The House at Old Vine (House, #2)

The House at Old Vine (House #2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Beginning in the fifteenth century and concluding at the time of the Restoration, this is the second volume in the 'House' trilogy. The House at Old Vine is a colourful account of a turbulent period in English history containing religious persecution, war, rebellion and social change. The house in Suffolk is a dramatic link between the six characters who inhabit it during...more
Published July 28th 2000 by House of Stratus (first published 1961)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Recommended Historical Fiction
142nd out of 1,544 books — 1,474 voters
The Town House by Norah LoftsHow Far to Bethlehem? by Norah LoftsThe Concubine by Norah LoftsThe House at Old Vine by Norah LoftsNethergate by Norah Lofts
Best Norah Lofts books
4th out of 74 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayli
I love reading these typical Norah Lofts books that go through the generations. So interesting, though I must confess, fairly depressing in many of the chapters.
The coolest thing though, is that I happened to find this book at a used bookstore in Bern who had English paperbacks for 1 frank. And after a few short minutes of browsing, while my kids are waiting impatiently, I found two books by one of my favorite authors! What a great day.
May 31, 2009 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Alice
The second book of the trilogy on the town house, not so engaging as others Lofts books.
Magda
There seems to be much more bitterness in this volume than in the first (The Town House), which was all the sweeter for Maude Reed's Tale. However, this volume of the series was quite interesting.
Lisa
This story covers 6 generations that all have ties to the home Old Vine. It is broken down into each persons story. I enjoyed the tales and would have rated it higher - except the ending left me dissatisfied. It was almost like the author tired of her tale and just ended the story.
Rebekah
Book two in the Norah Loft's "House trilogy." Interesting historical fiction involving all the people and events connected to an English house from it's building in the 1400's to modern times.
Robin
Can't put it down. So good.
K.l.
Found it a bit longwinded and drawn out, there was little character continuity, and I struggle to enjoy a book when there is no consistent main characters. It was however interesting to se the progression of the houseover several cenuries, but the family relations were a little confusing!
Linda
Reed's descendants from the era of Columbus to the restoration of Charles II in 1680.
Wynne
I love this series of 3 books about a house and all the generations who live in it.
Pat Stearman
Read a lot of Norah Lofts too at one time - not at all bad.
Amy
Jan 21, 2011 Amy added it
fantastic
Kristine Saunders
Kristine Saunders marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Cherilyn
Cherilyn marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
NayNay
NayNay marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • Daughters of Spain (Isabella and Ferdinand, #3)
  • The King's Grey Mare
  • The Long Shadow (Morland Dynasty, #6)
  • Avalon
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
195727
Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residents that lived in it.

Lofts was born in Shipdham, Norfolk in England...more
More about Norah Lofts...
The Concubine Anne Boleyn The King's Pleasure Eleanor the Queen The Town House (House, #1)