Start by marking “Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The cross is the defining symbol of the Christian faith. Yet the Roman cross was first and foremost an instrument of cruel, shameful and violent execution. Early Christians quickly recognized the atoning significance of the cross of Christ, and it resonated deeply with their experience of salvation. But the cross remained a blessing framed by scandal, an epochal and yet my...more
Published September 12th 2000 by IVP Academic (first published August 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Recovering the Scandal of the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recovering the Scandal of the Cross

Samuel Garcia
Joel Green and Mark Baker have a heart for mission, which fuels their approach in this book. They present about 6 or 7 different models of the atonement besides the traditional ones. The main thesis is that we should not expect the atonement to be exhausted by any single explanation: just as the problem of evil is so profound and multifaceted such that it cannot be summed up in a single "explanation", in the same way, the atonement--God's "answer" to evil--cannot be "contained in" any theory. We...more
Jacob Aitken
Had the potential to offer good insights on non-penal models of the atonement, but engaged in stereotypes. Even Eastern Orthodox scholars like David Bentley Hart demonstrates that St Anselm did not have such a crass model of the atonement but was actually quite nuanced. There is more agreement between St Athanasius and St Anselm, for example, than further thought.

Still, all negatives aside (e.g., being published by IVP, guarranteing silly evanjellyfishism), it does raise serious weaknesses with...more
Robbie
This book was something I've been interested in reading for sometime. In fact, I probably had it on my wish list on Amazon for close to three or four years. For some reason I just never got around to reading it.

I really don't have the time to provide an in depth/detailed review of the book; however, I will say that it challenges the primary evangelical notion of atonement. That is, it takes on the notion that the penal substitutionary atonement model (Jesus' death on the cross conquered sin by...more
Радостин Марчев
Познавам проф. Грийн като един от най-силните, ясни и смислени съвременни гласове критикуващи доминиращият консервативнот евангелско богословие модел на наказателно заместническо изкупление. Настоящата книга не е изключение. Все пак макар да не споделям докрай неговата позиция в нея има много, което си струва да чуем и което намирам за напълно вярно.
Една от изходните точки на тяхното разглеждане на изкуплението е, че то е многостранно и многообразно – и, което е по-важно, самият Нов Завет го пр...more
John
Aug 27, 2009 John added it
Shelves: theology
Green and Baker take their shot at undermining penal substitutionary atonement. This book fails at many levels. Here are a few:
(1) It constantly paints PSA in caricatures that aren't helpful or assumes an unorthodox understanding of God - like divine child abuse, pins the Trinity against itself, etc. Because Green and Baker have an unorthodox doctrine of God and christology, then they have an unorthodox view of atonement.
(2) They constantly assume a New Perspective understanding of Paul and reli...more
Nate
Great treatment of the atonement. The authors persuasively demonstrate that the mystery of the atonement can't be summed up in its totality in one metaphor (read: penal substitution).

Biblically, sacrifice, reconciliation, restoration, etc. were other ways that the death of Christ was "for us". Tracing through Anselm and Abelard, and then showing current interpretations of the atonement, such as feminist views, African, and Japanese perspectives, Green and Baker carefully argue that Christ's dea...more
Daniel
I really was intrigued by this book and it's goal of developing a more expansive meaning to the Cross and why Jesus died. I enjoyed the different perspectives, and was especially intrigued by the chapter on contextualizing the cross for the Japanese audience.

I don't have much to compare the book to as it is one of my first forays into more "theological" reading, so I'll leave my content review at that.

Overall, it was quite readable and not to esoteric, but it was still intellectual in nature,...more
Mitchell Ebbott
Excellent recovery of multiplicity and metaphor within atonement theology. Much more nuanced and careful than most books in this area. This should be required reading for every seminary student.
James
I read another Atonement book? Yep. So it's for a class. This one is quite good. It is another multiple metaphor book. There is a bias against penal substitution but I think it offers a good critique. Particularly insightful is the discussion of guilt vs. shame based cultures in trying to contextualize the atonement.

Joel Green also does a good job at analyzing the appropriate N.T. texts related to the cross.
Heather Tomlinson
This is a detailed but accessible investigation into the various meanings of the Cross in the Bible. It's a helpful reminder that the Cross represents more than just 'substitutionary atonement', because it tends to be the latter that's focused on in most evangelical churches. The book doesn't deny the importance of this, but points out that the meaning is deeper and richer than just substitution alone.
Noemi Vega
AMAZING!!!! This book opened me up to new models of the atonement that were refreshing, liberating, and life-giving. I recommend this to ANYONE trying to understand what was accomplished on the cross where Jesus died. Note: this is not your typical Sunday school teaching. Grounded in Scripture and theology, Baker and Green explain the beautiful "scandal of the cross."
Deb Amend
This was a GREAT read! It answered questions that have lingered in my mind for years, while at the same time giving me a great over view of what SCRIPTURE, rather than Calvin, has to say about atonement. While it was dry reading at times, as most academic reads are, it had a wealth of information.
Penny
Setting this one down for a bit until I can read through it with a journal and take careful notes. I'm about a 3rd of the way through and I can tell it will end up landing on my list of all time favorites.
Brett
A good book in that it expands our understanding of the saving significance of Jesus beyond just penal-substitution. However, I have reservations about some of their thesis. Worth reading though.
Chris Gill
Definite bias against the Penal Substitution model of atonement, but ask serious, realistic questions of it and of the other models of the atonement. Good read!
Raborn
A good introduction into the world of atonement theories. This book presents a "Kaleidoscopic View" of the atonement.
Ron Willoughby
A challenging, but worthwhile read.
Charlotte
For my Theology of Atonement class.
Jerry
Alright.
Keri
Nov 11, 2013 Keri marked it as to-read
Shelves: library
10.00
Colin Lewis
Colin Lewis marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Martin Navarro
Martin Navarro marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Joel B. Green (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament interpretation and associate dean of the Center for Advanced Theological Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. Prior to moving to Fuller, he taught at Asbury Theological Seminary for ten years. He is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Theological Interpretation and has authored or edited numerous boo...more
More about Joel B. Green...
Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship The Gospel of Luke (New International Commentary on the New Testament) Wesley Study Bible-NRSV Hearing the New Testament: Strategies for Interpretation The Theology of the Gospel of Luke