Lorri Rupp-woodmansee
Loved it! Very insightful and great book for personal growth.
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Michell
Michell marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sea John
Sea John marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Wendy Braga
Wendy Braga marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
K Kriesel
K Kriesel marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Susan Santee-Buenger
Susan Santee-Buenger marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • The Sanity We Are Born With: A Buddhist Approach to Psychology
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Romancing the Shadow: A Guide to Soul Work for a Vital, Authentic Life
  • Creativity
  • On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity
  • The Purpose of Your Life: Finding Your Place In The World Using Synchronicity, Intuition, And Uncommon Sense
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life: Opening Your Heart to Confidence, Intimacy, and Joy
  • Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing
  • Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
David Richo, PhD, is a therapist and author who leads popular workshops on personal and spiritual growth.

He received his BA in psychology from Saint John's Seminary in Brighton, Massachusetts, in 1962, his MA in counseling psychology from Fairfield University in 1969, and his PhD in clinical psychology from Sierra University in 1984. Since 1976, Richo has been a licensed marriage, family, and chi
More about David Richo...
How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them How to Be an Adult: A Handbook for Psychological and Spiritual Integration When the Past Is Present: Healing the Emotional Wounds that Sabotage our Relationships The Power of Coincidence: How Life Shows Us What We Need to Know