The Affair of the Mutiliated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)

The Affair of the Mutiliated Mink (Burford Family #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The Earl of Burford can't believe his luck; Rex Ransom, his favourite star from the 'talkies', and his hot-shot producer, Haggermeir, want to film their next feature at Alderley, the family's seventeenth-century country estate. Somewhat less enthusiastic is the Countess, who suddenly finds herself hosting an impromptu house party for the incoming Hollywood crowd. It's almo...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Allison & Busby (first published October 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Affair of the Mutiliated Mink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Affair of the Mutiliated Mink

Gerry
Another weekend at Lord and Lady Burford's country estate. Plenty of guests arrive, some invited, others not. Tensions build between the parties, some of whom are involved in the film industry, and eventually a murder is committed. The less than sanguine Chief Inspector Wilkins (he has been promoted since the first disaster at Alderley) arrives as does a Scotland Yard detective. Between them they investigate and despite the Scotland Yard man's supposed better background, Wilkins is the one who u...more
S.
All the proper ingredients are present once again: Country Manor, pretty ladies, murder most foul.

James Anderson had tremendous flair for weaving together many different threads and never dropping a single one.

Also, he is adamant that every story so far has to have one truly crazy act in it; in the first, it involved a canon, in this installment a motorbike takes center stage in the derring-do.

Ripping, spiffing, roaring, rambunctious fun.

As Signorina Lorenzo might have said:
"Seemply Deelightfool...more
Bev Hankins
I love country house cozies and this send up of the Golden Age is wonderful!
Li
A new-to-me find in the Golden Age Detectives mystery field! Though there are only three books in this series - sigh.

I found this book reminiscent of Heyer's and Christie's mysteries with the 1930s British country house setting. The ending was completely unexpected but lovely, and I of course bought the other two books immediately.

And oh, the references to other fictional detectives (Wimsey and Alleyn) made me laugh.
I am a huge James Anderson fan. I think I read The Affair of the Blood Stained Egg Cosy when I was a teenager shopping in a used bookstore in Maine. It is just my absolute favorite twisted plot novel. This sequel was so much fun that I devoured it in two days. I will have to reread it someday to see how I was led down the wrong path when I REALLY thought I had cleverly solved the puzzle. You can't go wrong with James Anderson.
Antonia Mochan
Loads of fun. An easy read, but don't underestimate it. There is an undercurrent of (affectionate) satire of the genre, complete with over-confident celebrity directive.
Another great read - great for a day when it's raining outside and you have the luxury of just curling up with a good book.
grainnemcmahon
Karen
This book is a lot of fun. Nods and sly winks to all the inspector / whodunnits that have gone before.

Actually laughed out loud at this part (the speakers are Inspector Wilkins to Lord Burford):
"When I joined the force, I never saw myself out of the uniformed branch - perhaps a sergeant, at best. And in a peaceful place like Westshire, thought that poachers and the odd petty thief would be the extent of my contact with criminal types. But who could have anticipated the crime wave that's broken o...more
Jules Jones
Second in Anderson's series of affectionate parodies of the classic 1930s country house murder mystery. I thought this one was better constructed than the first, with enough there to make it possible to deduce who the killer was if you were paying attention. I did work out who the killer probably was fairly early on, but not his motive, which is very cleverly hidden. I missed some of the clues and was distracted by some of the red herrings, so wasn't certain until close to the end.[return][retur...more
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
In this book, written in 1981, but set in the 20s, a "talkies"-mad Earl is immensely flattered when a movie producer wants to set his latest costume drama in the Earl's country house. The producer (together with the Earl's favourite actor, who's supposed to star in the film) are invited to the house to scope it out. And before the Earl knows it, the whole thing has turned into a house party, with every single room in the massive house in use.

I read the first 120 or so pages. It started out well....more
Jennie
I am really enjoying this series, and regret that there are apparently only three books. Poor Lord and Lady Burford are once again hosting a murderous house party! This second book was like the first: a traditional English country-house mystery with no surprises and plenty of nods to its classic predecessors (Poirot, Holmes, and Lord Peter Wimsey are referred to as living people, not literary characters). The narrative unfolds with a twinkle in its eye, full of red herrings, plot twists, and peo...more
A budding movie buff, the Earl of Burford is delighted to have his stately home overrun for a weekend by an entourage of Hollywood’s finest (not to mention kookiest), even though his last house party ended in murder. A repeat performance seems inevitable after his daughter adds both her suitors to the guest list. Liberally sprinkled with period references, from the works of everyone from Ngaio Marsh to Dorothy Sayers, this homage to the mysteries of the ‘30s adds the character of the pompous Gre...more
Jamesy
Huge Agatha Christie Poirot addict, and this feeds my passion for period crime fiction!!! If only ITV would make this as a series......!!!!!!!!
Hitesh Relkar
A wonderful Classic "WHoDunIt" novel.
A good story stitched with a great suspense.
Nancy Wilson
Just great good fun, if slightly complicated. And love Merryweather the Butler!!
Richard
This was my favorite mystery novel for many years, and I think it's held up pretty well. Anderson offers plenty of what you came for - colorful characters, red herrings, mistaken identities, and lots of sneaking around in the dark - with a breezy, clever, not-quite-spoofing style that is plain FUN.

I love this book.

ps. The Avon edition has a cover (not pictured here) in the style of a 70's movie poster that I think is just about perfect.
Robert Manners
This one was considerably less complicated than its predecessor, and so was a much easier read: you could keep track of the characters and motivations, and there were a lot fewer red herrings. However, the narrative was also a bit less gripping, and the clues were too easy. I really enjoyed the metafictional references to the universe of the genre, it was a very clever conceit that delivered enjoyable little jabs throughout.
Lynne Randolph
While this one wasn't quite as good as the first, still a very enjoyable and amusing read.
Vikas Datta
As good as its predecessor with nothing turning out to be what it seems and so many twists and turns - including a double-U shaped one (if it is possible), before we arrive at the solution and then also it is not the end. A gem of a book with that fiendishly-crafted plot, unforgettable characters and a brilliantly-evoked atmosphere of a golden era
Alistair
i wanted something lightweight but this was feather light . a cross between P G Woodhouse and Agatha Christie but less good than either . the setting English Country Hice with a couple of murders and stock characters all that I liked but the plot was ridiculous as was the denouement .
Rebecca Fieler
This was fun and enjoyable -- in the reign of other 30's country house mysteries. A good read, but maybe not a re-read. There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that I could have figured out who did it in the end. I like there to at least be a remote chance.
Joy
3.5, rounded up to a 4. Another fun homage to Golden Age murder mysteries, though if you're familiar enough with those you could probably guess whodunnit from genre convention alone (especially if you know your Agatha Christie).
Lawrence
The second of James Andersons mysteries set in the same manor house, well written with a good cast of suspects well wort a read by golden age fans.
Lindig
was in perm.lib. But ready to let go. Very witty "country house" British mystery, set between the two world wars.
Sarah Edmundson
My favourite of the three books, wonderfully written and terribly Tongue in cheek!!
Christine
A pleasant & easy read that conjures up images of a bygone era.
Sam de Croy
Great fun for long journeys - made me giggle out loud at points.
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Angel with Two Faces (Josephine Tey, #2)
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • An English Murder
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The False Inspector Dew
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Shadow of the Serpent: An Inspector McLevy Mystery
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
191735
James Anderson was educated at Reading University where he gained a History degree and although born in Swindon, Wiltshire, he lived for most of his life near Cardiff.

He worked as a salesman before becoming a copywriter and then a freelance journalist, contributing to many newspapers, house journals and specialist magazines. He later turned to writing novels, the first of which was 'Assassin' (196...more
More about James Anderson...
The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family Mysteries, #1) The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3) The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy/The Affair of the Mutilated Mink/The Affair of the Thirthy-Nine Cufflinks: An Omnibus Edition Murder, She Wrote The Murder of Sherlock Holmes (Jessica Fletcher, #2) Murder, She Wrote Hooray for Homicide (Jessica Fletcher, #1)