Start by marking “Bridesmaids” as Want to Read:
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,075 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Four weddings, three disgruntled ex-boyfriends in the congregation, two wayward 'chicken-fillet' boob enhancers, and one gorgeous man, it's tough being a bridesmaid.
Published May 1st 2008 by Pocket Books (first published March 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bridesmaids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridesmaids

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Have You Read This Chick-lit?
101st out of 678 books — 672 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaI've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
British Chick Lit
29th out of 247 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

Tea Jovanović
Perfect debut chick-lit title... Read it while still in manuscript and fell in love with Jane's writing... Funny, amusing, you'll enjoy it... Two titles so far translated into Serbian... Author will have tom change publisher... will keep you informed...
Vasya
I hate these books, I really really do. This type of chick lit really gets on my nerves (with only one exception, and that would be Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic Series) and I hate it that I have a weak spot for somewhat pretty covers.

They are like historical romances, that I like very much, but they happen in the real world. In the modern world. And I cannot, for the sake of my brain functioning properly, really get into these types of romances because they give me ideas. Ideas that are definite
Suad Shamma
I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record when it comes to reviewing Jane Costello's books, but I can't help it, because - to borrow an English phrase - they're just SO BLOODY GOOD!

I love ALL the characters in her books. Like ALL of them. Yes, there's always a bad guy and a good guy - and by guy I refer here to possible male and/or female characters - but even those, you tend to love - in a love/hate sort of way.

Who couldn't love Valentina, who is self-obsessed, and hilariously char
Lucy
There is one thing I should stop doing now. I really shouldn’t limit what I read due to stupid connotations of genres of books.

My mind works like this: YES! Read classics, book prize winners, books that get nominated for the Nobel Prize! If you read these books you shall become a smarter person. People will listen to you more in conversations because you’ve read ‘those books’, and you’ll be an intellectual. You will, trust me.
NO! Don’t read chick-lit, thrillers, romps. You should be exercising
Littlebookworm
Evie Hart has a busy year ahead of her, acting as bridesmaid at no less than 4 weddings. For herself, she is somewhat of a commitment-phobe, with a long line of ex-boyfriends who sooner or later have for some reason or other started to grate on her nerves. However, then she meets Jack at her friend's wedding and there seems to be an instant spark of chemistry between them. Has Evie finally found the man of her dreams, who she can settle down with? It's a long and bumpy road to find out, with lau ...more
JiEun
So after looking for this book everywhere, I finally found a copy only to be disappointed by a mediocre book. Part of my disappointment is my own fault. I find a book that I like, read more by the same author, and figure out that I'm reading variations of the same book.

Standalone review. The main character is Evie. Evie is your typical chick lit heroine--stuck in a rut of a job, completely moronic, attractive enough that she manages to pull in all the guys, probably a little on the dumpy side in
Leah
Evie Hart is worried she’ll always be the bridesmaid and never the bride, particularly since within a space of a few months she’ll be attending no less than four weddings all as a bridesmaid. However during the first of those weddings, Evie meets Jack Williamson… by meet I mean her chicken fillets pop out of her dress but hey, it’s one way of making an impression. As Evie and Jack keep meeting at weddings it becomes apparant they both have feelings for the other but disaster keeps striking. Will ...more
Chanpreet
Boy was this book funny. The 1/2 to 2/3 was hilarious. The serious emotional stuff and drama didn't come until close to the end.

Evie is a journalist, who at 27, has never been in love. She's the bridesmaid at three weddings this year and she's not really sure she can handle the duty. Evie's single and been the one to breakup with all over boyfriends. She meets handsome, charming Jack at a wedding and is extremely disappointed to find out he's dating a friend. She continually runs into him, maki
Gerry
My wife ribbed me about reading this book because she classified it as 'chick lit'. It probably is but so what? I will read most everything - so long as it's in English!

The story is about Evie and her friends from Uni who are now being bridesmaids at friends and relatives weddings. We follow Evie, who has had no serious boyfriends and has always broken off relationships for trivial offences, as she goes through this eventful year.

While this book was never going to make the Booker long list it st
Aivlis
Me gusta mucho el género chick-lit, pero esta novela se me atascó y no, no pude terminarla, así que ahí se quedó la cosa.
Anne Brooke
This novel had a lot of potential but very meagre delivery, sadly. Its strap line is "Four Weddings without the Funeral" but actually having a funeral might have been a good idea - as it would have inserted some much-needed gravitas into the general veneer of fluff.

I think one of the main problems is I really didn't like the heroine, Evie, who's obsessed with appearances, not terribly bright and acts like a 12-year old most of the time. She's supposed to be 27.

The big motif of the book and the t
Lainy
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 419

Blurb from Goodreads

My Review

This is a great chick lit book. Evie is one hour away from walking down the isle in front of her best friend, Grace, who is getting married. It's stressful, things are going wrong however, her chicken fillets are in place and she spots a hot specimen whilst on an erra
Arijana
Prva knjiga pročitana s e readera.. htjela sam nešto lagano za navikavanje na njega i tako je i bilo.. tipični chic lit.. solidno, humoristično ali svejedno ništa posebno
Aisha Reads Books
As mentioned before I have read this book before but reading The Time of Our Lives made me super nostalgic for Costello's first book, but my second Costello book and I love it so much. I forgot some of the plot and it had me fighting laughter on the train.
Jane Costello has literally never failed to make me laugh.
As the blurb says, the book follows Evie through three weddings as a bridesmaid. Her best friend, her close friend and her mother, respectively. Jack manages to be a guest at all three w
Simona
Evie is a charismatic character, who’s not really the relationship type. She goes from wedding to wedding and on the first wedding she finally meets THE man.

Well, it’s not that easy though. There are a lot of misunderstandings, drama and funny moments in between.

I really enjoyed reading this novel, although I have to say compared to the other Jane Costello books I’ve read, I was a little disappointed.
The story seemed interesting, but it took me quiet a while to get into it.

There was a moment whe
Ainhoa
No le doy una estrella porque las primeras cincuenta páginas me divirtieron muchísimo.

Pero las cincuenta siguientes me parecieron llevar demasiado lejos las situaciones absurdas. El resto me pareció cogido con pinzas, demasiado predecible incluso sabiendo que en este género el destino final de los protagonistas siempre es el mismo. Me recordó demasiado a Bridget Jones, esas escenas ridículas que se repiten hasta la saciedad pero sin la brillantez de Helen Fielding. Empecé con muchísimas ganas p
Christinnatalia
I never thought that I would fall for such a too sweet romance, but I slept way past my bed time last night because I just couldn't put it down before I finished it.

The plot is so predictable. It offers the common formula of a love story found in many romantic novels (which are usually labeled as 'chick lit') but the narration is easy to follow that I just let my self flow with it.

The flaws that I found in the novel are the unrealistic characters and the ending. I think Costello intends for the
Laura Flanagan (Oscuro y Seductor Romance)
3,5 de 5 puntos

Quise leer este libro desde que ediciones Versátil lo sacó porque el tema de las bodas en historias románticas da para mucho y variado. Risas aseguradas. Nos encontramos con malentendidos, enredos y toda clase de escenas surrealistas que le pueden pasar a cualquiera pero que nunca pensarías que podrían pasarte a ti.
El argumento, como todos los chick-lit, nos trae una trama un tanto surrealista. La protagonista, Evie Hart, es incapaz de tener novio, ó al menos, uno a largo plazo. N
Ananda
This is surely one of the best chick lit books I've read this year. Imagine watching your favorite rom com, best friends over, ice cream and popcorn included - well this book is BETTER. Hell, imagine a date with Ryan Gosling (yeah, I see you drooling already). Well you know what? THIS BOOK is better than that!

Never ever would I tell this is a debut, it's brilliant from every possible aspect.
The story is amazing and keeps your interest till the very last page. It follows Evie Hart, a 27 year old
Felita Hardigaloeh
bagi pembaca romance yg nyari kisah kontemporer romance yg banyak bumbu humor, pastikan anda membaca buku ini.

pertemuan pertama Evie dan Jack terjadi ketika evie heboh membantu persiapan pernikahan teman dekatnya. pertama kali evie meliat jack, kesan yg didapat a/cowok tampan yg kurang ajar, gara2 jack termangu meliat dada evie.evie ga tau kalo saat itu, bantalan payudara yg dia kenakan u/ menambah ukuran dadanya yg rata menyembul mencolok dari gaunnya !!!!!

interaksi mereka berikutnya, jg diwarn
Lona Yulianni
Evie Hart merasa bahwa ia mempunyai masalah untuk berkomitmen dengan seorang pria. Ia selalu merasa tidak siap untuk menikah. Jadi, hingga umurnya yang ke 27 tahun ia belum menemukan pria yang tepat... atau ia belum bisa meyakinkan dirinya untuk berkomitmen. Ketika ia menjadi pengiring pengantin untuk sahabatnya, Grace, ia bertemu dengan lelaki yang sangat menarik perhatiannya. Namun, saat itu pria tersebut datang bersama Valentina, sahabatnya yang cantiknya melebihi Angelina Jolie. Namun kali i ...more
Lara
La damigella d’onore fa parte del genere Chick Lit (letteratura per pollastrelle) ed è rivolto ad un pubblico femminile dai venticinque anni in su, single, che crede ancora nell’amore e spera nel lieto fine. La protagonista Evie ha ventisette anni e si trova a dover affrontare l’ardua prova di partecipare come damigella a ben quattro matrimoni, di cui uno della propria madre. Potrà sopravvivere? Tra un ricevimento e l’altro, le prove degli abiti, un addio al nubilato con sorpresa fosforescente e ...more
Caitlin
Whilst the title suggests that this book is all about weddings, for me it was really about friendship. The four main girls, Evie, Grace, Georgia and Valentina who are all brides/bridesmaids at various weddings and it;s interesting to see the dynamics that naturally occur within a friendship group.

I liked this book. This book tells how two people, Evie and Jack who constantly meet at different weddings. Although they have found that "click" moment at their first meeting but there are some situati
Dalimar
Que libro mas cómico.Adoro las escritoras inglesas.No se me nació ese romance justo en el tiempo de leer El Diario de Bridget Jones de Helen Fielding.Jajaja es que los ingleses son tan tiernos y a su vez tan cómicos.Para muestra una frase de este libro: " El mero hecho de ser británicos hace que atribuyamos a una simple taza de te una serie de propiedades curativas que ni siquiera erigirías a un psiquiatra de la calle Harley.
No importa la desgracia que pueda acaecernos,ni la muerte o el desastre
Agi
Jun 30, 2011 Agi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Ha, my kinda book:))
Funny, clever, witty.
I like short chapters but those were sometimes too short:) One chapter consisted of only one sentence! Wow. At the beginning those short chapters were the reason that I couldn't get into this book, but I get used to this style of writing very soon and everything was okay then.
Brilliant dialogues, fast action, a real page - turner. I have liked everything here: the characters were optimally drawn, the descriptions, the ideas... I think I would gone bananas
Rhiannon
Ahh exactly the kind of easy read I was looking for! :)

I had never heard of Jane Costello, but after wanting to read something light and easy and finding this at Chapters, I thought I'd give it a go, and I wasn't disappointed!

The Sophie Kinsella books were the first ones I latched on to, and I found that Jane Costello's writing is VERY similar which I loved!

In Bridesmaids, it's the story of a woman in her late 20's unable to commit. She's never been in love, although has had many boyfriends. Mo
Gemma
This was laugh out loud funny - my students gave me funny looks during silent reading time when the giggles erupted. It was fairly quick and easy to read - a good comfort-book. In fact, rather than go directly into my house when I arrived home, I sat in the car to finish reading it because I couldn't wait to keep reading. It has characters we can all relate to, whether we want to admit it or not, and characters who we've all met before in one place or another in our lives. The structure was mana ...more
Ifigenia
Me ha costado empezar (me cuesta con todos los libros), pero una vez que he avanzado, no lo he podido dejar, al igual que no he podido parar de reírme.

Valentina se ha convertido de lejos en mi favorita de todos los personajes, es la que más juego da en la historia y la que más me ha hecho reír, creo que si la conociese, también me caería bien, tiene ese toque canalla que la hace parecer entretenida y ese toque de bondad de vez en cuando que le hace parecer interesante, original al 100%; una chi
Mirella Grace
I love this book!!! Ceritanya bsgus dan lucu. Seneng sama karakternya Evie dan Jack. Even yang tadinya aku sebel ngeliat tingkahnya Valentina, tapi toh she changed because of love.

Oh iya, baca buku ini asyik. banyak tau tentang kota Liverpool. Jadi penasaran, pengen baca novel yang bersetting kota Manchester, haha. Secara daku buta tu kota, kecuali tim MUFC nya doang...

Tentang Charlotte... Yaaah, emang susah kalo jatuh cinta. Semua nalar, logika dan even juga rasa persahabatan bisa ilang gara ga
Danielle
This is the first book i have read by Jane Costello and it certainly will not be the last. I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down.

The book is about Evie Hart who is about to be bridesmaid to her best friend Grace and as she is walking down the stairs to see where Grace's mother is one of her chicken fillets that she has put down her bridesmaid dress decides to make a bid for freedom. But on her way down the stairs she makes eye contact with the gorgeous Jack Williamson.

Both Evie a
  • Pictures of Lily
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Yours Truly
  • Please Forgive Me
  • About a Girl (A Girl, #1)
  • Artistic License
  • Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
  • One Thing Led To Another
Jane Costello is the Top Ten best-selling author of seven novels including Bridesmaids, The Wish List and her latest book, The Time Of Our Lives.

Jane was a full-time journalist before she became an author, working on titles including the Liverpool Echo (where she started as a graduate trainee), the Daily Mail, and the Liverpool Daily Post, where she was Editor for almost five years.

She wrote her f
More about Jane Costello...
Girl On The Run The Nearly Weds My Single Friend The Wish List All The Single Ladies