Start by marking “The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)

The Stingray Shuffle (Serge A. Storms #5)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,135 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
When serial-killing local Florida historian Serge A. Storms is off his meds, no one is safe -- not Russian hoods, Jamaican mobsters, spoiled frat boys, women's book clubs, drug dealers, bad Vegas-rejected local lounge acts -- especially when $5 million in cash in a bugged suitcase is still racing up and down the Eastern Seaboard. But in the oddball circus known as the Suns ...more
Published January 30th 2004 by HarperTorch (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Stingray Shuffle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stingray Shuffle

A Dirty Job by Christopher MooreGood Omens by Terry PratchettFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonLamb by Christopher MooreChoke by Chuck Palahniuk
Best Dark Humor
242nd out of 537 books — 1,234 voters

More lists with this book...

Nik
Mar 05, 2009 Nik rated it really liked it
read this one for the second time and it didn't seem to lose it's luster.

i love the line where serge says grace at dinner "lord please protect me from your followers. amen"

still very funny the second time around.
Snotchocheez
Feb 25, 2009 Snotchocheez rated it really liked it
This was another turbo-charged funhouse of a novel by Tim Dorsey. He started out being incredibly derivative of Carl Hiaasen's work, but he's found a voice of his own, and it's at times laugh-out-loud hysterical. Once again, he uses Serge Storms, Florida's favorite serial killer and historian, as his principal protagonist. This time, Dorsey expands his reach a bit from Florida and has a go at NYC. "The Stingray Shuffle" is a book within this book, which had been written a decade prior but inexpl ...more
Linda
Jul 26, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
There are fifteen books in Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms series - The Stingray Shuffle is the fifth book published, but the end of this book seems to precede the third book in the series, Orange Crush. This really doesn't lessen the entertainment factor, but a Virgo (like me) will finish the series, then go back to read them again in Serge's chronology. Clever ploy Mr. Dorsey!

The book itself is hilarious (yes, I'm running out of descriptives), well written and with some truly interesting twists: a p
Angie
Feb 22, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
The self-referencing is what makes this book so hilarious! Couldn't get enough of the stupid mobsters and the urinal guy! Love it! More Serge please!
Mr.B
Feb 25, 2011 Mr.B rated it really liked it
I like this guy's writing. It's campy, quirky. Mystery writing that is basically surrealistic humor. Sort of a whodunit Hitchhiker's Guide.
Paul Pessolano
Jan 10, 2016 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
“The Stingray Shuffle” by Tim Dorsey, published by William Morrow.

Category – Crime/Comedy Publication Date – 2003

This is Dorsey’s fifth book in the Serge A. Storms series. As I have said before they do not have to be read in sequence but it would be a good idea for continuity. This is especially true for “The Stingray Shuffle” as it ties together the characters and plot of the first four books. Readers will find out what happened and who winds up with the missing 5 million dollars.

Serge, a seria
Jackie
Nov 17, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
I don't keep a lot of books anymore. I read them and pass them along. But this one is staying in the collection for a re-read in future because it was hysterical! I can't even count how many times I laughed out loud at the descriptions of south Florida! It was also a wealth of intriguing historical detail about Florida's train system; I actually learned things. Really a cool and unusual protagonist, too...if you can call Serge that...he does have a certain sense of poetic justice, even if he is ...more
Diana
Jun 15, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Tim Dorsey's books would make great cult movies. Of the three I've read thus far, this one I think is the funniest -- think "Rocky Horror Show" on steroids. Serge Storms the psychotic serial killer with a treasure trove knowledge of Florida trivia (informative, too) devises ingenious ways to kill his often deserving victims. Pure mindless fun.
Mike French
Sep 24, 2015 Mike French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another tremendous in the Serve Storms series! This book is enjoyable and entertaining from start to finish! If you like Carl Hiaasen and Paul Levine,you will Tim Dorsey!
Peter
Jan 02, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
A very funny book. You can kind of see that Dorsey was writing this almost as a movie, you can see where it would have made a very funny flick! A quick read, and hilarious!
Joyce
Jan 21, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
This series is consistently screwball and unpredictable. Summary: When serial-killing local Florida historian Serge A. Storms is off his meds, no one is safe -- not Russian hoods, Jamaican mobsters, spoiled frat boys, women's book clubs, drug dealers, bad Vegas-rejected local lounge acts -- especially when $5 million in cash in a bugged suitcase is still racing up and down the Eastern Seaboard. But in the oddball circus known as the Sunshine State, little things like astronomical body counts ten ...more
Jeanne
Jul 23, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
This story was funny beyond belief! There were many sub-stories going on, but they all came together in the end for a very good result. The $5 million returns, but you have to read or listen to learn if it finally finds a home or if we will be on the lookout for the elusive insurance settlement in the next Serge A. Storms installment. Funny lines, interesting characters, and, of course, Serge all wrap up in a 7 out of 10 rating for me on this one!
Jjudyfl
Dec 31, 2012 Jjudyfl rated it really liked it
"I hate it when I wake up driving." Yes, it's THAT KIND of book.
Serge stars again as a serial killer in another Tim Dorsey title.
In one scene he slowly murders his victims in a lengthy, prolonged torture.
After last week's real-life shooting spree of young children at a Connecticut school, I found myself wincing & hesitating to laugh at Serge this time. When does insanity start and stop being funny?
A well-plotted book, THE STINGRAY SHUFFLE provides characters whose blunders and missteps are a
Tim
May 08, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
This reads like a very early version of Serge Storms. While there are some good Serge parts, overall not as engaging as later versions. Also Coleman is a big MIA, with substitute Lenny filling in not as admirably. 6 of 10 stars
Brian
Feb 01, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Having read six of Dorsey's novels, I can safely say this is the best written one that I have read to date. Dorsey has always been a good creator of plots and an okay writer, but in this text the two skills come closer together than they have in his previous efforts. Dorsey uses a very clever tool of weaving a parallel text/story with the name "The Stingray Shuffle" into the plot. It is a tricky device to pull off, but Dorsey does it, and it works in this piece.
"The Stingray Shuffle" is a little
Amy
Apr 06, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
This book is like a Carl Hiaasen novel gone bad because the author has taken too many drugs.

There are too many weird characters that you just can't follow -- at least not until mid-way through the book. Here are a few (spelling approximate):
- Ralph Crunkleton, an ex-writer who lives in a house on stilts on an island, fishes for crab, and entertains anyone who mistakes his home for a bar. One of his very old books, the Stingray Shuffle, rises to the best-seller list because cocaine dealers are u
William
Dec 21, 2014 William rated it it was amazing
I actually laughed out loud reading this book more times than I can remember. The fast paced silliness of this mystery seemed to be all over the place but was so much fun you did not care. Then, at the very end, he brought everything together and wrapped it all up. What a fun read.
Stuart
Sep 02, 2009 Stuart rated it liked it
Reading Dorsey is like eating candy. At first it's the most delicious thing you've ever had in your life and you can't get enough. But after a while it just gives you a headache, and then you don't want to finish it, and then you never want to see it again.
Kyle Morris
Feb 03, 2008 Kyle Morris rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book with a great twisting of plot. If you like comedic relief, read this!!!
Carmen Serra
Dec 08, 2013 Carmen Serra rated it really liked it
It was a cute comedy of errors.
Karissa
Dec 21, 2014 Karissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: home-2014
So, this was my first Tim Dorsey, and it wasn't bad. It was about average. I would give it a 2.5, really.
Many people that have reviewed this book comment about how funny it is. There were several humorous moments, a couple probably even got a chuckle out of me. But by the time I got towards the end, I was sort of ready for it to be over.
I think part of my problem is that it was my bathroom read, and it took two months for me to finally get to the end, so a good portion had been forgotten.

There
Sandie
Apr 19, 2011 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serge A. Storms defies explanation. Manic, hyper, intense, wiry, unhinged, Serge is the epitome of Florida historians. He knows everything -- every minor detail -- concerning Florida, and his latest obsession is trains. With his new friend Lenny, Serge is driving a pink Cadillac Eldorado following the global tracking device in a briefcase containing lots of cash, $5 million to be exact, and the briefcase is heading across the state.

In the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Rolando-berto, a briefca
Ensiform
Mar 26, 2013 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Newly obsessed train buff and maniacal killer Serge A. Storms and his druggie pal, Lenny, chase a briefcase containing five million dollars (a plot strand leftover from Florida Roadkill). Others trailing it include Russian hoodlums posing as Latinos, in the employ of the incompetent head of the world's only bankrupt drug cartel, and Jethro and Paul, a Hemingway look-alike and a passive-aggressive private eye, respectively. Serge, a book club of jilted ladies, and the mobsters all end up on the N ...more
Alpha
Oct 14, 2011 Alpha rated it really liked it
"This is the fifth novel by Tim Dorsey and is also known as his anniversary novel for a lot of the characters from the previous novels are in this one for one huge reunion on a train known as ""The Stingray Shuffle"". This novel is also the second novel truly named after aspects, traditon, or places in Florida. The stingray shuffle was a dance invented to prevent people from stepping on a stingray and getting barbed in the foot or heel or wherever. The other novel to be named so like this is ""O ...more
Jaime Nelson
Apr 19, 2010 Jaime Nelson rated it it was amazing
In a nutshell...

This is my first time reading any of Dorsey's books, even though it's not the beginning of the series. And I have to say that it really is hilarious. I have my nit-picky things about style and structure, but this is a teriffic book. It's an extremely fast read. You will also learn irrelevant history.

What's it about?

Serge A. Storms is in his mid thirties. He lives in Florida. He’s passionate about local history. And he’s a serial killer.

The story picks up when Serge and his doped
Scott Foshee
Apr 15, 2013 Scott Foshee rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, mystery
"The Stingray Shuffle" is book 5 in Tim Dorsey's vastly entertaining Serge A. Storms comedy/mystery series. It actually culminates a three book story arc (started in "Florida Roadkill" and continued with "Hammerhead Ranch Motel") concerning Serge's missing suitcase containing $5 million. Both "Triggerfish Twist" and "Orange Crush" had Serge as a character as well, but they stood more on their own.

Ralph Krunkleton is a former novelist, largely forgotten and retired to his stilt house in the keys.
Anthony
Apr 19, 2014 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was some story. Maybe I should say story within a story, but that isn't exactly right. I could tell you who ends up with the 5 million dollars but I don't want to spoil it for you. Serge is back and violence is all around him, but most of the time he is just defending himself. Quite a large cast in this story makes it confusing at times but makes it interesting. Many places in the book mention the book "the Stingray Shuffle" and what happens in it. Quite a good twist in it.
Traummachine
Nov 02, 2012 Traummachine rated it liked it
At one point, Tim Dorsey was one of my favorite authors ever. The man is absolutely hysterical, which allows him to make some social commentary that would otherwise be pretty heavy-handed -- and the whole thing still just works. His stories have a Tarantino feel of interweaving storylines with occasional splashes of uber-gore. I really just can't describe his books any better than to refer you to the cover blurbs, especially for Florida Road Kill.

Now, the book I just read was Stingray Shuffle, h
Hank Quense
Dec 15, 2009 Hank Quense rated it really liked it
Like all Tim Dorsey novels, the main character is Serge Storms, a serial killer who roams around Florida. In Serge's defense, he only kills people who deserve to die (according to Serge). Serge's travels with his doped-up sidekick Lenny get tedious but the main attraction in a Tim Dorsey novel is the subplots and the minor characters. They are the heart and soul of his books and this one is no different. These characters include: the only drug lord in history who can't make money selling cocaine ...more
Ellen Johnson
Apr 28, 2014 Ellen Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I didn't know what to expect of this, but it was fun to read. Reminded me a bit of Kurt Vonnegut, the way reality and fantasy or futuristic elements were combined and the narrative style. I didn't like the whole book within a book conceit, but having lived in South Florida, I loved the descriptions of the places there.
  • Florida Straits (Key West, #1)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Native Tongue (Skink, #2)
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge A. Storms (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)

“Serge bowed his own head and closed his eyes "God, please protect us from your followers. Amen” 10 likes
“What fresh hell is this?” 1 likes