Start by marking “Charles Kuralt's American Moments” as Want to Read:
Charles Kuralt's American Moments

Charles Kuralt's American Moments

"Time" magazine once hailed Charles Kuralt as "the laureate of the common man." and in this final collection. Kuralt once again portrays the people, the places, and the things that define our nation. Culled from his final project, a series of brief television essays in the spirit of his famous "On the Road" reports, "Charles Kuralt's American Moments" introduces a host of ...more
Published November 12th 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Kuralt's American Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charles Kuralt's American Moments

Annie
Jun 01, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, quick read. It was a trip through America, and a trip back in time. I enjoyed reading every little vignette. Gives you a different perspective on American life that was at one time and, amazingly, actually still is. I can still hear his voice, and that is the way to read this book, with Charles Kuralt narrating the words for you.
Jason
Apr 09, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: See review
Recommended to Jason by: Found it at home, I wonder where it came from?
Shelves: 2015
Wow. Charles Kuralt has been dead for 18 years as of this writing. I remember enjoying him on CBS News Sunday Morning which I considered a respectable show even if it didn't give you the heaviest hitting news. In fact it was because it didn't give into sensationalism that I considered it respectable. This book has the same tone as portions of that show.

I always enjoyed Kuralt's style of speaking and it works just fine when written. I kept hearing Charles Osgood's voice as I read the book, but th
Maurean
Jun 07, 2008 Maurean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
As I said, “Charles Kuralt’s American Moments” is a collection of his stories of America, given in what were to be ninety-second long broadcast’s; a brief but lasting impression of his views on the American spirit and the people who create it. From the Cape of Disappointment in Washington State, to the deer of the lower Keys of Florida; from Mr. Ralph Woodside, who repairs victrolas in his Georgetown, Mass. workshop, to Naomi Lewis, the postmaster in Ochopee, FL., the smallest post office in the ...more
Chandler
Aug 10, 2011 Chandler rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming tales of the American spirit through roads less traveled. Kuralt was a one of a kind American treasure that will never be replicated. No one else could describe the odd, unique, or just plain mundane quite like Kuralt. This reads like a good travel guide to see the America that AAA or any other guidebook will not point you to.
Judy
Sep 14, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a compilation of Charles Kuralt's ninety second TV anecdotes that he presented over the years. They are pure Americana telling about people, places and things that truly reflect the lifeblood of our nation. The book is a quick, light read.
Terry
Vignettes about places, people, and things that struck Kuralt's fancy and represent what is good about America. This are such sketchy vignettes that they don't really add much to our knowledge of America life.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 19, 2012 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Little essays on America that are almost short poems.
Todd Ryan
I loved Charles Kuralt, but this book was disappointing. It was basically the text for the 30 second segments they used to air. Impossible to get interested or learn anything from the stories.
Michael  Skoien
May 03, 2016 Michael Skoien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
American icon who finds the "real" America and its people and places..
John
Nov 30, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites.
Cathyz
May 03, 2011 Cathyz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
been a while since I've read this book, but I remember how much I enjoyed it. good stories about real people who make America what it is.
Brandon
Feb 20, 2009 Brandon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about slap-dash! This is basically just the transcipts of a handful of TV segments he did.
Joseph Burt
Good read, I liked the brevity of the articles but enjoyed the scope of the work.
Tom
Feb 12, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Kuralt relates tales of the American people as only a great storyteller can
Philip
Feb 04, 2014 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never viewed the authors tv travel shows....The places visited in the book were short but wetted the appetite enough to be romanticized enough to visit or read more about.
Eva Balga
Eva Balga rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2009
Art
Art rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2009
Vickie Chandler
Vickie Chandler rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2009
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
John Cali
John Cali rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2009
Ruth Tucker
Ruth Tucker rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Kgeorgoussigmail.Com
Kgeorgoussigmail.Com rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2017
Mark Roberts
Mark Roberts rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2009
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Teresa Mack
Teresa Mack rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2017
Jason George
Jason George rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
Beatrice Drury
Beatrice Drury rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charles Kuralt was an award-winning American journalist. He was most widely known for his long career with CBS, first for his "On the Road" segments on The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite, and later as the first anchor of CBS News Sunday Morning, a position he held for fifteen years.

Kuralt's "On the Road" segments were recognized twice with personal Peabody Awards. The first, awarded in 1968
More about Charles Kuralt...