Start by marking “Lester Fizz: Bubble Gum Artist” as Want to Read:
Lester Fizz: Bubble Gum Artist

Lester Fizz: Bubble Gum Artist

Everyone in the Fizz family is an artist. Everyone except Lester, whose paintings are pitiful and doodles are drab. Lester doesn’t think he’ll ever be an artist, until the day a mouthful of gum becomes a work of art on Lester’s talented lips. Drawing inspiration from all directions, Lester develops his special talent for artful bubbles and blows the competition away!

Full

Published August 14th 2008 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lester Fizz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lester Fizz

Lori Gravley
An engaging approach to a little art history, bubblegum included.
babyhippoface
Sep 16, 2009 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Everyone in Lester Fizz's family is artistically gifted, except Lester. All he can do is chew bubble-gum. But when he discovers that he can shape his bubble-gum bubbles, he learns that he's an artist, too.

While I thought the bubble-blowing bit was a little too silly, I really liked the way the works of different artists were referenced throughout the book. I showed it to the Art Teacher at our school, to see what she thought about it. She liked it, and said she would read this book to her studen
Heidi-Marie
Looking for books to fit a bubble theme. This made me smile and I enjoyed the many art references. (I was actually rather proud of how many I recognized--either the actual artwork or noticing an artist's style.) Not for the preschool crowd. Fine as a lap-read for that age, but I think I'd lose interest as the book is a tad longer than I usually do and a few things might be over their heads. Could work in a school-age storytime--they may enjoy what the gum does and some art intellectuals may see ...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Nov 18, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Celebrated works of art pop up in the silliest of circumstances in this cleverly illustrated tale of a frustrated young artist in search of his niche.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Jazmyne Henry
This book is about Lester and his artistic family. Everyone in Lester's family is an artist except him. Until he discovers something so great in blowing bubblegum. This book can help students find their own new talents. It is also good to demonstrate writer's craft.
Heidi
Aug 27, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, fiction
Cute, funny story about how everyone's talents are different, you just have to look for your own! This boy's family are all artists and he finds that his talent is blowing bubbles with his bubble gum into amazing things like the Mona Lisa holding a hot dog and french fries!?! :)
Relyn
Nov 27, 2010 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at Barnes and Nobel
Shelves: lawsonland
This was an absolutely, super-duper fun book. It is sure to be a hit with my class. I plan to use it in conjunction with a Lawson Buck party. I'll pass out huge pieces of gum and we'll make our own bubble gum art. It should be a hoot.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Feb 04, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, humor, art, 2012
Lester comes from a talented family of artists. Lester is pretty talented with bubble gum. Does bubble gum art even count? A humorous romp through art history with various characters named after famous artists and references to many art pieces. A fun read.
paula
Really neat. Explains the urge of art ("What do you see?" "What don't you see?" "What do you want to see?") and provides dozens and dozens of famous (and diverse) examples, all within a cute story.
Allie
Jun 11, 2016 Allie rated it really liked it
Recommend to art teacher!
Sonnie Schlossmacher
Feb 11, 2015 Sonnie Schlossmacher rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!! Hall different famous works of art. Rich in vocabulary!
Anna Lewis
Aug 16, 2008 Anna Lewis rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for teaching art appreciation to children ages Kindergarten through Fifth Grade. Will definitely recommend it to all my volunteers to include in their art appreciation presentations.
Sam Bloom
Sep 03, 2008 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very entertaining book about a kid who is at first intimidated by his family of artists, but then discovers his own true talent: bubble-gum art.
Carolanne
Jul 25, 2016 Carolanne rated it really liked it
As someone who received a very consistent "C" in Art throughout her school career, I appreciate Ruth Spiro's message of hope for us all!
Kathy
Sep 09, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Intersting for browsing but a little hard to use for school visits.
Julie
Dec 01, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Weird, random, I like it.
Melanie
May 10, 2016 Melanie rated it liked it
Can't wait to put this in our art teacher's hands! She reads aloud to every class and will probably really enjoy the nods to all the great artists!
Corri Johnson
Jul 10, 2009 Corri Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-my-kids
It was a fun book that I would use to teach kids that everyone has a talent, we just may not know what our talent is.
Lynn
Dec 26, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute and inspirational for young artists.
Franki Sibberson
Jan 07, 2011 Franki Sibberson rated it really liked it
art
Sharie
with effort, can study famous art pieces throughout book
Charity Pyles
Charity Pyles rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2008
Ruth Spiro
Nov 17, 2014 Ruth Spiro rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2010