Start by marking “Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers” as Want to Read:
Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers

Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Speakingdirectly to young people,unique stories and techniques are provided toinspire their creativity andmotivate them to explore the world of words. Taking youngwriters on a journey to discover themselves and what they really want to say,this guide explainshow to make it juicy and original, answering questions such as What do you need to begin? Where can you find ideas? ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Allen & Unwin (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Juicy Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juicy Writing

Not exactly your sophisticated technical writing how-to book, but it's a good place to start without being overwhelmed if you want to start out with writing. I especially liked the writing exercises featured in the book; it definitely enables you to start writing interesting material and get started with creative writing, especially if you haven't tried it before. A fun read for me, and it could definitely work for writers of all ages!
Is your mind blank? Have you got no inspiration at all? Are you stuck for hours and hours just to write a narrative? Well, if that's you, this is the best book youi're going to get. Inspirational and fun. If you're bored or NEED to do something for English homework than this is the best book to go to.
This book will inspire you to write creatively. She has lots of little exercises that not only get you thinking like a writer, but help you find your authentic voice/style.
Nov 09, 2014 Ellie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young aspiring writers
Shelves: writing
Good fun :)
Easy to read and full of some great advice.
Plenty of simple yet thought-provoking exercises.
Lacee Pilgrim
Apr 13, 2012 Lacee Pilgrim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Creative Writers
Shelves: favorites
Title: Juicy Writing
Subtitle: Inspiration and techniques for young writers
Author: Brigid Lowry
Target Audience: Young Adult
Pages: 195
Chapters: 5
Genre: Non-fiction - Writing
Rating: 9/10

Blurb (quoted):
“Brigid Lowry knows the highs and lows of being a writer, but she still thinks it’s a joy. In this book she takes you on a journey to discover yourself and what you really want to say, AND how to make it juicy and original. So, what do you need to begin? Where can you find ideas? How can you make your
This is really good to get your writing juices flowing. I wouldn't exactly pin it as inspirational, but I would definitely say that if you've managed to hit a block, the exercises here, if you're up to it, will definitely help. I've read this book heaps of time. I might've skipped some parts, but either way, each time I read it, I always get the sudden urge to write again. And each time I read it, it's as if I'm discovering something new about it.

It also gets you to be creative as well, and it d
I was really surprised when I saw how little people had rated and read this book. Personally, I find Juicy Writing is a must read for all aspiring writers just because of the little gems of knowledge (and fabulous quotes) you can find hidden between the pages. I am not a fan of Brigid Lowry, but she really outdid herself this time!!!

Firstly, there are lots of great ideas for poems and lots of creative ideas for stories. I found my writing (and, ultimately, reviews, improved after reading (and re
Brigitta Moon
This is a wonderful book for any writer of any type of story or paper. The author uses juicy writing of her own as she walks you through the writing of an engaging story. There are plenty of examples and exercises. My favorite was her reinforcement of the importance of editing. After reading the sentence three times I got it. It went something like this. Edit to be sure you didn't out a word. This book is well written and a joy to read.
Mar 26, 2015 Isla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens/teens who love writing
This book is an amazing collection of tips and tricks for young authors. Have you ever wanted to write stories? Improve on your techniques with this book, and find out about writing games and other things to spark your imagination. I absolutely adored this book and read it over and over again! Great for tweens/teens. A must-read for every budding author!
Lilly C.
It really helped me find topics to write about. The way Brigid Lowry writes this makes it easy to understand and to use in real writing.
Aug 05, 2013 Lily added it
I have an opinion on NZ authors, many people I know share. I'm not going to voice it over Goodreads. (If you know exactly what I mean, you'll understand...) This book however surprised me. Though it lacked information on how to layout a novel, it was excellent for on-the-go excersises and her experience as a fiction author really shone through. It wasn't as useful to me, because it didn't talk much about fantasy and that's the genre of the story I'm writing. I think that it would be excellent fo ...more
This book is part of my creative writing collection.
I always revisit them.

Though I write less often at the moment, they help provide possibilities.
Different takes on writing give us ideas and starting points.
Words and writing take us places we never imagined, not always good places, but that is part of the learning process.

Lots of fun to be had following the exercises or just choosing them randomly.
Good tool for journaling or any creative activity.
This book is *amazing*, the best writing book I have ever read- Brigid Lowry's style is fun and engaging and her excercises (the TONS of them) are all so so good. Poetry, stories and bits are scattered throughout and you'll fall in love. She also covers TONS of topics, from notebooks to plot, from lists to food... amazing.
Shelby McKean
Because this book is really written to encourage young writers, it is super-practical and fun. I plan to make many of the suggestions my own assignments, especially when my pen is not moving on its own. I certainly don't feel too old for the book to be for me!
Selah Bell
I loved this book, and still do! It is so well written, with fun writing exercises and tips, and really gives me inspiration. It has helped me out when I was stuck with my writing quite a few times. I would highly recommend it to any other teenage writer.
This book was so good!! It was like having the best english lessons and teacher. The book was written in a way that was easy to understand but still fun to read and i absolutely LOVED it!!!!
This was sweet! The tone was sort of diminutive, but I really liked the emphasis on authors having a life and NOT having to be a hermit to be able to write. Overall really helpful and fun!
Great tips and tricks for any of us youngins for our writing. There are examples, advice, exercises to try out and even little green men :) One of the best birthday presents I've received!
There were some really helpful tips in this book, though the authour seemed to repeat herself alot. And for me, it dragged on a bit unnecessarily.
Dec 20, 2012 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather by: Olyvia
This book was really helpful and gave me lots of ideas and tips for future writing projects.
Great writing ideas and inspiration! Love it!
Really inspiring.
Lauren Katherine
Lauren Katherine is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2015
Penelope marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Minna marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Nora Hoch
Nora Hoch marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • Genius Explained
  • How Writers Work: Finding a Process That Works for You
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Ballad Divine: Bhagavad-Gita
  • Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew
  • The Grammar Of Fantasy: An Introduction To The Art Of Inventing Stories
Brigid Lowry was born in New Zealand into a rather strange but very creative family. Here she learned a love of books, too many swear words and how to cook a decent omelette. Brigid's early, rather awful poetry was made into a small book by her father, a printer and typographer, and sold to kindly relatives for two and sixpence a copy. Thus her writing career was launched, but it took about twenty ...more
More about Brigid Lowry...
Guitar Highway Rose Follow the Blue With Lots of Love from Georgia Things You Either Hate or Love Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale