Tietam Brown

Tietam Brown

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  769 ratings  ·  48 reviews
If you�re one of those crying-to-your-shrink-cause-your-childhood-was-SO-hard type of people, you should probably read #1 New York Times Bestselling author Mick Foley�s fiction debut, Tietam Brown, for a reality check. Even if you�re not one of them, stop your whining and pick up the damn thing anyway.

Atietam �Andy� Brown is a seventeen year-old with a busted han...more
Published September 14th 2004 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tietam Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tietam Brown

Patrick
Antietam Brown, aka Andy, the teen protagonist, is a true-blue coming-of-age character, falling in love for the first time, trying to fit in at a new school — and readers will root for him. But his is a hardcore life where normal rules don't apply. Broken bones are plenty here, but the injury count also includes a severed head, an amputated ear, lots of smashed teeth, an ear ripped off, and more blood than found in most horror novels. Sexual violence is just as prevalent, mostly rape, but even m...more
Andy
There is something innocent about a former wrestler writing fiction. Something kind, unexpected and altogether surreal, but one thing I can say is that Mick Foley does it with some grace and enjoyment. Make no mistake this book is fucked up beyond belief, but it is and was an enjoyable fucked up. A cringe inducing, jaw dropping, eye popping out of their heads, fucked up. The writing is not impossible. The story is easy enough to understand. The reality of the story... well, life can be fucked up...more
Amber
This was a pretty good read. It is a coming of age story about a young boy named andy who tries to fit in at school, fall in love, and survive life with his sex-crazed crude father tietam brown. How can he when he only has one ear and one functioning hand? Will he survive without unleashing his dark side? Read the book and find out. This is WWE star Mick Foley's debut fiction novel and I enjoyed it.
Tommy
I'm not going to blow smoke up your rear, and tell you that this is the greatest book of all time. That said, it's a backhanded compliment to hear somebody say "that's a pretty good book, for a wrestler."

It's a pretty good book for a first-time novelist. It's a tale of isolation and loneliness, and I'd daresay it comes from a very personal place for Mick Foley.

There are corny jokes interspersed, and I don't care for them. I think it showed Mick's lack of confidence in the material, which was str...more
Donald Armfield
Disturbing, Heartwarming, a brutal masterpiece!

Tietam Brown has lived a life of lonely and not feeling loved. The ones who did love him was torn away. The rage that built inside him came out in furies that just left him in trouble. The life story of this boy will bring laughter and tears.

Attention wrestling fans: I believe that some of the description used for father and son came from Mick Foley's wrestler "Dude Love" and "Mankind"

Overall this is a great read the "RAGE" chapters are a recommend...more
Chris C.
Apr 18, 2008 Chris C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who enjoys the work of Joe Meno
This is by far one of the scariest books I've ever read -- probably because of how real the story is including the violence portrayed. I have this weird feeling that the story contains bits and pieces of the author, Mick Foley's (wrestling's Mankind, Cactus Jack, etc), life embedded within, however that is totally unsubstantiated. It is a shame that this book never made it to Trade paperback as I think it would have had a much longer life. (I stand corrected, apparently it is now available in pa...more
Bobby
Apr 21, 2009 Bobby rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wrestling fans
Shelves: fiction
Tietam Brown is an intense roller coaster ride of a first novel by Mick Foley. It is competently and entertainingly written for the most part, well-paced, and held my attention throughout.

The story is a typical sentimental coming-of-age story about a teenage boy and his first love, with the usual subplots detailing his personality conflicts with family members, teachers, and classmates, but the sentimentality and sweetness is tempered by many vivid descriptions of extreme violence and appalling...more
Jake Hainey
This one must have been a hard sell, a debut novel about a disabled teenager with a sexual abusive father written by a man best known for being thrown twenty feet from the top of a steel cage and knocking a tooth out through his nose. But a troublesome job for the marketing department is nothing but a joy for the reader as Tietam Brown. Is. Fantastic.
Those familiar with Foley will know that prior to this novel he had already completed two autobiographies, Have a nice Day: A tale of blood and swe...more
Michael Ferrari
Despite your take on the “sport,” Mick Foley may be one of the best things to ever happen to professional wrestling. This opinion isn’t derived from Foley’s legendary prowess in the ring, but rather from the fact that if a man as intelligent and articulate as Foley sees value in such a thing, than surely there is something to be said about pro wrestling. The kind of poignancy someone like Foley adds to the spectacle of professional wrestling isn’t necessarily foreign—especially with films like “...more
Mark Stalcup
Mick Foley, a great guy and a fine writer better known for being a pro wrestler, kind of is between The Rock and a hard place for this novel: If he weren't famous for his time in the WWF, many would have never read it; however, the fact he was means a fine first novel can't get the fair reading it deserves from many. Most will focus on the bloody violence, and there is some, but it's not the main focus: What is, is a surprising sweetness and what feels very much to be an accurate take on a teena...more
Frances Padilla
I have no idea how one thinks up a story like this, but good job!
This was the first book (and one of few actually) to make me cry. Mind you I was 15 when I first read it, but still.

But the tears are not just from the heartbreak of how TB is treated,there is also a delightful humor, which some call "cheesy". I think it's a good kind of cheesy.

I bought this book at an author signing when it came out and Foley looked at my dad and said "Not sure you want her to read this..." my dad laughed and sa...more
Matthew Armitstead
After reading one of Mick Foley's autobiographies and hearing alot of good reviews for his novel I was looking forward to reading this book, unfortunately I was disappointed.

The book starts of well but falls apart towards the end with characterizations taking drastic turns for almost no reason and alot of the climax feels like it was tacked on in rewrites to make it more exciting.

But my main problem with the book was the main character (who is clearly based on the author) being portrayed as a go...more
Steve Beeson
A dark, disturbing, and powerfully heartbreaking coming-of-age story. Lots of twists and unexpected turns. A surprisingly heartfelt and eloquent debut novel from someone who formerly got bodyslammed onto thumbtacks for a living.
Alan
Written by a world wrestling federation veteran, this book focuses on an outcast young boy whose father is obsessed with sex and who after being given up near birth after the death of his mother runs through a series of abusive foster homes and Boy's School. Not very well written. Not too deep. Actually, I finished it and it was a complete waste of my time. Puerile, inconsistent, random changes in characters. This book had no redeeming values.
Samantha
I was pleasently shocked with the outstanding quality of this story. Written by former WWE superstar Mick Foley, this book is a a coming of age story that should be likend to The Catcher in the Rye or The Lord of the Flies. Gritty, dark and full of angst, this story delves where 1950's American Lit just wouldn't dare to go. Clever, and very well written for a book by someone who has made a career out of being smacked with steel chairs.
Fin
I know this is a childrens book but then again so is Curious incident and that was very good. This just annoyed me. I needed to finish the book and it was so short that it was fine but I felt every page turn. It flits between being a kids book and then introducing slight adult themes that you're not quite sure who it's aimed at. I am being a bit harsh I suppose but still slightly wound me up reading it.
Courtney
YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! Unless you are easily offended, or like your world sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops tinged. The last half of this book is really heavy, and hard to read...but the characters in this book are phenomenal, even though over the top. Although Antietam Brown is a monster, you see how people easily gravitated to him, which says a lot about Foley's writing.
Scott Springer
my wife has been trying to get me to read this for a couple of years because I'm a big fan of Mick Foley's autobiographies. I kept putting it off, but I started reading it the other day on my lunch break and was really sucked right into the story. Burned through the first 100 pages in about 50 minutes and I really am impressed.
allison
Recommended to me by Chanesaw a little while back, based on our shared affinity for Joe Meno. Foley can't write as well as Meno--not by a country mile--but they do share that kind of violent/downtrodden/coming-of-age sensibility. The characters are engaging, and it was an enjoyable enough read while I was home sick in bed.
Nina
I loved this coming of age book. The characters were weird and the writing style funny. Pro wrestlers are artists as Michael pointed out, so he wasn't surprised that this guy wrote a book. The main character puts into words so well and so deprecatingly daily situations regarding love and life.
Cathy
Wow, totally unexpected! After reading his nonfiction work, I didn't expect to completely lose Mick Foley in his main character, but Andy is amazingly vivid, and the supporting cast also jumps out from the pages. I read this book in about 2 1/2 hours, and couldn't stop until I'd finished!
Danielle
This book was terrible. I found it crude, graphic, and just a bit much. I'm sure there are people out there who might like this book, but I wasn't one of them. Mick Foley - in my opinion - is much better suited to write non-fiction books about wrestling.
Simon C
An odd mixture of themes and ideas that are certainly original but left me wondering what the point of it all really was. Foley is an engaging writer as he proved in his autobiographies and this was readable and enjoyable if not outstanding for me.
Terrence
Not bad, not great - I'm glad I read it. Foley has a very easy style - his novel writing is as comfortable and conversational as his memoirs. This is a coming of age story with some odd elements. I'm not sure I liked the ending.
Davy
This book is one of my favorites. It grabs you from start to finish. You find yourself rooting for young Andy as you follow his tough life. The end is a little sad but also fitting. I love this book and truly think it should be a movie.
Dale
Mick Foley surprised me with this one. I didn't expect much from a novel written by a wrestler, but this was a pretty decent read. It was brutal at times, and was loaded with cringe-inducing scenes, but I would recommend the book.
bigmuzz
quite the opposite of what i was expecting from mick foley, but a very pleasant surprise. this is a real novel, and a very good one at that. at times very sad and dark, and other times funny and uplifting.
Mr. Pease
Shockingly good fiction from wrestling's resident writer. Tietam's story is very graphic, and may not appeal to non-wrestling fans, but the writing is surprisingly good, and can be enjoyed by anyone.
Sherrie
Mick Foley's first novel is disturbing but engrossing, I originally read it when it was released several years ago but will be re-reading it this year.
Mike
One of the most twisted books I've ever read. That being said...I loved it. Just as good & twisted as any Chuck Palahniuk book.

• Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
  • Are We There Yet?: Tales from the Never-Ending Travels of WWE Superstars
  • Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story
  • Batista Unleashed (Wwe)
  • A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
  • The Stone Cold Truth
  • The Death of WCW: Wrestlecrap and Figure Four Weekly Present . . .
  • Ric Flair: To Be the Man
  • Controversy Creates Cash
  • See A Grown Man Cry/Now Watch Him Die
  • Buddha Baby
  • The Hardy Boyz: Exist 2 Inspire
Mick Foley grew up on Long Island, New York. He is the author of the genre-defining #1 New York Times bestsellers: Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling and Have a Nice Day!: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks. Foley has wrestled professionally for over fifteen years and was the three-time World Wrestling Entertainment Champion. He currently wrestles on TNA. Foley lives with his wi...more
More about Mick Foley...
Have a Nice Day!: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks Foley is Good: And the Real World is Faker Than Wrestling The Hardcore Diaries Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal Scooter