Start by marking “Mysticism for Beginners: Poems” as Want to Read:
Mysticism for Beginners: Poems

Mysticism for Beginners: Poems

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Powerful New work by a modern master.

You must listen, listen, listen.
Tired springs breathe under water.
At four in the morningthe last, lonely bolt of lightning
scribbles something quickly in the sky.
It says "No." Or "Never.
"Or "Take courage, the fire's not dead."
-from "The Last Storm"

Mysticism for Beginners is the third and most beautiful of Adam Zagajewski's collections to
Published April 15th 1999 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mysticism for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysticism for Beginners

Courtney Johnston
Jul 30, 2012 Courtney Johnston rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, poetry
Adam Zagajewski might be a little quiet, a little plain-spoken, a little lacking in the electric-skin-flicker I'm looking for right now. Whatever the reason, these poems largely flowed over me without catching.

One thing did catch me though: his repeated use (or Clare Cavanagh's repeated use in her translation) of the zeugma, a rhetorical device in which two words or phrases are yoked together. Most of the examples you find online help not at all to explain this idea - my favourite is, I believe,
Melissa
Jul 11, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"Oh, tell me how to cure myself of irony, the gaze/ that sees but doesn't penetrate..."

He did, he did. These are poems without armor.

Also, Clare Cavanaugh worked magic with the internal rhymes in the translation from Polish.
Dom Zuccone
Jul 19, 2010 Dom Zuccone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
For those of us feeling increasingly rootless, Zagajewski finds a place in the beauty of the shower of the world in flight
Danielle Barnhart
Sep 05, 2011 Danielle Barnhart rated it really liked it
Mysticism for Beginners by Adam Zagajewski (translated from the Polish by Clare Cavanagh) is rich, ponderous, inquisitive, and full of both dark and light splendor. Written in free-verse, and in widely varying lengths, the poems somehow capture the elusive stuff of life that draws us into our own brands of spirituality. Zagajewski plays with artists and their subjects, meditate with the sounds of life, and even seems to dance with the dead.

This book of poetry was such a delightful surprise at ev
Nils
Dec 06, 2014 Nils rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overwhelmingly grand. Even without all the historic or intertextual references (which you don't necessarily need) the language here is rich and broad but without becoming pedantic or stilted. Some of the poems here took me considerable time and several rereads to grasp. But even in the longer poems you get the experience, the emotion before you 'understand' or are able to visualize anything or reflect on it. Remarkably, the shorter poems aren't that much easier but they're just as strong and hav ...more
h
Oct 27, 2015 h rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, translated, 2015
some stand out lines & stunning images, but i suspect too much gets lost in the translation shuffle. 2.5
Garrett
Mar 17, 2007 Garrett rated it really liked it
Shelves: recently-read
I'm not really in any position to review poetry, but this guy writes some good poems. He's Polish, so some of it I can't relate with, which means I probably just don't get the deeper meaning of the poem. The stuff I do get is really good, though, for what it's worth.
Ching-In
I took one star away for the Oriental/exotic/blank slate references.
toni
Favorites:
The City Where I Want to Live; On Swimming
Emily Keith
Emily Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Leola
Leola marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
∞Bertha
∞Bertha marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Emmalina
Emmalina rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
DilanAc
DilanAc rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Mindi
Mindi added it
Jun 30, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Katbyrdie
Katbyrdie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Mamta
Mamta marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Loren
Loren is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
X.
X. marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Springboard
Springboard marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Alex Chis
Alex Chis rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Denisia Susanu
Denisia Susanu marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ben Beach
Ben Beach rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
  • Four Questions of Melancholy: New and Selected Poems
  • Mr Cogito
  • Colosseum: Poems
  • Bluebird and Other Tattoos
  • Facts About the Moon
  • Selected Poems, 1963-1983
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 2: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Postwar to Millennium
  • Some Trees
  • Selected Poems: 1931-2004
  • Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • Silence in the Snowy Fields: Poems (Wesleyan Poetry Program)
  • One Love Affair: A Million Wallowing Anemones, a Thousand Eyes Peeping Through, a Thousand Spies Shivering, Unnamable Endless Flowerings, Countless Empty Bottles, Twelve Flowers, Eleven Trees, Eight Fruits, Four Vegetables, Four Peppers, Two Enemas, Tw...
Adam Zagajewski is a Polish poet, novelist, translator and essayist. He was awarded the 2004 Neustadt International Prize for Literature.

The Zagajeski family was expelled from Lwów by the Ukrainians to central Poland in 1945.
In 1982 he emigrated to Paris, but in 2002 he returned to Poland, and resides in Kraków.
His poem "Try To Praise The Mutilated World", printed in The New Yorker, became famou
More about Adam Zagajewski...