Start by marking “A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories” as Want to Read:
A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories

A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories

In this gorgeous collection featuring eight of Kipling's JUST SO STORIES, each tale is illustrated by a different leading contemporary artist.

How did the rude Rhinoceros get his baggy skin? How did a 'satiably curious Elephant change the lives of his kin evermore? First told aloud to his young daughter ("O my Best Beloved"), Rudyard Kipling's inspired answers to these and
Published October 7th 2004 by Candlewick (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories

Holly Berk
Mar 30, 2014 Holly Berk rated it really liked it
Shelves: berk-grades-3-5
This book is full of wonderful stories that both children and adults will love! All of these short folklore stories are about animals and provide fun explanations for their features or behaviors. These stories are written with cultural ideas and words, making them even more interesting to read. The book is beautifully illustrated and keeps the reader hooked throughout all of the stories.

In a 3-5 classroom, this would be a wonderful addition to a collection of books for a folklore unit. Students
K.C.
Jul 16, 2012 K.C. rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Kipling, Rudyard. (2004). A collection of Rudyard Kipling's just so stories. Cambridge: Candlewick Press.

Category: Modern fantasy, pourquoi tales

This is a beautiful version of 8 of Kipling's well-known stories, with eight different illustrators. They are original stories inspired by the fables from India he heard as a child and international stories to explain a variety of things in nature, including how camel got his hump, how leopard got his spots, the beginning of armadillo and more. Clare Me
Melanie
Jun 13, 2014 Melanie rated it it was ok
My 4 and 7 year olds enjoyed this enough that they kept wanting me to come back to it and read another one of the stories. The idea was fun....how the elephant got his trunk, how the cheetah got his spots, etc., etc.
However, the stories just seemed really drawn out and like they were trying to make them longer than they needed to be.
Kristine
Nov 11, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing
I suppose this was read to me when I was young. Or maybe I read it to my daughters when they were very young...it felt familiar. As I started to read it this year, I had to stop and back up and read it aloud. It is truly meant for reading aloud to really savor the words and Kipling's creativity.
Michelle
Dec 20, 2007 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidsandteenbooks
This collection of Rudyard Kipling's famous stories of how the camel got his hump are illustrated by various artists (which is what attracted me to it). My kids very much enjoy listening to these stories and anticipating what's going to happen. I tried reading these stories when I was young but found them boring myself...

Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories
Chris
Nov 04, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
3.5 stars My daughter and I both enjoyed these stories. They are all rather silly stories in the "How did X get to be Y" vein. I've always been a sucker for stories of this type, and these are fairly clever. They do show their age, and their are some parts that don't exactly align with modern sensibilities - but nothing so bad that a sidebar conversation with my daughter couldn't straighten out.
JQ
Jul 07, 2011 JQ rated it liked it
The writing is so descriptive and rhythmical that the first time through was difficult to follow. It didn't bug my son (age 5). The second time through we both enjoyed it. Twice was enough for me but my son picks these stories over traditional fairy tales.
Deanna
Dec 05, 2009 Deanna rated it did not like it
I've tried to like this book so many times, but I just can't get it done. The kids enjoy it more than I do. Sorry Mr. Kipling.
Relyn
Jul 10, 2011 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: story lovers
Shelves: audiobooks
The excellent audiobook version I've been listening to features readers like Jack Nicholson and Danny Glover. Oh man are they good!
Aug 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids, fiction
Reading to the kids. Some of the stories I remember from my childhood, others I either never read or had forgotten. They were fun to read aloud.
Evelyn
Apr 04, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
I've never read these before, but I absolutely loved them! My kids are already asking to read this book again. These stories are lots of fun to read out loud.
CKE387
I liked the following stories in the collection:

How the Leopard Got His Spots

The Beginning of the Armadillos

The Cat That Walked by Himself

The Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo
Carissa
I remember liking these stories when I was a kid, but to read them now is a trip. There are such repeated phrases ('specially), words that make no sense, and quite a bit of elephant spanking.
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
laura e eldred
laura e eldred rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Artemis Ash
Artemis Ash rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Tiara
Tiara rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Bindu
Bindu rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Irina
Irina rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Molly
Jun 19, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv, read-aloud
I loved these stories as a child, so I read them to my son... and he loved them too!
Lindsay Bolton
Lindsay Bolton rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Michael Xavier
Michael Xavier rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2009
Yana Gaskell
Yana Gaskell rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
bleudalmatian
bleudalmatian rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Stevenj
Stevenj rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2007
Andrea Bolton
Andrea Bolton rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2013
  • Pocahontas
  • The War Between the Vowels and the Consonants
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine
  • The Gentleman Bug
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...