Start by marking “Shopping Mall High School: Winners and Losers in the Educational Marketplace” as Want to Read:
Shopping Mall High School: Winners and Losers in the Educational Marketplace

Shopping Mall High School: Winners and Losers in the Educational Marketplace

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  2 reviews
The successor volume to Theodore Sizer's Horace's Compromise, "A sobering analysis of current conditions in our secondary schools and how they got that way"--Albert Shanker, President, American Federation of Teachers.
Published March 13th 1999 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shopping Mall High School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shopping Mall High School

Ms.
Let me be clear, in this case the rating isn't because "it was amazing". A book like this isn't going to be amazing. Interesting, yes, but amazing, no.
I read this book the first time years ago when I was writing my thesis. This 2nd read through was more of a skim through for my dissertation. The reason Powell, Farrar, and Cohen got my 5 stars is because 30 years later what they wrote is still applicable and their observations/research have stood the test of time. The last portion of the book, th
Rebecca
This book was recommended to me by my Advisor as a classic. What a great metaphor: the American high school as Shopping Mall. Some might think this book is dated, but it is still very applicable to today's high schools.
Mark
Mark added it
Nov 27, 2014
James
James added it
Oct 11, 2014
Lynn M
Lynn M marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kellie Peavler
Kellie Peavler marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jess Caron
Jess Caron marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Aleks Veselovsky
Aleks Veselovsky marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 05, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
James
James added it
Mar 25, 2012
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 06, 2011
Lessons from Privilege: The American Prep School Tradition I Can Go Home Again b y Arthur Gray Powell Uncertain Profession A Passion for Learning