Start by marking “Prisoner 1167: The Madman Who Was Jack the Ripper” as Want to Read:
Prisoner 1167: The Madman Who Was Jack the Ripper
Preview

Prisoner 1167: The Madman Who Was Jack the Ripper

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 1883, James Kelly was convicted of murdering his wife under the psychotic delusion that she was a prostitute. Judged to be deranged, Kelly was sent to Broadmoor asylum, but escaped in 1888. Within a few months, the Whitechapel Horrors began. Reviewing the history of Jack the Ripper in encyclopedic detail, Tully profiles other suspects before building his compelling case ...more
Published August 31st 1997 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner 1167, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner 1167

Scott L.
The problem with attempting to solve a mystery 130 years after it occurred is that most of the evidence, physical and otherwise, has either disappeared or is degraded. The author of this book attempts to go through the paper trail of a known escapee from a British insane asylum to prove that person to be the famous "Jack the Ripper". While the author makes a good case with the paper trail that he uses, I still find there to be too much speculation and too many possibilities without fact. Therefo ...more
Grunnada Gaigneur
I have always been into this genre of writing. James Tully keeps you fascinated with each page turn. I am not convinced that this particular person was Jack the Ripper, but the author lays it out and presents it so well, you may be swayed to think that his postulations are possible.
Very well written and compelling. A must read if you like this sort of book.
Zombaby Cera
I have always been intrigued by the Jack the Ripper mystery since I first read about it in junior high. This book really offers more substantial evidence than any of the other accusations that I've read about concerning the Whitechapel murders. Awesome read!
Katherine
I have read a good number of "Ripper-ologist" books and this is by far at the top of my list. It has many of the same items that the other books have, the photos, the few facts surrounding the killings and so forth, however the theory that Jack the Ripper was this one man - Prisoner 1167 (I don't want to say too much if you're going to read it), well, it's still just a theory but an fascinating read.
The only drawback - it took me a good 25 to 30% of the book to really get into it, but it was wo
Olivia
This was one of the books I picked up 'to read during lunch' while I was a librarian. I would generally choose a random new release, take it in the back room with me for lunch, and put it back after half an hour. This is one of the rare "random" books that I actually took home and finished. It was fascinating, and pretty convincing. I don't know if I totally believe his conclusions, but it made for a very interesting read.

Not for the overly squeamish, though not unneccesarily gruesome either.
Al
A very well-researched view of each of the 'Ripper' murders detailing all of the subsequent proceedings as well as the associated locales. The author then goes on to make a case for the fit of James Kelly, an escapee from a nearby lunatic asylum, with the timing as well as specifics of the killings. The presentation is very straightforward and matter-of-fact in terms of style, almost as if being reported for a newspaper or other type of publication.
Johannes Von aurend
Johannes Von aurend marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Kyla
Kyla marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 20, 2014
Donna Destefanis
Donna Destefanis marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Christi Exman
Christi Exman marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
msleighm
msleighm marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Brie
Brie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Jessalyn
Jessalyn marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Bernice Hicks
Bernice Hicks marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
KarenB
KarenB marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013