Start by marking “Bourbon Island 1730” as Want to Read:
Bourbon Island 1730

Bourbon Island 1730

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  34 reviews
It is 1730 when Raphael Pommeroy arrives in the West Indies with his ornithology professor. They’re supposed to be in search of the almost-extinct dodo . . . but Raphael is quickly entranced with the piratical inhabitants of the island, becoming obsessed with their vision of a world where all people are free and equal, regardless of their skin color. Drama unfolds on Bourb ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by First Second (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bourbon Island 1730, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bourbon Island 1730

Boxers by Gene Luen YangSaints by Gene Luen YangRobot Dreams by Sara VaronAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolAmerican Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
Books published by First Second
8th out of 103 books — 4 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonEast of Eden by John SteinbeckSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Trees on Covers
188th out of 525 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

David Katzman
Pirates, colonies, and slavery. Arrrgh, it’s really not all that funny. Based on the history of La Réunion island, Bourbon Island 1730 is a graphic novel co-written and illustrated by the great French novelist Lewis Trondheim. Originally uninhabited, Reunion Island (at times called Bourbon Island) was settled by the French in 1640 and is still part of France.

The theme is Freedom—the pursuit of it and the failure to find it. Pirates became civilized through amnesty, and yet the civilized looked j
Emily
This book gained its second star in the last 50 pages. My main issue is with the artwork, and I nearly didn't finish because of it. Because there is no variation of line width, and not nearly enough usage of solid black, my eyes didn't know where to go in each panel and the characters didn't stick out. This technique works if the style is minimal, but here there is a lushness of detail that makes the characters, the action, and the scenery difficult to parse. At the end of the novel, however, ev ...more
Jason
A nice wee part of french colonial history i was not familiar with, put into humorous graphic novel form, very inciteful and enjoyable.
Akeiisa
A rather flat story about the end of the reign of pirates; colonists struggling with the terrain, each other, and their slaves; and the notion of/quest for freedom. I found the depiction of slaves in this graphic style somewhat simplistic and mildly offensive. I actually found the notes at the end of the book pulling from various source materials more interesting than the story.
Andrés Santiago
Really enjoyed this. It is a great portrait of the end of an era and the beginning of colonialism. I was surprised at how well documented it was. The drawing is minimalist but very effective in telling the story. It left me wanting more, so I will probably re-read it soon.
Richard
You really can't go wrong with a Trondheim book.
Emmanuel

Ca fait longtemps que j'attends une sortie en librairie d'un nouvel opus de "Donjon", une des grosses séries BD de Johan Sfar & Lewis Trondheim. Pensez, le dernier album est sortie en 2008. Il a bien eu des bruits qui courts sur deux albums en forme de conclusion pour 2011, mais 2012 est arrivé et même les auteurs peinnent à donner une date définitive... Tous ça pour dire que j'étais en manque des dessins de Lewis Trondheim et des aventures qu'il fait vivre à ses personnages...

Par le plus gr
Mika Lietzén
Hankin tämän koska en ollut lukenut Trondheimilta vuosikausiin mitään ja ajattelin että tämä saattaisi olla hauska, niinku, Secret of the Monkey Island -hauska. Olin väärässä. Tämä historiallinen antiseikkailu on kuollut kuin dodo. Tarinassa ei ole rytmiä eikä rakennetta. Se ei tiedä onko se draamaa vai huumoria. Tapahtumat, sikäli kun niitä on, pyörivät ympyrää. Hahmot vaihtuvat jatkuvasti ja niitä ei joko erota toisistaan tai niissä ei ole mitään tolkkua. Tekijöiden mielenkiinto historiallista ...more
Eli
Looks almost like a straightforward story about pirates and slavery, but there's a lot going on here. It's a thoughtful historical drama, a comedy of manners and a political satire, based on ugly events. I would totally recommend it for young adults, but older people will appreciate it on other levels too.

Most of the plots and characters are about escape: the fugitive slaves who just want to live, the naive ornithologist who wants to be a pirate, the pirates who are trying to be respectable citi
Matt
Like Spiegelman in MAUS, Appollo and Trondheim use the separative effect of anthropomorphized animals to tell a socially-explorative period piece in an eye-catching way. Unlike MAUS, this piece doesn't use different species to signify class (unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible). In this case, Appollo and Trondheim use talking animals as a way into examining colonialism in the 18th century as the need for safe trading brought law to previously isolated islands. It's an inter ...more
To be honest, book, I forgot I read you.

It's not that you were bad, and you weren't really boring.....

You were simply unmemorable. I read you, and then I forgot you.

Sorry. But sort of not.
Jim
I really enjoyed Lewis Trondheim's autobiographical comics, so I thought I'd give this one a try. He uses the same illustrative style that he used with his autobiographical work. This story was written by a famous French writer, who works with cartoonists, named Appollo. There were many historical references to this story about retired pirates on Bourbon island in 1730, which I found interesting. However, I don't know if something was lost in the translation or not, but the story was a bit flat. ...more
Damon
Sort of historical fiction about pirates. And dodos. And the lack there of. I love Lewis Trondheim's artwork, how it's funny without seeming to try to be at all, and how that can add a great element to a story that's not really meant to be all that funny.

The only thing I found myself wishing was that this was in color - it's great in black and white, but color might have added to the lush setting and exotic elements of the story.
Tracey
Oct 30, 2013 Tracey marked it as to-read
Shelves: stalled-2013
birthday gift from M&D 2013 - stalled as of early Oct, 2013

Offbeat graphic novel about Caribbean piracy and rebelling slaves - with a cast of animals as main characters. Unlike The Complete Maus, I haven't determined if the species has any connection to the type of person represented.
Ethan
"We were twenty years old, lad, and we invented freedom. The English, French, and Spanish navies, the fleets of the Mughal Emperor and the king of Portugal, they all feared us. Not because we attacked them and looted their ships, although we did that, but because we were free! Black and white, of all nationalities, our mere existence told the entire world that man could be free."
Joe
Great book about the historical Bourbon Island, where retiring pirates were granted amnesty and a chance to live the quiet life. There really isn't a story here per se. It's a collection of vignettes and a lot of local color, all done with animals instead of people. The ink drawing is sloppy and ugly, but this was still a lot of fun, and maybe even educational ...
Lindsay
I really, really wanted to like this. But it was boring. I found Trondheim's drawings to be unimaginative, just too straightforward to interest me - nothing special, nothing interesting happening anywhere on the page. And the story itself? Meh. The topic was unique, but I wasn't drawn in and captivated by it.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Lo peor que le he leído a Trondheim. El dibujo parece hecho sin demasiado interés, la falta de color y volúmenes hace que se confundan las figuras con los fondos, y el guión de Apollo es para echarle de comer aparte, sin un ápice de humor... algo que me parece fundamental en la obra de Trondheim.
Luk
Beautiful melancholic tale about the end of the not-so-glorious era of pirates. Series of vignettes shows the decline of the world of high adventure on vast seas and the beginning of the prosaic sad life of coffee plantators, slave owners and no-life drunkards.
Francisca
A good, historically authentic pirate story with Trondheim's character-specific animal symbolism--what could be a better treasure? I am betting that the depictions of some groups here runs into trouble in the US and hope taht discussion, rather than censure, ensues.
Valerie
Bien écrit et bien renseignée cette histoire avec un petit h rejoint l'Histoire avec un grand H de la piraterie et de l'île de la réunion. C'est vraiment un plaisir à lire c'est parfait pour les vacances en bord de mer.
rachel  misfiticus
I bought this right after I read David's review. Although I was not thrilled by the artwork, I was quickly intrigued by the story.
Hirondelle
Minor Trondheim, diluted Trondheim, but still pretty charming on its way. And probably a must for Pirate fans.

Philip
The real story sounds more interesting than this book was - though it was fine. Had potential. Could have been better.
Keith
an interesting story of piracy, slavery, rebellion and island life. There are some naturalists too.
Komuniststar
Ozbiljna i okrutna gusarska priča. Uvjerljivi likovi i događaji. Stripu nedostaje samo malo boj.
Dwain Smith
Pirates + 18th century racial politics + Colonialism + Ornithology = and interesting mix of a book.
scarlettraces
this was just fabulous - a perfect marriage of story and graphic style.
Philip Athans
The best graphic novels contain at least a few pages with no words at all.
Tracey
A charming graphic novel about colonialism, pirates and slavery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Coeur de canard (Donjon Zénith,#1)
  • Ordinary Victories
  • Notes for a War Story
  • The Arctic Marauder
  • The Hunting Party
  • Corto Maltese:  Tango
  • The Black Order Brigade
  • The Book of Human Insects
  • Le Secret du janissaire (De Cape et de Crocs, #1)
  • King of the Flies: Hallorave
  • Lady Vivian Hastings (Long John Silver, #1)
  • Crogan's Vengeance
  • A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting
  • Peter Pan: Opikanoba (Peter Pan, #2)
  • Gus & His Gang
The phenomenal Lewis Trondheim is never where you next expect him. As an artist and writer, Trondheim has earned an international following as one of the most inventive, versatile, and prolific graphic authors. From autobiography to adventure, from bestselling fantasy and children's books to visual essays, Trondheim's unique, seminal imagination consistently dazzles. His work has won numerous awar ...more
More about Lewis Trondheim...
A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties Mister O Little Nothings 1: The Curse of the Umbrella Kaput & Zosky La Mouche