Start by marking “The Mane Event (Pride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mane Event (Pride, #1)

The Mane Event (Pride #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  18,974 Ratings  ·  888 Reviews
One of the hottest new voices in paranormal romance, Shelly Laurenston knows how to do it all, delivering tales that are wickedly funny, action-packed, and scorch-your-fingers sexy. With The Mane Event, she proves just how delicious love can be once you unleash your inner beast...

Christmas Pride

How come all the good-looking ones are insane?
That's what runs through NYPD

Published September 25th 2007 by Brava

To ask other readers questions about The Mane Event, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mane Event

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Roaring Stars

*Spoilers*

photo maine event_zps7ycef7tl.gif

The Mane Event is two stories in one so I will do two mini reviews, one for each story.

photo macedez_zpsq9c4qg0i.jpg

“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?” “She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.” “And you’re not concerned about that?” “There weren’t that many steps.”

Christmas Pride is Mace and Dez's story. Mace Llewellyn is a Lion Shifter and a Navy Seal. Desiree "Dez" MacDermot is human Cop. Mace and Dez were best friends wh
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Note to self: stop doing this to yourself. RIGHT. NOW.

Why did I read this book? Because:

a) I am a masochist
b) I am a complete idiot
c) My last two grey cells got fried while reading Mermen
d) I am an unredeemable twit
e) My synapses are on permanent strike
f) I have finally lost it
g) I love reading (view spoiler) Pieces of Crap (PoC™)
h) My dear friends use recommendations as a means of inflicting death by Crappy Book on me.
i) All of the above

Hint: the correct answer starts wit
XxTainaxX
Jun 06, 2016 XxTainaxX rated it really liked it
The first story was good but got a bit long winded in the internalization. Dez was a strong heroine but at times it came off bitchy. Mace was a sexy lion that was all about his Dez. Aside from those minor issues, I found the story fun, funny, and sensual. The plot was ok and the writing was witty and flowed well. The second story was better, though I would like to understand how they were going to figure out the whole breeding thing. Ronnie was hilarious. Shaw was determined and focused on his l ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm giving this book 3 stars but it is barely 3 stars. I wanted to like this book more than I actually did, I think. Many of my friends rave about this book and I love a good shifter story, but this one felt a little stale to me.

I think part of my issue is that I read a LOT of paranormals. I love a great paranormal romance. However, here I felt like the plot took a backseat to the sex and I wanted more... excitement, energy, something. I found this book to be a bit boring, which was disappointi
Jilly
This book has two stories in it and I only read the first one. It had its moments of funny, but there was nothing compelling about the world in general to keep me reading.

So, DNF at 50% because meh...

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
4 stars for Christmas Pride and a another four for Shaw's Tail !

This book?

HILARIOUS ! Will defiantly need a while to get over this read.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND for all PR fans who love their read,fun-fluffy with great secondary characters and a spoonfuls of melting hot animal sex ;)

Perfect read for the holidays right around the corner :)
Blacky *Romance Addict*

4 stars for first story
3 stars for second story

Settled on 4 overall because I loved the humor! Awesome!
Ren
I love Shelly Laurenston's book :)

Her first series "Magnus Pack" get me hooked to her books, and I decided to read her "Pride" series after I finish Magnus Pack.Even the world setting in Pride and Magnus Pack series are the same, no need to read Magnus Pack first :)

The Mane Event have 2 stories, Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. Here the story :

Christmas Pride

The story is about Mason "Mace" Llewellyn, who just end his military career at NAVY. He met his childhood friend, Desiree "Dez" MacDermot,
Ally
Mar 13, 2016 Ally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-3-paranormal
I am Laurenston Obsessed

Like Cartman playing Warcraft, I cannot stop.

cartman_warcraft

Seriously. Like this is now my super secret obsession and I know my friend who shares my audible account is watching me Whispersync these books and is thinking, that girl is CRAY. I am! Full on, get me on some meds, obsessed with this series.

Setting / Time / Genre: Current, NY

Length: 450 some pages

Series: Good lord, yes!

Sexy times: Fan yourselves. Although these are more funny sexy times than super seductive sexy times. Ther
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐ 3.5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Mariana
Oct 26, 2013 Mariana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I wish shifters existed. I really really want a were-lion for myself.

Mace & Dez
description

“Didn’t she know? “Yes” to dinner today. “Yes” to marriage tomorrow. Dammit, he had a schedule to keep.“

“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?”

“She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.”

Brendon & Ronnie
description

“Oh, look. The idiot of the jungle awakens.”

“Jealousy over some big, dumb bear flew out the window as he stared at Ronnie. “You…you were banned from No
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: March 2014
Buddy read with Jo

1st Read: November 2012
SL writes the best books that have humor! I swear she is amazing! I don.t even get annoyed by the swearing(as i usually am with other stories). This woman is a goddess!

Buddy read with Maru

quotes:
“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?”

“She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.”

“And you’re not concerned about that?”

“There weren’t that many steps.”
..........
“Brendon Shaw, you do not know
valee
Jun 20, 2010 valee rated it really liked it
Book 1
4 Stars

Wow, I still can't believe how good this book was, not paranormal romance but more erotica, but still I really liked it because the paranormal aspect was incredibly well developed. This story had an amazing plot and a great enemy, which I never realized who it was until the end. We get to know some amazing characters with great personalities, so be ready because once you read the first book you WILL need to read the rest.

In this story we get to read about Desiree MacDermot and Mace
♡Karlyn P♡
A sexy LOL kind of crazy PNR read with horny shape shifters and thin plots. But what a fun escape-from-reality book it was!
Sandra
Christmas Pride - 2.5 stars The reason I chose to read this was because I had just finished Go Fetch!, Book 2 in the Magnus Pack series that takes place in the same world, and I wanted to keep going but felt like mixing it up. Reading them back to back I noticed a trend in Ms. Laurenston's writing. The first third of the book is set up, character development, a lot of fun banter and sexual tension. Good stuff. The last two thirds (minus a chapter or two)... are sex. Sex on the bed. Sex on the st ...more
Madbabs
Apr 03, 2012 Madbabs rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
I know I see other people's reviews all the time saying they expected to like a book based on its reviews, then were horribly disappointed. But honestly, that hardly ever happens to me. I can usually get a pretty good idea before I pick a book up. But this one? Wow. I wasn't just thinking "oh maybe I'll check it out and see". I thought I'd really enjoy it. So very wrong. The writing is pure formula - including the supposedly hot sex. Internal dialog of the main characters are absurdly simple-min ...more
Vered
Apr 01, 2010 Vered rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, funny-pnr, epnr
3 good stars, not the I don’t know how to rate it 3 stars. Because it was a fun book. Funny, sexy fluff with lots and lots of fun sex and lovable characters. Books of this genre are in danger of trying too much. Consequently lose the genuineness that is so important in order to enjoy the book without it giving you heartburn. To me, Shelly Laurenston found the right amount and I was left feeling quite delighted.

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
BD with Aly is so frigging bored

This book is actually the first two stories in the Pride series.

Christmas Pride... 3,5 stars

Mason "Mace" Llewellyn, a former Navy Seal and a lion shifter, is determined to win Desiree "Dez" MacDermot, a former Marine and a New York police officer, now that he is back to New York and he isn't prepared to take no for an answer.

Shaw's Tail... 5 stars

Brendon Shaw, rich lion shifter, takes one look on Rhonda Lee "Ronnie" Reed, wolf shifter from backwoods Tenessee and h
Shannon C.
Feb 13, 2010 Shannon C. rated it really liked it
I'm just now rereading the Laurenston books and had forgotten how fantastic this series is. This book is two novellas in one book, and it's very good. I haven't stopped laughing--especially during the second story (Brendon & Ronnie). The first book in Pride Stories, I like this series better than her earlier Magnus Pack books--mainly because I like the female leads better. Laurenston does a great job depicting shapeshifter life and pack structures, as well as with character development. Her ...more
Nadia
This may be the most vulgar review I've ever written.

Sometimes I can be very slow in catching up with things. In Bosnian we have an expression for people like that: water heater. Cuz you know, it takes a while for the water to heats.
Anyway, I read the blurb for The Mane Event, I got the book, I started reading it, all the while thinking it's only one book, about Mace and Dez. And then somewhere around the middle, all of a sudden, there's again Chapter 1 , new characters and I'm like wtf happe
Deea (Andreea)
May 05, 2015 Deea (Andreea) rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-audiobooks
Hmm... How do I rate this?

4 stars for the first story. It was refreshing, hot and so much fun! Probably one of the best, funniest banter between hero and heroine, ever! I LOL-ed and highlighted like crazy. :D

With the second story tho, I started losing interest. :( So maybe 3 stars. Still fun, still hot, but I wanted more from these characters. It lacked substance, connection, plot... Like I said before, I tend to want more in my books.

All that being said, this is a quick pleasure read. All bant
Anita
How did I not realize that this author is FANTASTIC?! I'm on the PNR discussion group all the time - why doesn't anyone rave about Shelly Laurenston? If you love paranormal romance, this one should be moved to the top of your to-read pile. The writing is funny and sexy, the stories interesting, and the characters so well written, you will fall in love with them and want to be their friends. I can't believe how many times I laughed out loud reading this book - and yet the sex scenes were still sc ...more
Marta
This was rough to get through. It seemed like the whole book was one sex scene after the other. Now I'm good for the down and dirty, but at least have it meaningful between characters. The only saving grace was the humor. The author is pretty witty. Mace, Shaw and even Dez were enjoyable. I wish I could say the same for Sissy Mae and Ronnie Lee, who grated on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

I hear her Dragon Kin series is much better. I'll give it a shot soon.
Annette  Dahl "Old Vicarious Reader"
Sep 14, 2015 Annette Dahl "Old Vicarious Reader" rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon
Funny Read... I'm not sure how I came across this book, and I'm very glad I did the audio with it. I don't think I would have liked it as much as I did if I hadn't. The narrator did an excellent job with the southern accents, and put lots of sounds behind the words. It was well written, and the humor took over any seriousness that might have been meant in the story. I can say finally say I understand the meaning of Stupid Funny.... Good Read!
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
All time favorite comfort read series.
Sarah (onecurvyblogger)
5 Stars

The Pride series is a series I often go back to when I don't want to read review books, or I'm just in a slump. Laurenston's books are funny and sexy, and always get me in the mood... for reading, of course. ;) The Mane Event features the first two books (or rather, novellas) in the series, and introduces us to the main characters that the series will be featuring.

Christmas Pride - five stars

I admit it took me a few months to strum up the courage to buy this book. I wasn't the hugest fan

Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review
Summary
In The Mane Event we have two stories: Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. Both are delicious stories. In Christmas Pride it begins with Dez McDermott, a NYPD cop, meets up with a old childhood friend when she investigates a murder. Mace Llewellyn, fell in love with Dez when they were fourteen years old, but then she and her family left for the big city and he never saw her until now. Mace is determined to not let Dez go again. He
Steph
Shelly Laurenston's writing cracks me up! I laughed my way through her Pack series and, after reading Here Kitty, Kitty! I couldn't wait to start her Pride series. Book 1 did not disappoint. In fact, it was smarter and better written.

The Mane Event gives us two stories. Christmas Pride introduces us to BFFs who are reunited after twenty years. Mace Llewellyn is a Pride male returning home from the Navy. He's got a mission ... "He needed to find a woman. Not any woman, but the woman who had ha
Shelby
This book is actually split up into two stories Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. I enjoyed them both and was pleasantly surprised by this book. I'd been avoiding it for awhile, for no real reason, but it wasn't anything at all like I expected. This definitely falls into the erotica side of the paranormal romance, but it was still very entertaining and the variations on a shifter world were fun.

Christmas Pride ★★★★

Talk about one determined lion, Mace Llewellyn is not going to Desiree "Dez" MacD
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4.25 Stars

Why I Read It...

Mostly I read this because it fit the October theme of "Paranormal or Romantic Suspense" for the 2016 TBR Challenge hosted by Wendy the Super Librarian. I bought The Mane Event when it went on sale in early 2014. I had heard great things about the Pride series and wanted to give it a try. Then I became more motivated to read it when I read (and fell in love with) Laurenston's Call of Crows series.

What I Liked About It...

1. I liked the fact that it was two stories in one
Laurenston 26 101 Oct 27, 2014 12:29PM
Who's Your Author?: April BOM: The Mane Event 11 35 Apr 07, 2014 06:31PM
Shelly Laurenston's Pride Series 26 193 Nov 05, 2013 10:28AM
What't real and what not 1 32 Oct 31, 2013 08:59PM
  • What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3)
  • Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)
  • Jealous And Freakn' (Freakn' Shifters, #2)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (includes: The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)
  • Enforcer (Cascadia Wolves, #1)
  • Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
  • Wolf Games (Granite Lake Wolves, #3)
  • Arctic Winds (Alpine Woods Shifters, #1)
  • The Taming of the Wolf (Westfield Wolves, #4)
  • Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5)
Originally from Long Island, New York, Shelly Laurenston has resigned herself to West Coast living which involves healthy food, mostly sunny days, and lots of guys not wearing shirts when they really should be. Shelly Laurenston is also The New York Times Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, creator of the Dragon Kin series. For more info on G.A. Aiken's dangerously and arrogantly sexy dragons, check ou ...more
More about Shelly Laurenston...

Pride (9 books)
  • The Beast in Him (Pride, #2)
  • The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3)
  • The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)
  • Bear Meets Girl (Pride, #7)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Bite Me (Pride, #9)

“You admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof. Did you learn nothing in Boot Camp?"
(Mace to Smitty)”
139 likes
“I'd rather have rabies than be in love."
"Why?"
"Because at least you can get over rabies with some shots.”
75 likes