Start by marking “Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers” as Want to Read:
Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers

Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers

Speakingdirectly to young people,unique stories and techniques are provided toinspire their creativity andmotivate them to explore the world of words. Taking youngwriters on a journey to discover themselves and what they really want to say,this guide explainshow to make it juicy and original, answering questions such as What do you need to begin? Where can you find ideas? ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Allen & Unwin (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Juicy Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juicy Writing

Karys McEwen
Jun 21, 2016 Karys McEwen rated it it was amazing
ermahgerd I love this book! So many great ideas for my teen writing club! I use it every week. Big fan.
Jam
May 06, 2013 Jam rated it liked it
Not exactly your sophisticated technical writing how-to book, but it's a good place to start without being overwhelmed if you want to start out with writing. I especially liked the writing exercises featured in the book; it definitely enables you to start writing interesting material and get started with creative writing, especially if you haven't tried it before. A fun read for me, and it could definitely work for writers of all ages!
Shelly
Apr 25, 2011 Shelly rated it it was amazing
Is your mind blank? Have you got no inspiration at all? Are you stuck for hours and hours just to write a narrative? Well, if that's you, this is the best book youi're going to get. Inspirational and fun. If you're bored or NEED to do something for English homework than this is the best book to go to.
Kristylemmon
Sep 17, 2008 Kristylemmon rated it really liked it
This book will inspire you to write creatively. She has lots of little exercises that not only get you thinking like a writer, but help you find your authentic voice/style.
Ellie
Nov 09, 2014 Ellie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young aspiring writers
Shelves: writing
Good fun :)
Easy to read and full of some great advice.
Plenty of simple yet thought-provoking exercises.
Janaya
Oct 25, 2015 Janaya rated it it was amazing
This book completely lives up to five stars.I find it very creative and more relaxed. This was actually better than my expectations. Most writing books are good but too formal(Who can be formal when their writing?). I also love how the ending chapter is about expressing yourself through writing and knowing yourself. My favorite thing were the writing exercises! They really get your imagination going and you might have a story if you use them. This book is wonderful if you use it to its full exte ...more
Lacee Pilgrim
Apr 13, 2012 Lacee Pilgrim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Creative Writers
Shelves: favorites
Title: Juicy Writing
Subtitle: Inspiration and techniques for young writers
Author: Brigid Lowry
Target Audience: Young Adult
Pages: 195
Chapters: 5
Genre: Non-fiction - Writing
Rating: 9/10

Blurb (quoted):
“Brigid Lowry knows the highs and lows of being a writer, but she still thinks it’s a joy. In this book she takes you on a journey to discover yourself and what you really want to say, AND how to make it juicy and original. So, what do you need to begin? Where can you find ideas? How can you make your
Belinda
This is really good to get your writing juices flowing. I wouldn't exactly pin it as inspirational, but I would definitely say that if you've managed to hit a block, the exercises here, if you're up to it, will definitely help. I've read this book heaps of time. I might've skipped some parts, but either way, each time I read it, I always get the sudden urge to write again. And each time I read it, it's as if I'm discovering something new about it.

It also gets you to be creative as well, and it d
Brigitta Moon
Sep 20, 2015 Brigitta Moon rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for any writer of any type of story or paper. The author uses juicy writing of her own as she walks you through the writing of an engaging story. There are plenty of examples and exercises. My favorite was her reinforcement of the importance of editing. After reading the sentence three times I got it. It went something like this. Edit to be sure you didn't out a word. This book is well written and a joy to read.
Tanya
Dec 06, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it
Worth a re-read and possible purchase. Th techniques are fun and the quotes are inspiring. I felt a great energy from this book and think it would keep one's writing toolbox full of ideas.
Lilly C.
Aug 01, 2014 Lilly C. rated it it was amazing
It really helped me find topics to write about. The way Brigid Lowry writes this makes it easy to understand and to use in real writing.
Lily
Aug 05, 2013 Lily added it
I have an opinion on NZ authors, many people I know share. I'm not going to voice it over Goodreads. (If you know exactly what I mean, you'll understand...) This book however surprised me. Though it lacked information on how to layout a novel, it was excellent for on-the-go excersises and her experience as a fiction author really shone through. It wasn't as useful to me, because it didn't talk much about fantasy and that's the genre of the story I'm writing. I think that it would be excellent fo ...more
Tina
Feb 22, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
This book is part of my creative writing collection.
I always revisit them.

Though I write less often at the moment, they help provide possibilities.
Different takes on writing give us ideas and starting points.
Words and writing take us places we never imagined, not always good places, but that is part of the learning process.

Lots of fun to be had following the exercises or just choosing them randomly.
Good tool for journaling or any creative activity.
emma
Feb 18, 2013 emma rated it it was amazing
This book is *amazing*, the best writing book I have ever read- Brigid Lowry's style is fun and engaging and her excercises (the TONS of them) are all so so good. Poetry, stories and bits are scattered throughout and you'll fall in love. She also covers TONS of topics, from notebooks to plot, from lists to food... amazing.
Shelby McKean
May 04, 2009 Shelby McKean rated it really liked it
Because this book is really written to encourage young writers, it is super-practical and fun. I plan to make many of the suggestions my own assignments, especially when my pen is not moving on its own. I certainly don't feel too old for the book to be for me!
Belle
Dec 20, 2015 Belle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and still do! It is so well written, with fun writing exercises and tips, and really gives me inspiration. It has helped me out when I was stuck with my writing quite a few times. I would highly recommend it to any other teenage writer.
Selah Bell
Aug 24, 2012 Selah Bell rated it it was amazing
Isla
Aug 14, 2016 Isla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens/tweens who like to write.
This book leads you on an amazing journey to find your inner creativeness and write your absolute best! I loved it and it is my favourite book on how-to-write. Brigid Lowry has done an excellent job.
Sofia
Jan 19, 2015 Sofia rated it liked it
This book was so good!! It was like having the best english lessons and teacher. The book was written in a way that was easy to understand but still fun to read and i absolutely LOVED it!!!!
Nifty
Aug 15, 2012 Nifty rated it really liked it
This was sweet! The tone was sort of diminutive, but I really liked the emphasis on authors having a life and NOT having to be a hermit to be able to write. Overall really helpful and fun!
Margaret
Dec 17, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
Great tips and tricks for any of us youngins for our writing. There are examples, advice, exercises to try out and even little green men :) One of the best birthday presents I've received!
Mikayla_
Jan 30, 2010 Mikayla_ rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
There were some really helpful tips in this book, though the authour seemed to repeat herself alot. And for me, it dragged on a bit unnecessarily.
Heather
Dec 20, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Olyvia
This book was really helpful and gave me lots of ideas and tips for future writing projects.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Good for middle grade children and early teens.
MissStan
Jan 12, 2013 MissStan rated it it was amazing
Great writing ideas and inspiration! Love it!
Nicki
Mar 29, 2011 Nicki rated it liked it
Really inspiring.
Emma
Jan 18, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
Re-read.
Andra
Andra marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Joy Merritt
Joy Merritt rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Heather Meloche
Heather Meloche marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook
  • End of the Alphabet
  • Poetry as Survival
  • World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down
  • Been There, Done That: Writing Stories from Real Life (Been There, Done That, #1)
  • The Way to Write for Children: An Introduction to the Craft of Writing Children's Literature
  • Genius Explained
  • A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice
  • Spirals of Song and Other Poems
  • It's Never Too Late: 172 Simple Acts to Change Your Life
  • Love Cake
  • How Writers Work: Finding a Process That Works for You
  • A Novel in a Year
  • The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises
Brigid Lowry was born in New Zealand into a rather strange but very creative family. Here she learned a love of books, too many swear words and how to cook a decent omelette. Brigid's early, rather awful poetry was made into a small book by her father, a printer and typographer, and sold to kindly relatives for two and sixpence a copy. Thus her writing career was launched, but it took about twenty ...more
More about Brigid Lowry...