The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)

The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries #8)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,474 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Don't miss A to Z Mysteries--alphabetic adventures that are full of thrills, chills, and cases to crack!
H is for Haunted...
In the eighth book of the A to Z Mysteries--an early chapter book mystery series featuring strong boy and girl characters--a ghost has checked into the Shangri-la Hotel! It's almost Halloween, and reports of strange sounds and even stranger sights ar...more
Published June 15th 1999 by Random House Children's Books (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted Hotel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted Hotel

Sherry
The Haunted Hotel

The Haunted Hotel is of mystery and suspense, about 3 kids and their friend Mr. Linkletter the owner of Shangri-la, to find out the reasons why the guests are being scared away by some mysterious ghost. I myself have read a good number of books like this one but this is the best one I have ever read on mystery.

Westernport chapter club member
Kathy 11yrs old
Clara Gee
I really liked this book because of the mystery. I am really in to mystery books so this is one of the reasons I liked this book. The room they find is most wonderful.I hope to read the book again.
Snooka L.
This book was great! My sister read it to me and when I saw a pickture in the book I was sooo scared. But that was when I was 7 so now I'm not scared. This book is about 3 kids Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose they find out that a hotel is honted! They get right to the case. Even though this book was short I enjoyed it.
Isabella
Sep 05, 2011 Isabella rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Miss Sixkiller
My favorite character is Ruth Rose because she is a girl and I am a girl. The Haunted Hotel is about a ghost that haunted a hotel so that Mr Linkletter would have to sale his hotel. I think its good because it is a mystry book and I like mysteries. (Dicated by Isabella, typed by Daddy).
Sue
Title: The Haunted Hotel (A-Z Mysteries)
Author: Ron Roy
Genre: Mystery – Children’s

Challenges: To Be Continued…Challenge, 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge, Read and Review Challenge 2010, 2010 Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge, 100 + Reading Challenge, Audio Book Challenge 2010, Pages Read 2010, PB & J Challenge, Young Readers Reading Challenge 2010

Rating: 3/5
No. of Pages: Audio (87)
Published: 1999

Back Cover: A ghostly guest has checked into the Shangri-la Hotel! It's almost Hallo...more
Marlee
My children are 9 and 6. They found this book to be super fun, exciting, and fast paced. I found it quite silly myself, but really enjoyed sharing it with them. Simple for children to follow and clues thrown in to help them solve the mystery along the way.
Ethan
In this book, Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose try to find out who are scary ghosts are in the hotel. At the end, they find out. You should read this book to find out.
Dianna
This book was recommended to me by my son. He loves this series, and I appreciate that it is innocent, as well as interesting to him.
Trisha
This was adorable. My youngest and I had so many guesses. I loved listening to her tell me her theories. We love this series!
MR.CRAZY TIGER#COOL GUY
This book is mysterious and exciting because three kids stay at a hotel and solve a mystery and they try finding a ghost that everyone talks about.
luhvBOOKS
Title: The Haunted Hotel

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #8

Rating: ★★★★

Summary: A ghostly guest has checked into the Shangri-la Hotel! It's almost Halloween and reports of strange sounds and even stranger sights are coming from Green Lawn's only hotel. Hotel guests and neighbors are being scared away, and it's up to Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose to figure out what's going on--before Green Lawn turns into a ghost town!

Review: One of my favorites... classic!

Things I Loved: The H mystery!

Things...more
Madeline Garland
this one really kept me on my toes!
Nikkinooky
i really like this book!:)
Yasuko Takatsuki
2013.2.20 8016words
Kaelyn Olson
Awesome!!!!!
gina
Aug 15, 2011 gina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: struggling readers
I read The Haunted Hotel to screen for my classroom. This is part of the A to Z Mysteries series--I thought kids would like the series, but it has never caught on with my students. I'm not sure why. This book is simply written, a little scary but not too scary, and a good stepping stone for first-time readers of chapter books. In the future, I am going to promote these books to the class so they catch some enthusiasm, and maybe even order a whole set.
Akari Suzuki
Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE
Time: 11/27 30min 11/28 60min 11/29 60min
7-word summary
Children-The Hounted Hotel-Ghost-Research-See-Act-Happy

Discussion Question
Q:Have you ever seen ghosts? And if you see ghosts, what would you do?
A:Never. I don't like any ghosts and I don't like any horror movies so I would escape as soon as possible.

I don't like ghosts but this story is a kind of mystery so I enjoyed reading this book. I would like to read other series.
Dolly
May 17, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are skipping around through the A to Z Mysteries, mainly because of their availability in the library. Each story is complete on its own, so I don't think we're missing much going out of order. This was a decent story, plain old detective work; not too complicated of a mystery. Our girls really like this series.
Jordan Starr
This is a book that I read aloud to students in my current field experience and they loved it. The story is engaging and fun for students to read and try to predict how the mystery will end. I think these books could be used to talk different types of literature, mysteries in particular. This book can also be used to talk about being a good citizen and what it means to help each other.
Sydney
when green lawn's only hotel is having trouble because people hear screaming against the walls and seeing strange sights of ghosts now everybody thinks the hotel is haunted so when dink and josh and ruth rose hear about it they want to solve the mystery so at night they stayed at the hotel and find the ghost and they figured out that the ghost and the screaming were just people.
Cora
A good read for first graders. They really enjoyed it and so did I.
Eric
There is a ghost at the Shangri-la Hotel. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are up to get rid of the ghost. They only have a matter of time until it is to late. If you want to know if they can get rid of the ghost, you should read this book.
Sara
This is about how three business men were trying to get the hotel to sell by getting a couple to act as ghosts and tell them that it was for a movie. They failed, but weren't sent to jail. I recommend this book to those who love mysteries.
Kathy
A to Z Mysteries. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose investigate a spook who is scaring the guests off and about to make Mr. Spivets sell his hotel Shangri-La! A plot oriented series with 3 kids solving the mysteries. Second grade level.
Arica Newcom
The Haunted Hotel is a chapter book that is great to use with young readers. The chapters are short and provide some pictures to keep the readers interest. It is great to use as a read aloud so students can be introduced to chapter books.
Julia
I loved this book i would say it is mt # 2 favorite. i do not want to type what this is abot because i want everbody to read it. I recommend it for people that like mysteries and scary books or scary things. =)
Amy
My niece *and* my nephew both enjoyed this chapter book! Good read--scary without being overly so. The kids in the story are all great characters, and young children can easily relate to them.
Mustang
May 21, 2012 Mustang rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ar
I realy like the book.The book has alot of things in it that makes you keep gussing who is haunting the hotel.Read a book to find out who is haunting the hotel. -ar
Michelle
I read this because I had to analyze some children's mysteries for the writing class I'm taking. It's good for kids that are getting into chapter books.
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Nate the Great and the Stolen Base
  • Horrible Harry and the Christmas Surprise
  • Earthquake in the Early Morning (Magic Tree House, #24)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • The Sleeping Giant of Goll (The Secrets of Droon, #6)
  • The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #1)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1) The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2) The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9) The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3) The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)