Start by marking “A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories” as Want to Read:
A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories

A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this gorgeous collection featuring eight of Kipling's JUST SO STORIES, each tale is illustrated by a different leading contemporary artist.

How did the rude Rhinoceros get his baggy skin? How did a 'satiably curious Elephant change the lives of his kin evermore? First told aloud to his young daughter ("O my Best Beloved"), Rudyard Kipling's inspired answers to these and
Published October 7th 2004 by Candlewick (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories

Holly Berk
This book is full of wonderful stories that both children and adults will love! All of these short folklore stories are about animals and provide fun explanations for their features or behaviors. These stories are written with cultural ideas and words, making them even more interesting to read. The book is beautifully illustrated and keeps the reader hooked throughout all of the stories.

In a 3-5 classroom, this would be a wonderful addition to a collection of books for a folklore unit. Students
K.C.
Kipling, Rudyard. (2004). A collection of Rudyard Kipling's just so stories. Cambridge: Candlewick Press.

Category: Modern fantasy, pourquoi tales

This is a beautiful version of 8 of Kipling's well-known stories, with eight different illustrators. They are original stories inspired by the fables from India he heard as a child and international stories to explain a variety of things in nature, including how camel got his hump, how leopard got his spots, the beginning of armadillo and more. Clare Me
Melanie
My 4 and 7 year olds enjoyed this enough that they kept wanting me to come back to it and read another one of the stories. The idea was fun....how the elephant got his trunk, how the cheetah got his spots, etc., etc.
However, the stories just seemed really drawn out and like they were trying to make them longer than they needed to be.
Michelle BF
This collection of Rudyard Kipling's famous stories of how the camel got his hump are illustrated by various artists (which is what attracted me to it). My kids very much enjoy listening to these stories and anticipating what's going to happen. I tried reading these stories when I was young but found them boring myself...

Collection of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories
JQ
The writing is so descriptive and rhythmical that the first time through was difficult to follow. It didn't bug my son (age 5). The second time through we both enjoyed it. Twice was enough for me but my son picks these stories over traditional fairy tales.
Carissa
I remember liking these stories when I was a kid, but to read them now is a trip. There are such repeated phrases ('specially), words that make no sense, and quite a bit of elephant spanking.
CKE387
I liked the following stories in the collection:

How the Leopard Got His Spots

The Beginning of the Armadillos

The Cat That Walked by Himself

The Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo
Evelyn
I've never read these before, but I absolutely loved them! My kids are already asking to read this book again. These stories are lots of fun to read out loud.
Reading to the kids. Some of the stories I remember from my childhood, others I either never read or had forgotten. They were fun to read aloud.
Relyn
Jul 10, 2011 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: story lovers
Shelves: audiobooks
The excellent audiobook version I've been listening to features readers like Jack Nicholson and Danny Glover. Oh man are they good!
Deanna
I've tried to like this book so many times, but I just can't get it done. The kids enjoy it more than I do. Sorry Mr. Kipling.
Molly
I loved these stories as a child, so I read them to my son... and he loved them too!
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Coda
Coda added it
May 03, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What are the eight stories? 1 1 Apr 24, 2014 10:23AM
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous