Start by marking “Dance of Knives” as Want to Read:
Dance of Knives

Dance of Knives

Vancouver in the twenty-second century is a city of stark contrasts, divided between its prospering Guild citizens and the starving descendants of American refugees who fled ecological catastrophe and political chaos decades ago.

Newcomer Klale Renhardt is struggling to survive on the half drowned, ungoverned island of Downtown, where every type of trade is controlled by to
Published by Tom Doherty Associates (first published June 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dance of Knives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance of Knives

Melanie
May 31, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This book. It has nearly left me speechless. I picked it up for the basic plot setup alone: post-apocalyptic Vancouver's downtown core is swarming with criminals, gangs, and people just trying to survive. A ragtag group of friends working at the KlonDyke (is that not the single greatest name for a lesbian bar??) band together to overthrow a dangerous enemy and attempt to save a human 'tool' who has been enslaved against his will.

I expected lots of action and badassery from everyone involved, bu
Michael
Oct 11, 2010 Michael rated it it was amazing
McMahon is a master at letting a story unfold. The way she moves from one character's perspective to another's eliminates all sense of "telling." The world she builds is convincing and real, in part because you see only bits and pieces. She does not fill in expository details. The reader is often begging for information and wondering about stuff that, well, if it isn't part of the immediate experience, is not revealed.

In Dance of Knives and its sequel, Second Childhood, she paints a believeable
Amber
Aug 31, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
I should start by saying that I've known the author personally for many years, so my review of this one could be a little biased. That being said, I do really enjoy this book, and with the sequel just recently released I decided to give it another read, now six years later. Still enjoyed it. McMahon makes this one a page-turner ending most chapters on a cliffhanger. The setting of a futuristic downtown Vancouver is also very appealing, since I'm familiar with the location in it's current state.
Clint Budd
Oct 10, 2010 Clint Budd rated it really liked it
As modern fiction retreats into small rooms built of present-tense neuroses visionaries like McMahon are crafting a literature for the future. She writes hard-edged fiction that is ripe with ideas, gracefully written and appropriate to this age of instantaneous communication and forms of mind-control previously undreamed-of. Beauty and the Beast have never been so apropos.
Debra
Sep 30, 2012 Debra rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Science fiction novel about Vancouver in the 22nd century and the things people have to do to stay alive. Story centers around a "tool" named Blade and the attemmpt to save him and turn him back into simon, the person he used to be. I read this book solely because of a book challenge at my library. I found the book to be quality writing, but did not care for it on a personal level.
Chris
Jul 31, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I'm maybe 75 pages from the end of the book, and so far a pretty good story. It's a fairly plausible post-apocalyptic tale, with interesting characters (mostly female) and....warning here...fairly heavy lesbian undertones.
Dan Edwards
Dan Edwards rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2010
William Howe
William Howe rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Kelly
Mar 15, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Want to read again!
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
May 27, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2008
Kali
Kali rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Randall Sutton
Randall Sutton rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2015
Ceallach
Ceallach rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Jillian Hord
Jillian Hord rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Alison Sinclair
Alison Sinclair rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
James Leningrad
James Leningrad rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Flannery Campbell
Flannery Campbell rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Michael T
Michael T rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2010
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Chris LaVigne
Chris LaVigne rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Laura Houle
Laura Houle rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Min Hebi
Min Hebi rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2012
Tina Thompson
Tina Thompson rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Mumblelard
Mumblelard rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Ouranosaurus
Ouranosaurus rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2010