50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants

50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Tracy DiSabato-Aust has taught thousands of readers how to design and maintain their gardens. Her first book -- The Well-Tended Perennial Garden -- is Timber's best-selling title and widely considered the bible of perennial maintenance. 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants is packed with useful tips, practical hints, and Tracy's own gardening experience. It is sure to fi...more
Published January 7th 2009 by Timber Press (first published January 1st 2009)

Denise
Stunning photographs but not enough information in my opinion. The plants in this book were picked by the author for the climate and growing conditions found in Ohio. But not everyone has the money to afford such plantings. There are those of us who consider themselves lucky to be able to buy a flat of petunias but still have grandiose gardening dreams nevertheless.

I'm going back to my library to find a book on "low cost" gardening tips and plants.
Laurla2
had to screen for zone 4 plants, most werent hardy that far north. lots of lovely pictures. these ones caught my eye.
korean angelica - angelica gigas - tall red purple flowers/seedheads
blue fals indigo - baptisia australis - shrub with blue flowers
'jack frost' siberian bugloss - brunnera macrophylla - silver frosted leaves with green veins
'gateway' joe pye weed - eupatorium maculatum - large pink flowers/seedheads
hellebore - helleborus - evergreen foliage with flowers of many different colors
'en...more
M
Jan 25, 2010 M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: gardening
Good but not great for this area of the country.
Gaby
Jun 04, 2009 Gaby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: urban gardeners, novice gardeners, gardeners as general
Shelves: gardening
Review: 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants:
Tough-but-Beautiful Plants Anyone Can Grow by Tracy Disabato-Aust

As a novice gardener, I am drawn to gardening books with a judicious mix of beautiful pictures and helpful advice. This book caught me with its opening:

I wrote this book because you might be like me. You love to garden, but there is never enough time...I've been a gardener for over thirty years both as an avocation and vocation. I love gardening but I also have countless other passio...more
Candy
I liked the way this book was arranged, with large photos and little summary blocks about each plant. Learning that the big blue hostas are slug resistant was good information for me, because I think they are beautiful, and the slugs have eaten all the others that I have tried!!
I think I will also try Solomon's seal under my pines.
It kind of amazed me that the author planted 85 Rozanne geraniums to make a blue river in her yard. How do people afford to buy so many plants?
Elizabeth
Yes, this book departs radically from her other books, which explored concepts and strategies rather than plant recommendations, but if you want a good, detailed, honest list of plant recommendations that will get you excited about the plants in question, well, this is it.

I was particularly fascinated by all her great shade recs, including grasses for shade. I will be using and referring to this book, for sure.
William
I planted a Rosa rugosa 'Hansa' this year based on the recommendation in this book.

I am particularly intrigued by the recommendation of the 'Ogon' dawn redwood. If everyone planted one, it would dramatically transform the landscape of many locations.

This is a valuable book. It makes specific recommendations, and lays out the logical case for those recommendations.

Worth buying.
Josephine
Any book that includes pruning in the low-care doesn't understand my concept of low care! I want a plant-it and forget-it garden. Pruning and shaping doesn't really fit my concept. I marked a few plants which seemed interesting and I may include them in my next gardening project.
Kiri
Fabulous book! I really liked the way it was organized. Although there were quite a few plants that were not in my zone (4), thus revealing that this is not a book aimed specifically at Minnesotans, I got some ideas for plants I'd like to have.
Laurie
Aug 18, 2009 Laurie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lazy Gardeners who Like to Make a Statement
Shelves: gardens-plants
Quick read...interesting & unusual plants, including perennials, shrubs, trees & grasses. Definitely hope to try some of these one day.
Sandy T
Love this book! So many great recommendations for interesting and unusual plants... mine is bookmarked all through it!
Lauren
Great pictures and descriptions, good information. Got some ideas.
Mary
Well put together book. Plus the author lives in my state.
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Mark Engelen
Mark Engelen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Lynda Byrd
Lynda Byrd marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Julie R
Julie R marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques The Well-Designed Mixed Garden: Building Beds and Borders with Trees, Shrubs, Perennials, Annuals, and Bulbs