Start by marking “The Hungry Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Hungry Spirit

The Hungry Spirit

From one of the world's most respected business and social philosophers, a groundbreaking book that challenges us to question our reliance on traditional definitions of "success" and inspires us to find meaning and fulfillment in our professional, personal and spiritual lives.

Many of us, Charles Handy asserts, are confused and frustrated by the fast-paced, prosperous world
Published January 5th 1999 by Broadway Books (first published October 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Hungry Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hungry Spirit

Sambasivan
Sep 06, 2015 Sambasivan rated it really liked it
This books asks the basic questions on why we are here and what is the purpose of life. Capitalism if nourished with proper selfishness can help evolve a decent society where we can peacefully co exist with each other. There is a need to say 'enough' and start living in a world of Trust. Profound thoughts written by an erudite scholar in simple language. Crystal clear writing. Strong arguments and unquarrellable conclusions.
Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership
One of Cambridge Sustainability's Top 50 Books for Sustainability, as voted for by our alumni network of over 3,000 senior leaders from around the world. To find out more, click here.

The Hungry Spirit, which is a philosophical treatise on business, grew out of a personal realisation by Handy that, over the course of his life, he had placed too much signficance on job titles and and career success. Conversely, he felt he had not paid enough attention to the importance of family, friends and becom
Mehul Raina
Apr 26, 2016 Mehul Raina rated it liked it
The book is inspiring in pieces. The first and second part are interesting reads wherein the author decries the institutions of relying entirely on market principles and also elucidates the concept of proper selfishness. Its, however, in the third part that I loose interest where the author talks about the role of corporation and governments. Overall a good read which I had to drag through on multiple occasions.
Rebecca
Jul 04, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: better-self
Not a book I would have picked up on my own, but I am very glad my summer roommate picked it up. I was curious after seeing on the coffee table and decided to give it a go. Had some great pointers on the business world and how to treat employees and business partners (and pretty much anyone you meet) that is necessary to become successful in any field.
Sam
Interesting ideas on a progression to and advanced capitalist society that brings a bit of humanist advancement from the economic advantages of capitalism. It would be an interesting topic to update the ideas given the economic changes of the last 15+ years since this came out.
Chris Gould
Apr 07, 2012 Chris Gould rated it really liked it
A good read. He espouses the Japanese company model just a couple of years before its limitations began to hopelessly undermine it.
Prachit
Prachit rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Robert Evans
Robert Evans rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Alastair McDermott
Alastair McDermott rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Ken Ndirangu
Ken Ndirangu rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Deborah Mills
Deborah Mills rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Technopagan
Technopagan rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Ray Noyes
Ray Noyes rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Jan Höglund
Jan Höglund rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Mark Law
Mark Law rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Robert Volkwyn
Robert Volkwyn rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Richard Sauerman
Richard Sauerman rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
Colmd
Colmd rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Atul Awasthi
Atul Awasthi rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Jacques Siebrits
Jacques Siebrits rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2013
Joseph Manuel
Joseph Manuel rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Alex Chan
Alex Chan rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2015
Venky
Venky rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change
  • The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses
  • Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism
  • The Small Business Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed in Your Small Business
  • The Barefoot Investor: Five Steps to Financial Freedom in Your 20s and 30s
  • Love and Logic Magic: When Kids Drain Your Energy (Parenting with Love and Logic)
  • Crazy Plates: Low-Fat Food So Good, You'll Swear It's Bad for You
  • Africa Rising: How 900 Million African Consumers Offer More Than You Think
  • Creating Tomorrow's Schools Today: Education - Our Children - Their Futures
  • Bubble Of American Supremacy
  • 100 Places That Can Change Your Child's Life: From Your Backyard to the Ends of the Earth
  • Returning to Silence
  • Complaint Free Relationships: Transforming Your Life One Relationship at a Time
  • Relationship Skills 101 for Teens: Your Guide to Dealing with Daily Drama, Stress, and Difficult Emotions Using DBT
  • Children of Hoarders: How to Minimize Conflict, Reduce the Clutter, and Improve Your Relationship
  • Remote Viewing Secrets: The Handbook for Developing and Extending Your Psychic Abilities
  • Feeling Loved: The Science of Nurturing Meaningful Connections and Building Lasting Happiness
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
195681
An Irish author/philosopher specialising in organisational behaviour and management. Among the ideas he has advanced are the "portfolio worker" and the "Shamrock Organization".

For many years he worked as a professor at London Business School.
More about Charles B. Handy...

“Democracy assumes that individuals must be allowed to be the best judge of their own interests, even if they often seem to be misguided. Governments are not there to tell us what to believe or think, they are there to represent our beliefs, and to translate them into laws or regulations.” 0 likes