Gerard Manley Hopkins: The Major Works

Gerard Manley Hopkins: The Major Works

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This authoritative edition brings together all of Hopkins's poetry and a generous selection of his prose writings to explore the essence of his work and thinking.
Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-89) was one of the most innovative of nineteenth-century poets. During his tragically short life he strove to reconcile his religious and artistic vocations, and this edition demonstr...more
Published October 24th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Gerard Manley Hopkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerard Manley Hopkins

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildePride And Prejudice by Jane Austen
Oxford World's Classics
197th out of 197 books — 35 voters
Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëJude the Obscure by Thomas HardyFar from the Madding Crowd by Thomas HardyThe Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas HardyThe Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith
Oxford English Reading List
44th out of 66 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Sep 06, 2011 Emily is currently reading it
Way back when, in the days before Evening All Afternoon, I wrote about being so struck by the unexpected meter and richly textured language of Gerard Manley Hopkins's poem "Pied Beauty" while, of all things, taking a standardized test, that I wrote down the first line of the poem on a piece of scrap paper and shoved it into my pocket. My discovery of Hopkins probably still takes my personal prize for most intense aesthetic experience in a testing environment; never mind that I got the answer wro...more
K.
A colleague of Hopkins once claimed that after reading The Wreck of the Deutschland, he got a very bad headache. I cannot disagree. Although I think its just that Hopkins might actually be too brilliant for the average mind. His works are weighted with metaphors, references, imagery and unorthodox use of language. One can research the crap out of a poem and still be missing a piece. It's quite mind-blowing. That's what the five stars is for. Not because I particularly enjoyed his poetry (I more...more
wychwood
I... think I actually like GMH less than when I started. His best is amazing, but this is a nearly-complete collection, including all the poems, and a lot of them aren't all that great. Or at least they are too frilly and Victorian for me. I don't think it benefited in being read in parallel with Larkin, who is a seriously miserable jerk, but who writes amazingly clear and lucid poetry - his use of language, wow.

I still think God's Grandeur is amazing, but there aren't enough other poems that re...more
Rich Reynolds
Hopkins is a wonderful writer. His views of inscape and instress are intriguing. Moreover, the sprung rhythm that he employs in his poetry is superb. If you are interested in matters pertaining to intertextuality, take a look at Hopkins’s poetry in relationship to William Wordsworth’s concept dealing with “spots of time.” Aside from Wordsworth, Hopkins’s early work reflects a certain Keatsian sensuousness that is worth looking at. Have fun reading his works!!!!!
Christian Engler
The poet-priest Gerard Manly Hopkins was imbued with the gift of natural poetic expression, and the tragedy of his life was that he saw it as something other than the God-given gift that it truly was. But due to almost fanatic scrupulousness, he relegated his work to the camp of literary narcissism, that-if read by a public at large-it would in no way, shape or form, enhance or open their perception to the engulfing gloriousness of faith and God and the Church. Hopkins, who struggled to curtail...more
cheeseblab
As struck me w/ Dickenson when I read her complete poems a couple of years ago, I have to concede that what is widely anthologized really is about all I'm interested in reading. Much of this was a slog--oh, but when he flew, he was a windhover, wasn't he?
Thomas
This would not be a bad contribution to a "desert island" library. Hopkins rewards reading and re-reading - I did not have patience for him when I was younger, but have grown to love his work. This edition includes prose selections from his letters and journals that provide a fuller picture of Hopkins the man.
Mark
Oct 02, 2008 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you
Recommended to Mark by: Jonathan
Quickly becoming my favorite poet. A very challenging writer, but well worth the work. His poems lend themselves to "team reading" - so reading with someone with whom you can discuss it would probably bring more pleasure. But I think other Hopkins readers are likely hard to find!
Christian
Although I'm tempted to 5-star this book, I read it at breakneck speed and didn't give it the time it deserved. I can't really say that I am an avid fan of GMH, but I haven't had a chance to make up a real opinion about him, free from outside opinion.
Miss Mandatory
I suspect it is in my nature to be Victorian.
And perhaps my relationship to Nature is Victorian, and by that I don't mean repressed for though Hopkins struggled with his own life the best of his poems are freedoms, in form and imagination.
Michelle
I read selections from this book for a paper I wrote for a literary theory class. Wow! The more I read GM Hopkins (slowly, meditatively), the more I am in awe of life.
Jeremy Land
An excellent example of Victorian poetry; however, I don't recommend for people new to poetry. Hopkins's language is sometimes difficult for even advanced readers.
Maureen
Another poet that eluded me in my Modern Poetry class, but came to be a good friend later on. If you like poetry, chances are you'll like this.
Apr 09, 2010 Laura added it
Shelves: schoolbooks
I really only read a selection of these poems. I wasn't that impressed - I liked some of them quite a lot, but overall they're not to my taste.
Yz
Jun 03, 2008 Yz added it
Did not enjoy it when it was assigned for class. Maybe another try?
Meg
sprung rhythm beautiful and readable; beautiful images
Rayn Roberts
Excellent... Hopkins has been a major influence.
Jenny
Sep 15, 2013 Jenny marked it as to-read
10 books every Christian should read
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Renata Janney
Renata Janney marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Naina Bhardwaj
Naina Bhardwaj marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Frankie
Frankie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Domagoj Čavrak
Domagoj Čavrak marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Emily Sammon
Emily Sammon marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • Collected Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • Spring and All
  • Collected Works
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • Nohow On: Company / Ill Seen Ill Said / Worstward Ho
  • Uncollected Poems
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
  • New and Collected Poems: 1931-2001
  • Selected Poems
  • Making Certain It Goes On: The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo
  • Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916)
  • Behind My Eyes [With CD]
  • Hymns to the Night (English and German Edition)
195780
Gerard Manley Hopkins was an English poet, Roman Catholic convert, and Jesuit priest, whose 20th-century fame established him posthumously among the leading Victorian poets. His experimental explorations in prosody (especially sprung rhythm) and his use of imagery established him as a daring innovator in a period of largely traditional verse.
More about Gerard Manley Hopkins...
Poems and Prose The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) God's Grandeur and Other Poems Mortal Beauty, God's Grace: Major Poems and Spiritual Writings of Gerard Manley Hopkins

“And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.”
19 likes