Start by marking “You Can't Go To School Naked!” as Want to Read:
You Can't Go To School Naked!

You Can't Go To School Naked!

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  58 reviews
A guaranteed crowd-pleaser! Lots of kids like to run around naked and here?s a funny book to remind them why it?s best to keep their clothes on, particularly at school. Just think about it?could you go down the slide? Steal second base? This little guy?s parents warn him of many dangers he?d face if he went to school without clothes on, and eventually he sees their point. ...more
Published July 3rd 2008 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Go To School Naked!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Go To School Naked!

Becky
I've set myself a goal of reading 150 books this year. I am not even close to being on target. I'm like 12 books behind.

It's quite sad, really.

So, when I remembered WeGiveBooks.org, I was like "Oooh! I can feel as though I've accomplished something almost like reading!" AND, even better, I have done something to tip the Karmic scales a little more toward the positive, since my spending 5 minutes to read this book has resulted in a book being donated to the Overbrook School for the Blind, in Ph
Laima
I read this book for free on We Give Books.

As a mother of two grown boys I'm not at all surprised the way kids dress or don't dress when they go to school. I've seen full out fairy princess costumes, complete with wand and crown, inside out clothing, clothing too big or too tight or just plain mismatched. I've seen my kids want to wear the same outfit for 2 weeks in a row. Never naked though. No, not that. This book explains to a young child why he cannot go to school naked. It was ok. The illus
Abby Spiel
You Can't Go To School Naked is a humorous book about a boy who wants to go to school naked because he does not like clothes, but his parents insist that he cannot! They tell him all of the things he can't do naked, like play in the snow, slide on the baseball field, or hold his things in his pockets. They tell him there will be consequences if he does not wear clothes to school, so the boy comes up with a better idea.

I love this book because I felt like it kept me engaged the whole time because
Paige Green
You Can't Go to School Naked, written by Dianne Billstrom and illustrated by Don Kilpatrick, is a cute tale about a little boy who refuses to wear clothes. He would rather go to school naked than wear them. His parents begin to tell them all of the horrible things that might happen if he went to school naked. His parents reminded him he wouldn't have pockets to hold toys and things, he might get a sun burn all over and be confused as a tomato, or he might freeze in the winter and catch the flu. ...more
Katie K
Read this book. Buy this book. My mom wrote it over 10 years ago when she was struggling to get my nephew to put his clothes on for school. This is a perfect book for parents, friends, grandparents or anyone who has tried to get a child to do something that they will not do. My husband also is the illustrator. Hope you like it!
Toneeshia
You Can't Go to School Naked is a rhyming picture book intended for Primary aged children, but I think Nursery aged children would enjoy it as well. You Can't Go to School Naked is about a boy who wishes to go to school naked. His parents explain to him the consequences of going to school naked such as getting sunburned, dirty, or smelly. Although the boy is naked he is not completely exposed, he is usually covered by an object or positioned in a way not to overly expose himself. I rated the bo ...more
Erin Lorimer
"You Can't Go To School Naked" by Dianne Billstrom is such a silly idea for a children's book. The initial point that not wearing any clothes to school is ridiculous reached the reader through extreme circumstances. From a full body sunburn to frostbite in winter, both only while walking to school. Could the little boy steal second base with no clothes? Certainly not. He wouldn't want to slide down the slide in the summer with an exposed bare bottom, would he? The little boy is exposed to numero ...more
Keli
Nov 16, 2008 Keli rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 3-6
Synopsis

This rhyming picture book explains the importance of wearing clothes to school. At the end, the little boy learns how to follow this rule...in his own way.

Review

Transitioning to school and the new set of rules can be difficult for a child. This silly book could help parents introduce the benefits of following this rule and possibly help with the morning routine. The pictures are very entertaining and help to explain the text. There's only two lines of text for each two pages spread. This
Nancy
Told in a rhyming fashion, this adorable book follows the parents reasoning as to why their son has to wear clothing to school. All the reasons are quite plausible, but their son is not quite sure.

All they want him to do is to consider the consequences, well, that is a mighty big task for a little boy, but that night has he sleeps he lets their tales roll around in his head like a big pot of soup.

As morning dawns, the little boy has come up with the perfect solution. It might not be ideal is al
Jenna
This was a very humorous book, and reminded me of when I was younger and refused to wear the clothes my parents picked out for me to wear to school. The author used great techniques in her writing to allow the younger listeners the perspective of what could possibly happen if they did not wear clothes, and the numerous things they would not be able to do in school.
Eileen Patterson
Ha this book is hilarious! I never wanted to wear clothes when I was young either, and this is a fun book for every kid who likes to peel their clothes off and run away from mom and dad (which is most kids I've met). It teaches a lesson about why wearing clothes is important, and it's fun and the illustrations are colorful and cute.
Nolan Johnson
A. This is a book about a boy who wants to go to school naked. His parents list a long list of reasons why he shouldn't go to school naked. He finally agrees to wear clothes to school.

B. The major theme in this book is consequences.

C. I would use this book to teach my students about consequences of choices made.
Tracy Morton
Cute and funny. Parents try to explain to a child who doesn't like clothes that he must wear clothes. They give him all kinds of reason why wearing clothes is necessary. In the end he decides that if he can't go to school naked he will go dressed in his superhero costume.
Nicole
Good for that difficult age where kids want to wear weird combinations or nothing at all. Teaches parents to compromise. As long as the kid is clothed, all is well. Okay illustrations. Good rhyming. Needs a better plot because kids like to get dirty.
Fjóla
Very silly! I therefore figured my five year old would like it. The illustrations have a retro feel to them, I would have guessed this book was much older than it actually is ...
Beka
Got lots of laughs out of this one. Kurt thinks this boy is crazy for sliding down the slide and getting crispy like a french fry!
Natalie
I think I'll have to wait a few weeks to read this at storytime. I just read Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed at last week's, and I don't want parents thinking I have some fascination of nudity. (I mean I do, everyone does right? But you don't want the person who reads to your kids to be some kind of freak do you?)

Naked is definitely funny territory, and in this book is no exception. The pictures are really the best part, as it seems like the author's choice of words is always to catch up with her id
Heather Dunbar
The writing of this book reminded me of the style of Dr. Seuss. The little boy didn't want to wear clothes to school and his parents were giving him a bunch of (silly) reasons why it would be a bad idea, and he was picturing it. Very funny, I imagined a classroom of children cackling uncontrollably when this book was read aloud to them (so warning to the teachers, this book will get loud). In the end he decides that wearing super hero costumes would be best.
John Smith
This is a hilarious book for children. My four-year-old could not stop laughing when I was reading this to him. It is the story of a boy who wants to go to school butt naked, but his parents talk him out of it. Absolutely age appropriate and great sense of humor. My sons acted it out, with my 4yo as the nudist. I got it on tape, and it was so humongously cute, especially when he would turn around and shake his little butt to the rhymes. Loved it!
Melanie
A young boy wants to go to school naked. But his parents warn him there could be problems. For example, what if he wants to play baseball? He definitely couldn't slide! And he couldn't go down the slide of course! Eesh! If it's cold outside he'll freeze, but if the sun is shining really hard, imagine the sun burn. Finally the young boy realizes he must wear something...so what's wrong with his superhero costume? Why, nothing at all!
Joenna
A cute rhyming book about a boy who doesn't want to wear clothes to school. His parents give him all sorts of reasons why he must wear clothes, such as he'll get sunburn and he couldn't slide to a base in baseball! In the end, the little boy declares that if he must wear clothes to school, then he'll wear his superman costume.
Hye Eun
This book goes over all the consequences of going to school naked. It would be a good book during the first couple days of school to cheer up the children. I know just hearing the word naked makes children giggle. There are also rhyming words. It's cute how he decides to wear superhero costume at the end. K-1st grade.
Amanda
A good guide to why going to school naked isn't a good idea. Maybe it was the subject or the fact that there was a big sign on the front, but my son loved this one and wanted it read again when I was finished. I also found it on his bed after his naptime, so he'd apparently gone through it on his own.
Betty Kim
"you Can't Go to School Naked!" is the fun book from the word 'naked' use in the title. This is can be appropriate to read to Pre-K or Kindergarten students at the fist day of school to remain them the things that can happen when they come to school 'naked' for just a fun start.
Madonna
This is such a silly book which children would have a blast reading. the book rhymes all throughout and speaks about why one can't go to school nakes and all the things that can happen. I would read this book to kindergarten-2nd grade students.
Jean-Marie
A cute rhyming picture book featuring two parents trying to convincing their son why he can't go to school naked. In the end, he doesn't go to school naked. However... ;-) Parents will appreciate the ending. Fun illustrations.
Sarah Kiesche
This book is very funny! My son was partly embarrassed and mesmerized by the story. This explores all of the consequences of going to school naked. A fun silly story that could be read on the first day to lighten the mood. K-2
Wanda
This was a really adorable read and my three year old laughed so hard at it. He asks all the time if we can read it again. This would be good for those little ones who are going through the exhibitionist phase :D
babyhippoface
Not my favorite, but the illustrations were kind of cute, and this could be fun and maybe even helpful for anyone who has a little one who likes to A) run around naked or B)wear his superhero outfit all day, every day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Robot Zot!
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • The Best Story
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Wolf Won't Bite!