Mysticism for Beginners: Poems

Mysticism for Beginners: Poems

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Powerful New work by a modern master.You must listen, listen, listen.Tired springs breathe under water.At four in the morningthe last, lonely bolt of lightningscribbles something quickly in the sky.It says No. Or Never.Or Take courage, the fire's not dead.-from The Last StormMysticism for Beginners is the third and most beautiful of Adam Zagajewski's collections to appear...more
Published April 15th 1999 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mysticism for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysticism for Beginners

Courtney Johnston
Adam Zagajewski might be a little quiet, a little plain-spoken, a little lacking in the electric-skin-flicker I'm looking for right now. Whatever the reason, these poems largely flowed over me without catching.

One thing did catch me though: his repeated use (or Clare Cavanagh's repeated use in her translation) of the zeugma, a rhetorical device in which two words or phrases are yoked together. Most of the examples you find online help not at all to explain this idea - my favourite is, I believe,...more
Melissa
"Oh, tell me how to cure myself of irony, the gaze/ that sees but doesn't penetrate..."

He did, he did. These are poems without armor.

Also, Clare Cavanaugh worked magic with the internal rhymes in the translation from Polish.
Dani Lock
Mysticism for Beginners by Adam Zagajewski (translated from the Polish by Clare Cavanagh) is rich, ponderous, inquisitive, and full of both dark and light splendor. Written in free-verse, and in widely varying lengths, the poems somehow capture the elusive stuff of life that draws us into our own brands of spirituality. Zagajewski plays with artists and their subjects, meditate with the sounds of life, and even seems to dance with the dead.

This book of poetry was such a delightful surprise at ev...more
Garrett
I'm not really in any position to review poetry, but this guy writes some good poems. He's Polish, so some of it I can't relate with, which means I probably just don't get the deeper meaning of the poem. The stuff I do get is really good, though, for what it's worth.
Dom Zuccone
For those of us feeling increasingly rootless, Zagajewski finds a place in the beauty of the shower of the world in flight
Ching-In
I took one star away for the Oriental/exotic/blank slate references.
toni
Favorites:
The City Where I Want to Live; On Swimming
MMG
MMG marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Scottie Leung
Scottie Leung marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Jacob Taylor
Jacob Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Grady McCallie
Grady McCallie marked it as to-read
Liudmila Mindova
Liudmila Mindova marked it as to-read
Scot Quaranda
Scot Quaranda marked it as to-read
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Rob
Rob added it
Jan 19, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Jan 18, 2014
L.K
L.K marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Adam Zagajewski is a Polish poet, novelist, translator and essayist. He was awarded the 2004 Neustadt International Prize for Literature.

The Zagajeski family was expelled from Lwów by the Ukrainians to central Poland in 1945.
In 1982 he emigrated to Paris, but in 2002 he returned to Poland, and resides in Kraków.
His poem "Try To Praise The Mutilated World", printed in The New Yorker, became famou...more
More about Adam Zagajewski...
Without End: New and Selected Poems Eternal Enemies: Poems A Defense of Ardor: Essays Unseen Hand: Poems Another Beauty