Start by marking “Page (Protector of the Small, #2)” as Want to Read:
Page (Protector of the Small, #2)

Page (Protector of the Small #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  35,188 Ratings  ·  555 Reviews
As the only female page in history to last beyond the first year of formal training to become a knight, 11-year-old Keladry of Mindelan has an uphill battle to fight. In addition to proving herself worthy of being a page, Kel spends her time defending first-year pages from bullies, staying on top of homework, conquering her paralyzing fear of heights, and keeping up with L ...more
Published December 14th 2001 by Scholastic (first published May 23rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Page

Emma Larkins
Sep 06, 2008 Emma Larkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Everyone should read Tamora Pierce. Not just fantasy readers, not just young readers, but anyone who enjoys a good tale. And who doesn't? If you've read Tamora Pierce, then you already know what I mean.

Tamora never tries to win an award for the most confuscated use of the English language. She never lets language get in the way of her story. She writes her books in a simple, honest way to hook her readers into a fascinating tale. And she succeeds brilliantly in doing so.

In Page, Tamora Pierce ge
Beth
Nov 11, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to take a moment to point out that Kel, at eleven, is five foot three - in other words, taller than I'll ever be. Anyway:
No stranger, looking at her, would have thought this disheveled girl was the sort to cause a storm of argument at court.
This is interesting, because Kel is sheltered from this stuff, at least through this book. Pierce drops this in, but doesn't go anywhere with it yet.

This book starts off with two projects for Kel, and on this reread, I thought that was - convenient. V
Kogiopsis
Here is another book that I love too much to really review, and since I'm trying to save all my reminiscing about how important this series has been to me for the third book, I'm going to keep this short, with just a few of the things I loved about this entry:

- Kel's friends, and particularly Neal. From page 13 of the trade paperback: "Neal had taught Kel to know the palace the year before, assisting her with classwork and cheering her worst moods with his tart humor. In return she tried to keep
Kayla Edwards
Oh these books, every time I read them it's like visiting a best friend. I adore Kel today as much as I did when these books were first published; I will forever be grateful to Tamora Pierce for creating this fantastic heroine because "bless [her], [she is] real." Kel doesn't have the Gift or any wild magic to help her. She gets everything only through grimy, hard work and persistence just like the rest of us and I admire her so much for it. I reread these books ALL THE TIME because I need that. ...more
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
Jan 21, 2017 Rachael (RedRchlReads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
4 Stars!

Page picks up in the summer immediately after First Test. It moves a lot faster and covers the second and third years of Keladry's time as a Page. It continues with many of the same themes as the first book, but expands to touch on subjects outside of focusing solely the Pages' training.

Becoming a woman and being a woman in a man's world are issues not shied away from. I love how Keladry still insists on wearing her dresses to dinner so that the boys do not forget that a girl can do eve
Sophie
WHYYY isn't "Squire" waiting at the library for me yet? MUST READ NOW.

I continue to love this series. This one was the Puberty Book, in which Keladry grows breasts, gets her period, and starts attracting male attention. She's kind of oblivious to it, though, which is amusing. I hope she and Neal get to make out at some point.

Anyway, Kel gets a dog and a maid on the same day. The maid is Lalasa, a timid woman who slowly learns how to defend herself thanks to Kel's persistent teachings. The femini
Paranormal_Madness
What I liked:
-Keladry. She grows on me with each book I read. She’s just such a normal girl trying so hard to prove to everyone that she can be as good as any boy, and she’ll stop at nothing until everyone sees it. She trains harder and longer than the others, and it really shows how dedicated she is to the life of a hero. And in this book, Kel shows that she really thinks those below her should be treated with respect.
-Lalasa. She begins the book as a timid little mouse, and she slowly begins t
Rachel E. Carter
Mar 28, 2014 Rachel E. Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Buddy reread with Monica 1/23/15-1/24/15

5 Perfect Stars Again!!!

Even more amazing follow up to the first in series. I've already fangirl'd really hard so if if you are interest in this series this is the review to read: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... I don't have the heart to do another GIF/quote-ladden review so just trust me, if you loved the first Kel book the second only gets better.

Dichotomy Girl
3rd Read: 12/16/2016
2nd Read: 7/21/2015
Original Read: 11/13/2012
Nicole
Jun 23, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This one was even better! She has more friends, the challenges are different, she makes a female friend, she starts experiencing all kinds of ~lady~ things. Seriously, I love this series. I love that Kel's goal is to be a knight that defends the weak/small - she doesn't even just defend, she *teaches* others how to defend themselves. So good. Would recommend to all!
Jackie B. Forman
From the beginning, Pierce continues to show how different the experiences of Alanna and Kel are. While Kel matures she does reflect a few of Alanna's more obvious traits-- such as willing herself not to be a woman (but at least when Kel begins her "monthlies" she already knows all about them, unlike Alanna who thought she was dying) and being incredibly stubborn and headstrong. However, Kel is still obviously developing into her own woman. Constantly being presented with ethical dilemnas, we ge ...more
Vaidah
Jan 03, 2017 Vaidah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My love for Neal grows and grows. Kel's a bit annoying at times, but then I have to keep reminding myself of her age.
Anna
Jan 28, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tortall-series
‘Page’ is a worthy follow-up to First Test. The characters make it shine, and while Kel is a wonderful hero, it’s the cast of secondary characters I’m especially fond of. I simply adore Neal, who is funny and quirky and just awesome. I love amiable and humorous Cleon and the way he uses flowery figures in his speech while talking with Kel. And I like Jump, the dog who is as much courageous and loyal as he is ugly. Most of all I love Lalasa. She isn't a warrior; she is shy, meek and soft-spoken m ...more
Vickie
Dec 07, 2011 Vickie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

In Page, Kelladry has passed her first year in probation and still has to complete 3 more years of page training to become a squire. She still has her friends, Jump the dog, and Crown and her flock of sparrows, along with Neal, Cleon, Roald and the rest. She has gained a new maid, Lalassa, who is a country girl new to the city. She also has to contend with the conservative squires, who wish her to leave.

I like how K
Monica
1/25/15 buddy re-read with Rachel

All of the stars. Perfection in all ways. Complex, lovable characters; detailed, believable world-building; suspenseful action scenes and climax; hilarious writing inducing real, actual LOLing; kickassiest kickass themes of kickassery.

The only thing - and it's a tiny, stupid thing - is that Kel is still too mature for her age at the beginning. In particular, her crush. She's eleven/twelve, she hasn't been socialized for this type of behavior, and it does not seem
Connor
Jun 28, 2014 Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015, 2016, re-read
Page and Squire, the next book in this series, are my two favorite books in the Tortall universe. This one because, once again, of Kel and her solidarity--her friendship with Neal, her new friend Owen, the gentleness and consideration she shows her new maid.

And yes, the anonymous gift at the end still makes me cry.

(update, Nov. 2016: this is the second time I've read this book this year and it remains one of the best books I've ever had the delight to re-read.)
Kristen
Jan 31, 2017 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
THIS SERIES CONTINUES TO BLOW ME OUT OF
THE WATER.
Kathy Davie
Apr 24, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Protector of the Small fantasy series for children revolving around Kel of Mindelan, only the second girl to want to become a knight of Tortall.

My Take
We get all the rest of the years Kel spends as a page in this one story. She matures and has all the complications which that entails including coping with falling in love with Neal and some of her school friends starting to see her in a more romantic vein.

Kel continues to set the moral tone with support from her friends. Well, those
Stephanie Jobe
May 02, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kel’s three years as a page fly by in this volume. Where previous heroines did much with natural ability Kel’s success comes more from her determination. Kel is not the only one whose growth you watch, of course there are her fellow pages, but some of the most powerful changes are in the two friends introduced at the opening of the book, Lalasa and Jump. Kel makes her way over hurdles as a page, a young woman and as someone afraid of heights. In many books this kind of time passage would make me ...more
Kathleen
I continue to love how hard Kel has to work to earn her place and prove that she is as good as any boy. In her drive to protect those that need it, she acquires a maid and a dog. The maid gets self defense lessons while the dog proves to be quite able to defend Kel. It is all to the good. I also really like that Kel's weakness is a very realistic fear of heights. The precipitating incident with her brother also explains her dislike of bullies, all of which comes to a head in this book. I enjoyed ...more
Wealhtheow
Aug 09, 2012 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Kel continues training to be a knight. She faces sexism from her fellow nobles and danger from the kingdom's enemies.

Kel goes through puberty (at 12, which seems early for her time period) and immediately starts being interesting to boys--and gets interested right back. I wish we'd gotten more of her training, which is the most interesting part of these books to me. I also wish Kel was a little less perfect.
Lyle
Nov 16, 2015 Lyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE FEELINGS CONTINUE.

Also, cough, I totally had a crush on Neal when I was younger. Possibly I still do. But also, I know Kel really wants him to reciprocate her feelings, but oh man, that would have been skeevy as hell! He's like 17 to her 12 here! (I also spent a lot of this book going 'you're very young to have all these...stirrings, aren't you, Kel?' and I don't know whether that's on purpose, or whether that *is* normal and I'm the weird one? Who knows.)
adrienne
Jun 21, 2016 adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times, Kel can almost be too good (if that's even a thing), almost too perfect, but (view spoiler)--that made her real. I love her.
Melinda
Oct 05, 2015 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really, really good. The main character shows a lot of persistence in hard things, a quality I need reminded of right now. I want to read the other books in this series.
Anne
Aug 03, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I'm so glad I have Kat to text while reading the end of this book. "I'm.... Crying???? About FRIENDSHIP?"
Rhea Loire
May 03, 2015 Rhea Loire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
see my review here
sylas
Jul 23, 2012 sylas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya

I adore this series. Keladry is one of my favorite characters in the history of ya novels!
Sarah S
Sep 08, 2016 Sarah S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, ya, fantasy
Ugh jeez my fear of heights
June
Sep 28, 2007 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults and fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this series more than the Alanna books. They seemed to have a bit more meat to them.
  • Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
  • Half-Human
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Protector of the Small (4 books)
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)

“I suppose he could have changed," Neal said dryly. "I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil." The other pages snorted.

Kel eyed her friend. "You do look yellow around the edges," she told him, her face quite serious. "I hadn’t wanted to bring it up."

"We daffodils like to have things brought up," Neal said, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "It reminds us of spring.”
485 likes
“A friend had commented once that Neal had a gift for making someone want to punch him just for saying hello.” 384 likes