Start by marking “Darkness Slipped In” as Want to Read:
Darkness Slipped In

Darkness Slipped In

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Daisy isn't afraid of Darkness when he quietly slips in through her bedroom window one evening. Together, Daisy and Darkness dance and play until bedtime. This enchanting story personifies Darkness as a friendly and welcome visitor. The bold design includes a wonderfully tactile varnish to highlight Darkness's looming shape as he fills the room. The book's striking use of ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Kingfisher (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Slipped In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Slipped In

Kathryn
Dec 31, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I think this will be either a love it or hate it sort of book. Personally, I thought it was a delightful read and I felt interested by the author's portrayal of the shiny-dark personification of darkness in contrast to the bright pink-and-blond of the girl. I love that the little girl is confident that the darkness cannot hurt her--and that this lack of fear leads to fun and friendship.

That said, I do think parents should preview this before reading it to their children. Some may find the darkn
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
I love this book so much that I bought this a year ago for my kids who are afraid of the dark. A year after, we still read this every night, not only because it eases the fear my kiddos feel when nighttime comes, but we also love the illustrations and crisp & smooth pages of the book. Though most of the images consist of black and pink and white, the whole book itself was colorful and very pleasing to the eyes.

Daisy could teach my sons a thing or two about the dark. I thank her because she i
Monster
Darkness comes into Daisy’s pink and white bedroom while she is playing happily, and begins to fill the pages, reaching out to cover her, but Daisy’s got his number. As soon as he’s close enough, she grabs him by the wrist, and suddenly they’re partners in a jazzy dance! The simple rhyming text comes to life with Ella Burfoot’s illustrations. Burfoot outlines Daisy’s pink and white spaces and determined, excited face with solid lines, in marked contrast to the abstract figure of Darkness. Altho ...more
Marilyn
Sep 24, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
There are just some books you pick up, read through and after you finish just want to hug and never put down. Well that is the kind of impact this book had on me. It is one of those books that I wish I had written. I am so bad that I have homed it in a ziplock so that nothing can harm it and it will always be in pristine condition for when I want to pull it out and re-visit that feeling of "awe" and love that I experienced the very first read. Yes, I am a hopeless booklover and this is one of th ...more
Mary
This is a cute book for ECE level readers because of its simplicity and rhyming. Also, the illustrations are wonderful because the textures change when darkness is in the room, which adds a sensory element to the story.
Jennifer Love
Jul 25, 2015 Jennifer Love rated it really liked it
Wonderful story and illustrations. The book and page design is fantastic! What a beautifully put together children's book!
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 15, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Energetic, fluid illustrations bring a lot of life to this simple tale of a girl who refuses to be scared of the dark.
Bonnie
Nov 21, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I loved the artwork! I'm certain it was meant to help keep the fear of dark away, I thought it was kind of creepy.
Dom Conlon
Aug 28, 2014 Dom Conlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely rhyming story with delightful illustrations. Akin to Emma Yarlett's Orion and the Dark.
Lisa the Librarian
Jan 29, 2010 Lisa the Librarian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children scared of the dark
Recommended to Lisa by: Gene Nelson & Carla Morris from Provo City Library
I loved the bright pink contrasting with black in this book.

The little girl in the book befriends the personification of darkness when he slips into her room at night.

The character of darknes is portrayed as a shiney black figure on a matte black background.

This is a great way to help children realize darkness is not to be feared, but just a part of the cycle of the day and night.

Brilliant use of color and texture contrast. This was a contender for our mock Caldecott at Provo City Library in 2
Emmeline Guest
The perfect mix of pink and blackness, this story is sure to help young readers (especially those who love pink) overcome their fear of darkness.
Wonderful illustrations, a mix of color pencil drawings and glossy black shapes, are the perfect companion to a story about a little girl Daisy who is not afraid of Darkness – in fact she grabs him by the hand and they do a funky twist. And, when Daisy begins to feel sleepy,Darkness does not stay to scare her – he simply says goodnight.
Rebecca
Jul 23, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers afraid of the dark
Shelves: picture-books
The personification of "darkness" as a gloss varnish shape on black paper is pretty awesome, and I always want to pet varnish spots on paper. But other than that, I thought this book was a little creepy. I prefer humor, a la Duck's not afraid of the dark to pretending darkness is a man coming in your window and taking over your room.
Amanda
Jun 07, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I just bought this book for my kids, and I love it! The way the author creatively illustrated "dark" through the story is brilliant, but the art and texture of the "darkness" itself is genius. "Darkness" comes to life as a delightful character and helps dispel some of the fear associated with it. This book is so visually appealing...you will simply need to see it for yourself!
Dawn
Mar 19, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was the popular book of the day at the daycare where I volunteer as a reader. At first I was wondering if the story would be too scary, especially when one kid asked if "darkness" was a "monster," but the "darkness" character isn't scary at all once the book progresses. The kids loved it, although it was very short.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Oct 03, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Glossy black skulking is no match for unflappable spunk in this inventively illustrated bedtime ditty.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Mary
Sep 16, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Super cute little story and perfect for kids that may be tentative about the dark. (Darkness is a fun-loving character that likes to dance and play!) I love that the illustrations for darkness are done in glossy black - it really adds visual interest and contrast to the pictures.
Tichina Fung-chung
Darkness Slipped In is about a little girl who meets "Darkness". I think it is so cute because many children are afraid of the dark and this book teaches them that darkness is nothing to worry about. this would be a great bedtime story or even naptime story for kids.
Gwen the Librarian
Sep 05, 2008 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
What I really like about this book is the creative use of the glossy pages. What could be sort-of mundane rhyme about a girl making friends with the dark (perfect for children scared of the dark), is made just magical by the illustrations. Check it out!
Rakisha
Dec 31, 2008 Rakisha rated it it was amazing
A delightfully cute book about a little girl who gets over her fear of the dark by dancing with it. The art work is great especially the interpretation of "darkness." A wonderful book to read to toddlers and preschoolers.
Chantel
Nov 02, 2008 Chantel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just the tiniest bit scary in a "tingly" kind of way. Very creatively illustrated. I especially like the last illustration with "dark's" arms around the little girl. This book makes night-time a little more friendly.
Marie
Sep 23, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
This is a light but delightful story that cam empower children to not be afraid of the dark. The darkness shines...a great device for setting him off as a character and for adding intrigue to the darkness.
UISG LIBRARY
Sep 02, 2013 UISG LIBRARY rated it really liked it
This story had my student intrigued from start to finish. It fit perfectly with our P Unit on Friendship. Elizabeth does a series of things to begin a friendship with Darkness. Awesome book.
Lam Nguyen
Nov 24, 2010 Lam Nguyen rated it liked it
Shelves: rhyming
This is a rhyming book that tries to personify darkness as a friendly person. Great for students who might be scared of the dark and it also can be used to teaching rhyming.
TwoDrinks
Jan 25, 2014 TwoDrinks rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, it's a great way of helping children overcome a fear of darkness by presenting him as a friend. I really liked the shiny bits in the book, very tactile.
Cher
Jul 07, 2008 Cher rated it liked it
Very adorable and slickly produced hardcover picture book about why children should not be afraid of the dark. Perfect to read as a bedtime story to your wee fraidy one!
Roseann
Feb 01, 2009 Roseann rated it it was amazing
Really great book...fabulous priting execution with different sheen to darkness and how it resolves is great, makes darkness less scary for little ones, and more funny!
Molly
Dec 23, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Random find on the library shelves

I'm torn on whether this would really work to allay fears of the dark...but it was very well illustrated and I enjoyed it!
Rachel
Jun 24, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Young girl plays and dances with darkness. A fun book with interesting texture for the darkness added. A good book for kids afraid of the dark.
Chrystal
Oct 29, 2010 Chrystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-children
My girls loved this one and I did too. Fun slippery black shadow and adorable way to talk about overcoming fear of the dark.
Jeni
Mar 17, 2009 Jeni rated it it was amazing
Most delightful! About one tough little girl who is not afraid of the dark,with a little boogie woogie too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in rural Norfolk, I have been drawing and writing since I was a small child. Inspired by artists and storytellers like Edward Lear, Eric Carle and David Mckee, I produced many poems, stories and pictures, which I would turn into books.

I now come up with most of my ideas for stories when out walking in the countryside, and, if I'm lucky, I have a pencil and paper with me at the time- I quite o
More about Ella Burfoot...