Start by marking “You Can't Go To School Naked!” as Want to Read:
You Can't Go To School Naked!

You Can't Go To School Naked!

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A guaranteed crowd-pleaser! Lots of kids like to run around naked and here?s a funny book to remind them why it?s best to keep their clothes on, particularly at school. Just think about it?could you go down the slide? Steal second base? This little guy?s parents warn him of many dangers he?d face if he went to school without clothes on, and eventually he sees their point. ...more
Published July 3rd 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Go To School Naked!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Go To School Naked!

Becky
Apr 03, 2013 Becky rated it it was ok
I've set myself a goal of reading 150 books this year. I am not even close to being on target. I'm like 12 books behind.

It's quite sad, really.

So, when I remembered WeGiveBooks.org, I was like "Oooh! I can feel as though I've accomplished something almost like reading!" AND, even better, I have done something to tip the Karmic scales a little more toward the positive, since my spending 5 minutes to read this book has resulted in a book being donated to the Overbrook School for the Blind, in Ph
Laima
I read this book for free on We Give Books.

As a mother of two grown boys I'm not at all surprised the way kids dress or don't dress when they go to school. I've seen full out fairy princess costumes, complete with wand and crown, inside out clothing, clothing too big or too tight or just plain mismatched. I've seen my kids want to wear the same outfit for 2 weeks in a row. Never naked though. No, not that. This book explains to a young child why he cannot go to school naked. It was ok. The illus
Kristen Rigau
Mar 23, 2015 Kristen Rigau rated it it was amazing
The short children's book, You Can't Go To School Naked, written by Dianne Billstrom was one of the cutest silliest children's books that I have read. It is written as a poem and is told from the parens perspective. It is like a list of things that could happen if you were to go to school naked and none of them are good. The child seems happy at first going to school naked but it shown to be upset and distraught while all of these bad things are happening. At the end, he is shown going off to sc ...more
McCall Donnelly
Mar 18, 2015 McCall Donnelly rated it it was amazing
This book shares all the reasons why you can't go to school naked. There's the possibility of sunburn or frostbite, or being covered in slime. Many more reasons were listed by a young boys parents who were convincing him to change his mind. In the morning the boy wakes up and decides if he has to wear clothes it will be what he wants to wear and he leave the house dressed as a superhero.

This book may be relatable to a lot of children who are not fond of wearing clothes. Especially the clothes th
Abby Spiel
You Can't Go To School Naked is a humorous book about a boy who wants to go to school naked because he does not like clothes, but his parents insist that he cannot! They tell him all of the things he can't do naked, like play in the snow, slide on the baseball field, or hold his things in his pockets. They tell him there will be consequences if he does not wear clothes to school, so the boy comes up with a better idea.

I love this book because I felt like it kept me engaged the whole time because
Paige Green
Oct 19, 2014 Paige Green rated it really liked it
You Can't Go to School Naked, written by Dianne Billstrom and illustrated by Don Kilpatrick, is a cute tale about a little boy who refuses to wear clothes. He would rather go to school naked than wear them. His parents begin to tell them all of the horrible things that might happen if he went to school naked. His parents reminded him he wouldn't have pockets to hold toys and things, he might get a sun burn all over and be confused as a tomato, or he might freeze in the winter and catch the flu. ...more
Katie K
Jun 07, 2008 Katie K rated it it was amazing
Read this book. Buy this book. My mom wrote it over 10 years ago when she was struggling to get my nephew to put his clothes on for school. This is a perfect book for parents, friends, grandparents or anyone who has tried to get a child to do something that they will not do. My husband also is the illustrator. Hope you like it!
Toneeshia
Sep 27, 2011 Toneeshia rated it it was amazing
You Can't Go to School Naked is a rhyming picture book intended for Primary aged children, but I think Nursery aged children would enjoy it as well. You Can't Go to School Naked is about a boy who wishes to go to school naked. His parents explain to him the consequences of going to school naked such as getting sunburned, dirty, or smelly. Although the boy is naked he is not completely exposed, he is usually covered by an object or positioned in a way not to overly expose himself. I rated the bo ...more
Ariel
Sep 21, 2015 Ariel rated it really liked it
This book is sure to make anyone laugh, and I for one could help but chuckle at some of the reason's Billstrom gives for why you can't go to school naked. The colors used to make the illustrations are bright and catch your eye, and help create an image of these different scenarios of what would happen if you went to school naked. I for one love reading this book to little kids and recommend it as picture story book for any adult to read to a child!
Sherry Thornberry
Kids asked the darnedest questions. If yours ask you why they cant go to school naked, just read them this book. It explains why with valid reasons kids will understand. This book was very funny and I enjoyed the language with comparisons and rhymes. I could actually picture a little boy asking to go to school naked and given all the reason he cant. I loved the fact that he decided he would go to school in clothes but it would be a superhero costume.
Erin Lorimer
Oct 16, 2013 Erin Lorimer rated it really liked it
"You Can't Go To School Naked" by Dianne Billstrom is such a silly idea for a children's book. The initial point that not wearing any clothes to school is ridiculous reached the reader through extreme circumstances. From a full body sunburn to frostbite in winter, both only while walking to school. Could the little boy steal second base with no clothes? Certainly not. He wouldn't want to slide down the slide in the summer with an exposed bare bottom, would he? The little boy is exposed to numero ...more
Keli
Nov 16, 2008 Keli rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 3-6
Synopsis

This rhyming picture book explains the importance of wearing clothes to school. At the end, the little boy learns how to follow this rule...in his own way.

Review

Transitioning to school and the new set of rules can be difficult for a child. This silly book could help parents introduce the benefits of following this rule and possibly help with the morning routine. The pictures are very entertaining and help to explain the text. There's only two lines of text for each two pages spread. This
Nancy
Jan 14, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Told in a rhyming fashion, this adorable book follows the parents reasoning as to why their son has to wear clothing to school. All the reasons are quite plausible, but their son is not quite sure.

All they want him to do is to consider the consequences, well, that is a mighty big task for a little boy, but that night has he sleeps he lets their tales roll around in his head like a big pot of soup.

As morning dawns, the little boy has come up with the perfect solution. It might not be ideal is al
Jenna
Sep 02, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
This was a very humorous book, and reminded me of when I was younger and refused to wear the clothes my parents picked out for me to wear to school. The author used great techniques in her writing to allow the younger listeners the perspective of what could possibly happen if they did not wear clothes, and the numerous things they would not be able to do in school.
Eileen Patterson
May 20, 2014 Eileen Patterson rated it it was amazing
Ha this book is hilarious! I never wanted to wear clothes when I was young either, and this is a fun book for every kid who likes to peel their clothes off and run away from mom and dad (which is most kids I've met). It teaches a lesson about why wearing clothes is important, and it's fun and the illustrations are colorful and cute.
Nolan Johnson
Nov 20, 2014 Nolan Johnson rated it liked it
A. This is a book about a boy who wants to go to school naked. His parents list a long list of reasons why he shouldn't go to school naked. He finally agrees to wear clothes to school.

B. The major theme in this book is consequences.

C. I would use this book to teach my students about consequences of choices made.
Tracy Morton
Aug 25, 2014 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute and funny. Parents try to explain to a child who doesn't like clothes that he must wear clothes. They give him all kinds of reason why wearing clothes is necessary. In the end he decides that if he can't go to school naked he will go dressed in his superhero costume.
Kim
Apr 21, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
This a fun little rhyming story, that kids would love to have read to them. This would be a good mentor text for using rhyme when writing. The illustrations are so funny, and are perfect for just doing a picture walk before reading. It was a lot of fun to read.
Jordan Williams
Apr 21, 2015 Jordan Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Kids will crack up at this story! I thought it was funny as well. I feel this is one of those books to sit on the shelf for the kids to read during silent reading. The only educational use I could think of is to read it during a lesson on rhyming words.
Nicole
Jul 12, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Good for that difficult age where kids want to wear weird combinations or nothing at all. Teaches parents to compromise. As long as the kid is clothed, all is well. Okay illustrations. Good rhyming. Needs a better plot because kids like to get dirty.
Alison Durbin
It goes without saying that kids will giggle like crazy at this book and the little situations the main character comes up with. This book is humorous, but I don't see myself using it in any really classroom situations.
Fjóla
Very silly! I therefore figured my five year old would like it. The illustrations have a retro feel to them, I would have guessed this book was much older than it actually is ...
Beka
Nov 25, 2014 Beka rated it really liked it
Got lots of laughs out of this one. Kurt thinks this boy is crazy for sliding down the slide and getting crispy like a french fry!
Mrs. Carey
Jan 31, 2016 Mrs. Carey rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
Young kids will enjoy the humor of this book. The rhyming text includes a lot of higher level vocabulary as well.
Natalie
Feb 27, 2009 Natalie rated it liked it
I think I'll have to wait a few weeks to read this at storytime. I just read Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed at last week's, and I don't want parents thinking I have some fascination of nudity. (I mean I do, everyone does right? But you don't want the person who reads to your kids to be some kind of freak do you?)

Naked is definitely funny territory, and in this book is no exception. The pictures are really the best part, as it seems like the author's choice of words is always to catch up with her id
Oct 18, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-read
Just so-so in my opinion, but my 4-year-old would give it 5 stars for hilarity.
Alison
Apr 15, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, grade-1
This is a funny, enjoyable read that I know children will love. It is so preposterous that it is attention grabbing. I would like to use this story to promote additional writing topics to my students.
Asiya
May 30, 2016 Asiya rated it did not like it
Shelves:
I want to read it now
Lauren White
good for grades prek-k
Heather Dunbar
Oct 12, 2013 Heather Dunbar rated it really liked it
The writing of this book reminded me of the style of Dr. Seuss. The little boy didn't want to wear clothes to school and his parents were giving him a bunch of (silly) reasons why it would be a bad idea, and he was picturing it. Very funny, I imagined a classroom of children cackling uncontrollably when this book was read aloud to them (so warning to the teachers, this book will get loud). In the end he decides that wearing super hero costumes would be best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • Nobunny's Perfect
  • Born to Read
  • Doctor Ted
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • The Best Story