Start by marking “Last Lonely Saturday” as Want to Read:
Last Lonely Saturday

Last Lonely Saturday

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A heartbreaking novella from the author of The Clouds Above.

From the editor of the acclaimed comics anthology NON comes this beautiful, emotive "Picto-Novella." Largely wordless and cunningly rendered, this little book is sure to touch most folks. In The Last Lonely Saturday, an older man sits at his kitchen table, filled with melancholy. Dishes are piled up in the sink, a
Published September 27th 2006 by Fantagraphics Books (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Last Lonely Saturday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Lonely Saturday

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
476th out of 738 books — 1,188 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Awesome books
140th out of 417 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan
Dec 26, 2008 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, comics
This graphic novel is so short, I can't really even talk about it without giving half the plot away. If Pixar ever wanted to make a truly grown-up short film, they could do worse than adapt this, especially since there is little-to-no dialogue. It would be a bit of a downer to play before a film, though.
Alex Sarll
Heartbreaking yet lovely in a way which reminded me of Up, and free to read online: http://whatthingsdo.com/comic/the-las...
Emilia P
You can do better!
This was an old man loves his dead wife kind of story. I dunno -- I was gonna say "have you seen UP?" but this came out before Up so, oops. It's just like ....this story gets told over and over again, and this book didn't really bring any special twist to it, and also it was not particularly artistically interesting or complex for Crane (he does lots of great, way more emotional and fanciful stuff!) so, eh. It's fine, but he's done much better.
katie
I saved this book from the "Return to Publisher" pile at the World Eye, where it had been sitting for a year without selling. My heroic acts aside, I enjoyed this book (again, about death) because of its simple, well executed design, and surprisingly articulate storyline.
Sarah Keliher
Jan 22, 2009 Sarah Keliher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people whose hearts are not actually made of stone
Shelves: read2007, graphica
It's a testament to the simple sweetness and heartbreaking sadness of this book that I can't even look at the cover without starting to cry. Someone put it on display in the bookstore, and it actually hurts me to walk past it. That's a good read.
Ashley
Jan 02, 2011 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who cried while watching "Up"
Any graphic novel that can make me cry gets at least 4 stars. Add to the incredibly touching story line adorable art and letters, well... that's basically made for me. This very short graphic novel is touching, cute, and memorable.
Leif Erik
No words except for the letters and sound effects. A great love story & the kind of thing you give on Valentine's Day if you're at once a hipster and a sap. And you have a valentine.
Hester
Some may find this gruesome, but I find it the sweetest, saddest, loneliest book and it always makes my eyes sting. While it would be rated G, it is definitely a book for adults.
Mary
Jul 15, 2007 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: finito
Jordan Crane autographed my copy of this book (mine's the softcover version) and drew a little flower next to my name. Swoon.
Brian
This book is a great example of how some ideas can be best conveyed without words. Kind of like Owly for grown-ups.
Michael Seidel
About as ruthless and well-detailed as any nearly wordless story could hope to be.
Lesley
This is so beautiful and sad, it made me cry and affected my mood for hours afterwards.
Jenne
Agh, oh my god. So many conflicting feelings about such a tiny story.
Twan
Mar 17, 2013 Twan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Teeny and sad but a little bit sweet.

Like my genitals.

Austin Hartman
cute, beautiful, and heartbreaking. HEARTBREAKING.
Mr. Lopez 7a
This book is short and sad. That is all.
Miki
Aug 27, 2007 Miki rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: comics
Excellent storytelling without use of many words.
Rose
So sweet and sad. I cried on the train.
Brent Legault
Word less (almost), wonder full (always).
Nux
Beautiful, heartfelt. But a bit spooky.
Summer
Adorable, sweet, and heartbreaking.
Lo
Aug 23, 2007 Lo rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who need to come down
Verges on icky-maudlin
Oct 07, 2014
  • Dogs and Water
  • Ojingogo
  • Perfect Example
  • Billy Hazelnuts (Billy Hazelnuts, #1)
  • A Mess of Everything
  • Cinema Panopticum
  • What I Did.
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • Four Color Fear: Forgotten Horror Comics of the 1950s
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Ethel and Ernest