Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers

Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Speakingdirectly to young people,unique stories and techniques are provided toinspire their creativity andmotivate them to explore the world of words. Taking youngwriters on a journey to discover themselves and what they really want to say,this guide explainshow to make it juicy and original, answering questions such as What do you need to begin? Where can you find ideas?...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Allen & Unwin (first published November 1st 2008)

jameni
Not exactly your sophisticated technical writing how-to book, but it's a good place to start without being overwhelmed if you want to start out with writing. I especially liked the writing exercises featured in the book; it definitely enables you to start writing interesting material and get started with creative writing, especially if you haven't tried it before. A fun read for me, and it could definitely work for writers of all ages!
Shelly
Is your mind blank? Have you got no inspiration at all? Are you stuck for hours and hours just to write a narrative? Well, if that's you, this is the best book youi're going to get. Inspirational and fun. If you're bored or NEED to do something for English homework than this is the best book to go to.
Kristylemmon
This book will inspire you to write creatively. She has lots of little exercises that not only get you thinking like a writer, but help you find your authentic voice/style.
Lacee Pilgrim
Apr 13, 2012 Lacee Pilgrim rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Creative Writers
Shelves: favorites
Title: Juicy Writing
Subtitle: Inspiration and techniques for young writers
Author: Brigid Lowry
Target Audience: Young Adult
Pages: 195
Chapters: 5
Genre: Non-fiction - Writing
Rating: 9/10

Blurb (quoted):
“Brigid Lowry knows the highs and lows of being a writer, but she still thinks it’s a joy. In this book she takes you on a journey to discover yourself and what you really want to say, AND how to make it juicy and original. So, what do you need to begin? Where can you find ideas? How can you make your...more
Belinda
This is really good to get your writing juices flowing. I wouldn't exactly pin it as inspirational, but I would definitely say that if you've managed to hit a block, the exercises here, if you're up to it, will definitely help. I've read this book heaps of time. I might've skipped some parts, but either way, each time I read it, I always get the sudden urge to write again. And each time I read it, it's as if I'm discovering something new about it.

It also gets you to be creative as well, and it d...more
Winnie  The Pooh
I was really surprised when I saw how little people had rated and read this book. Personally, I find Juicy Writing is a must read for all aspiring writers just because of the little gems of knowledge (and fabulous quotes) you can find hidden between the pages. I am not a fan of Brigid Lowry, but she really outdid herself this time!!!

Firstly, there are lots of great ideas for poems and lots of creative ideas for stories. I found my writing (and, ultimately, reviews, improved after reading (and re...more
Sofia
This book was so good!! It was like having the best english lessons and teacher. The book was written in a way that was easy to understand but still fun to read and i absolutely LOVED it!!!!
Lily
Aug 05, 2013 Lily added it
I have an opinion on NZ authors, many people I know share. I'm not going to voice it over Goodreads. (If you know exactly what I mean, you'll understand...) This book however surprised me. Though it lacked information on how to layout a novel, it was excellent for on-the-go excersises and her experience as a fiction author really shone through. It wasn't as useful to me, because it didn't talk much about fantasy and that's the genre of the story I'm writing. I think that it would be excellent fo...more
call me sylvie okay.
This book is *amazing*, the best writing book I have ever read- Brigid Lowry's style is fun and engaging and her excercises (the TONS of them) are all so so good. Poetry, stories and bits are scattered throughout and you'll fall in love. She also covers TONS of topics, from notebooks to plot, from lists to food... amazing.
Shelby McKean
Because this book is really written to encourage young writers, it is super-practical and fun. I plan to make many of the suggestions my own assignments, especially when my pen is not moving on its own. I certainly don't feel too old for the book to be for me!
Selah Bell
I loved this book, and still do! It is so well written, with fun writing exercises and tips, and really gives me inspiration. It has helped me out when I was stuck with my writing quite a few times. I would highly recommend it to any other teenage writer.
Nifty
This was sweet! The tone was sort of diminutive, but I really liked the emphasis on authors having a life and NOT having to be a hermit to be able to write. Overall really helpful and fun!
Margaret
Great tips and tricks for any of us youngins for our writing. There are examples, advice, exercises to try out and even little green men :) One of the best birthday presents I've received!
Mikayla_
There were some really helpful tips in this book, though the authour seemed to repeat herself alot. And for me, it dragged on a bit unnecessarily.
Heather
Dec 20, 2012 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather by: Olyvia
This book was really helpful and gave me lots of ideas and tips for future writing projects.
Rabbit {Pokemon Master}
Good for middle grade children and early teens.
MissStan
Great writing ideas and inspiration! Love it!
Nicki
Really inspiring.
Emma
Re-read.
Emily Dickson
Emily Dickson marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Jennifer Olson
Jennifer Olson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kalliope Bessler
Kalliope Bessler is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
Mar Gonzalez
Mar Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Brigid Lowry was born in New Zealand into a rather strange but very creative family. Here she learned a love of books, too many swear words and how to cook a decent omelette. Brigid's early, rather awful poetry was made into a small book by her father, a printer and typographer, and sold to kindly relatives for two and sixpence a copy. Thus her writing career was launched, but it took about twenty...more
More about Brigid Lowry...
Guitar Highway Rose Follow the Blue With Lots of Love from Georgia Things You Either Hate or Love Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale