Start by marking “Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)” as Want to Read:
Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)

Under the Wire (The Bodyguards #5)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  2,210 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Because of Her, He Lost Everything.

Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published December 28th 2006 by St. Martin's (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Wire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Wire

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
103rd out of 1,289 books — 1,723 voters
Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareThe Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
I Love A Man In Uniform
90th out of 1,020 books — 1,016 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Well, I've picked up this book at least ten times. Read the first chapter over and over again. Just couldn't get into it for some reason Photobucket

Let me tell you why...

The book starts with Manny (don't like his name, point one), it's found out that he works for the resistance, he's beaten and left for dead.
BUT, before they almost kill him, they are generous enough to admit to him that his girlfriend was the one who betrayed him. He is crushed. The woman he loved betrayed his trust. He remembers the firs
Buggy
"He'd loved her. Hated her. Craved her. But he'd never forgotten her."

Manny Ortega lost everything because of one woman. She really did a number on him too, taking his heart, and then betraying him to his enemies. Forcing him to become exile in his own country and eventually leave behind everything he knows and loves in Nicaragua and start again in America. 17 years later his heart and demeanor have hardened, years spent in the Special Forces and then as a police detective have taken care of th
Glamdring

With this one we are back with a “black ops” kind of plot.

We met Manny in book 3 and I was happy to read his story. Lily is several years older than him but I really liked how Cindy Gerard wrote their relationship. I also liked how she addressed the trust issue and the way she developed Manny and Adam relationship.

Here again, Dallas was outstanding <3 Can’t wait for his book!!!
Jacqueline
This is one of the few books where the couple is a pair of reuniting lovers that I actually like. I think one of the strengths of the story is that the beginning of their story is told at the first of the book then the action moves to 17 years later so there are no annoying flashbacks. Also the meeting between these two when they were young was very realistic, poignant and moving.

The story where they are reunited and searching for their kidnapped son is good and moves quickly. There is quite a
Dee
What a great book - Ms Gerard has done it again and ticked all the boxes for me. The action was great and the sex/love scenes have definately been ramped up from previous books in the series.

I have biddy complaint about the book and that is the young Manny. The scene has been set and we find that he is an alpha male and like all H's he is a god in the bedroom and the earth moves for them both and then we find out that Manny is only 18! Then we find out that Lily is 28 - now I haven't a problem w
Jane Stewart
Enjoyable, well done, military guys romantic suspense.

STORY BRIEF:
Seventeen years ago, Lily was in Nicaragua working as a nurse and had a passionate one-week affair with Manny. They fell in love. Manny was spying for the Contras by pretending to be a Sandinista soldier. He was then kidnapped by the Sandinistas. They told him that Lily informed on him. He escaped and has hated Lily ever since. After Manny was kidnapped, Lily tried to find him and was told that he died in battle. She left Nicaragu
jenjn79
I think this series just keeps getting better and better. I liked the first two books, but these last few have been great. Gerard has managed to make me like plot hooks that I generally am not a fan of. Kudos to her.

Series note:
Probably best to read this series in order. You may be able to read this one as a standable, but I'm not sure.

Summary:
Seventeen years ago in Nicaragua, Manny Ortega and Lily Campora had a blazing affair that turned ugly when Manny believed Lily betrayed him and left him f
~E~ Riverina Romantics
4.5 Stars

Another fan-farking-tastic book from Cindy Gerard. I love this woman, she truly is an impressive author.

Under the Wire was the dangerous and adventure packed story of Manny and Lily....and I don't really think I need to say it again but for those people out there who haven't read Cindy Gerard - it was AWESOME.

Manny was the masculine as all hell hero who spoke with the sexiest accent and knew how to make a woman feel desired, as well as loved. And Lily was the strong, broad shouldered h
Norma
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the story, the flow and, as always the Garretts. Ms. Gerard has a way of sucking you into the story and into the EDEN, and makes you feel happy to be a part of it. I'll be sure to continue onto the next book and then the Black Ops series.

I didn't, however, particularly like Manny. Maybe I was comparing him to the Garrett men, but I just didn't love him. I found him to be a little childish. He hates Lily but can't help but want to have sex with her. And he refers to her body
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Contra fighter Manny Ortega is captured, beaten and led to believe he's been betrayed by the love of his life Lily Campora. But he escapes from the Sandinistas and flees to America. Though seventeen years have passed the driving force in Manny's life as he prepares to leave Boston PD and join E.D.E.N. is still his hatred for Lily. For Manny the betrayal is just as fresh as it was during his escape. Even when Lily's nursing assignment with Doctors without Borders sees her back to the states she d ...more
Mei
It was nice to have a mature woman as lead! I really appreciated!
Kathy Davie
Fifth in The Bodyguards romantic suspense series. The couple focus is on Manny Ortega and Lily Campora.

My Take
Whoa, the start was intense with betrayals, and one thought kept crossing my mind...why is Manny so quick to believe that Lily betrayed him? It made sense with the first chapter, but then we meet her in the second chapter and...no. It just doesn't work for me. Although...Manny's seduction is amazing. What a sweetheart...sigh… All those chapters of their being together just puts the lie t
Kayla
Major page turner! This was a very intense/fast paced book. I frequently found myself tensing up and clenching my jaw (I actually gave myself a headache) because of the intensity of the plot.

Manny Ortega has been a soldier since he was sixteen. At the age of eighteen he met the love of his life. But tragedy strikes and for seventeen years he lives a solitary life.

Lily Campora meets Manny and falls in love with him, even if she doesn't admit it. But after a week together he disappears and Lily l
Carrie
3.5*-4* Enjoyable story, even though it was sad in the beginning. I had a little problem accepting the 17 yr separation, and was perhaps a little surprised by the age difference (older woman/younger man). But once I decided these things just were, I got into the story. I liked both characters, and felt the author did a good portraying both the H and h at both times (when they first meet and 17 years later), especially given Manny's youth and the age difference. The suspense plot was good, and ke ...more
Mareli
I read it yesterday night and this morning early. I had trouble to put it down. The story is really good and I love how both hero and heroine came to terms with themselves. Both of them suffered by the hands of someone who they thought as a traitor.

The story is simple, after 17 years of separation Lily goes to a man she thought was dead. And Manny meets again a woman who he thinks sold him. And he discovered he had a son. And now this son is disappeared...

Recommended!

And now the very last one!
TJ
It is totally a personal thing but I have a real problem reading romances where one mistakenly feels the other has betrayed them and spends the book refusing to listen to the truth and making the other one pay. That being said... NO ONE does action packed, edge of your seat, bite your nails and root for the good guy romantic/suspense better than Gerard! Oh, and I also LOVE the fact that the heroine in this books is 10 years older than the hero. What a fun twist!
LaFleurBleue
I liked that the heroin was rather old, 28 in the prologue and then 45 in the present time; it's quite unusual and was very nicely put. The hero was very romantic, the perfect latin lover in the prologue, before turning into someone highly jaded and distrustful.
The investigation and rescue in Sri Lanka was quite fun and well-paced.
Another good one.
This book is soo hot. I loved the past between Manny and Lily. But he also irritated me because he thought that she betrayed him. If you pick up this book, DO NOT put it down or you will regret it!!!!
Wendy
Dec 15, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance and adventure inthusiests
Hot,Hot,Hot! You will love Manny. He is every womans dream of a strong handsome man. The story is captivating, and thier romance will keep you on the edge of your seat.
ElaineY
I was rather leery of the age gap (IIRC, Manny is 10 years older than Lily) but this CG turned out to be my favorite.
Michelle
Has spoilers!

I just didn't connect with this book. The suspense was great but the relationship between Manny and Lily just wasn't working for me. They meet at a party in Nicaragua 17 years ago, spend a week together and fall in love. Never mind the fact that she is 29 and he is 18. Then Manny gets made as a Contra and the Sandanistas try to kill him. Needless to say, Manny doesn't die. Lily is told that he did. Lily goes back to the US and finds out she is pregnant. Manny escapes to the US and g
Valerie
I wasn't sure about reading this book because the MC was not a Garrett. Sure I read Wilson's book (non-Garrett) but I liked Wilson when I met him and Manny just didn't seem an interesting character for me when I met him in Ethan's book (To the Brink). But because this is a series and I have a thing for reading books in order, I decided to give it a try.

'Under the Wire' is a story divided in two parts:

In the first one we get to meet Manny when he's still living in Nicaragua and is part of the C
Anita Truong

To the point, I was having trouble getting into this book. The instalove and Manny Ortega’s almost instantaneous 180 jump to conclusions of assholic proportions was a little stifling. I remember when I called Nolan Garrett an asshole. Well, he doesn’t quite hold a torch to Manny’s misplaced anger and assumptions. Fortunately for Under the Wire it still had a couple of good things going for it even if I had trouble sympathizing with our main characters.

And also, Dallas just gets hotter a
May Mostly Romance
หยิบเรื่อง Under the wire ของซินดี้ เจอราร์ดมาอ่านก็เพราะเหตุผลตามชื่อบลอกนั่นแหละ ดองเรื่องนี้ไปหลายเดือน เพราะด้วยความเชื่อที่ว่า เมื่อนักเขียนเขียนงานที่ดีสุดสุดมาเล่มนึง เขาก็จะฝีมือตกไปอีกอย่างน้อยสองสามเล่ม และในเมื่องเรื่อง On theline ถือเป็นงานระดับมาสเตอร์พีชของซินดี้ไปแล้ว เล่มนี้ที่เขียนต่อมา ยังไงก็ย่อมเทียบไม่ได้

แม็กซ์ก็เลยเก็บไว้ก่อน จนกระทั่งไปสะดุดตาบทสัมภาษณ์คนแต่งที่ถูกถามประเด็นเรื่องเขียนเล่มนี้แล้วให้นางเอกแก่กว่าพระเอก พอเห็นเข้าก็ตาโตเท่าไข่ห่าน เพราะนี่เป็นพล็อตถูกใจอย่าง
Tina
Beth
Manny and Lily . . . Manny Ortega is a man without a country, and he has one woman to thank for it. She was his first and only true love, and when she left, she took more than his heart - she took his life as he knew it. Hardened and honed sharp as a knife by years as a special forces soldier and police detective, Manny is ready for a fresh start at his friend Ethan Garrett's security firm. But the past isn't ready to let him go...

To Keep Her Safe...

Lily Campora never imagined what would happen
Quinn
The start of this book didn't work at all for me. Part I takes place 17 years ago when a young Manny (who we've met in previous books) meets Lily in Nicaragua during Contra revolution. When Manny sees the sad-eyed Lily at a party neither wants to attend, he sets his sights on her and persuades her to come home with him.

Let me just say this bluntly: The young Manny comes across as a complete sleaze - almost to the point of making my skin crawl. There was nothing hot about him at all, and by Lily'
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
manny is working for the rebels in nicaragua with support from the US. he falls in love with lily, who is 10 years his senior, and they spend a wonderful week (or two) together. manny promises that he will be back one night, but he is held and questioned for being a traitor. they tell him that lily betrayed him, that that was what she was there for. manny doesn't believe it until he gets back to the room and finds that lily is gone. lily has been told that manny is dead, and that she is
  • Take Me Tonight (Bullet Catcher, #3)
  • Run to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #3)
  • Time to Run (SEAL Team 12, #3)
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Too Hot to Hold (Hold Trilogy, #2)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • On Thin Ice (T-FLAC #6)
195778
The only thing Cindy had in mind when she started writing her first book was finishing it. The issue of actually selling it came much later. Only after she made that life-altering first sale did she realize that one book would never be enough. Now, over 20 books and numerous awards later, Cindy laughingly admits that she can barely remember life before...well, was there life before writing?

Actuall
More about Cindy Gerard...

The Bodyguards (6 books)
  • To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)
  • To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2)
  • To the Brink (The Bodyguards, #3)
  • Over the Line (The Bodyguards, #4)
  • Into the Dark (The Bodyguards, #6)
Show No Mercy (Black Ops, #1) To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1) Whisper No Lies (Black Ops, #3) Take No Prisoners (Black Ops, #2) Feel the Heat (Black Ops, #4)

“Mi Corazon. Mi alma. Son tuyos." My heart. My soul. They are yours, he whispered against the generous curve of her breast as a million sensations, all of them hot, all of them rich, all of them straddling the razor-sharp edge of pain, ripped through his loins like a flash fire and stripped him of everything but consciousness.

"Tuyo. Todo que tengo es tuyo." Yours. Everything I have is yours.”
6 likes