Start by marking “The Good Fight: Why Liberals---and Only Liberals---Can Win the War on Terror and Make America Great Again” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this passionate, provocative book, Peter Beinart offers a bold new vision and sounds the call for liberals to revive the spirit that once swept America and inspired the world.
Published January 29th 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Fight

The American Conservative
'This book has to be read as part of the thrust, parry, and jostle going on within the milky political spiral that is the Democratic Party. The author, Peter Beinart, is a war Democrat. His allegiance is to the Lieberman faction in the party. “Just as Vietnam turned liberals against the cold war, Iraq has now turned them [Howard Dean-type liberals] against the war on terror. America badly needs an alternative vision,” he writes, “for fighting global jihad. And yet the liberalism emerging today d...more
Ezzy
Mostly, this book is out of date for the current political climate. The first half seemed to be a convoluted history of the democratic party, including asides for every small political faction that might have been an important player at some point, but has zero relevance for today. Although a history of the Democratic party would be a book I'd be interested in reading, this was not what this book was supposed to be and wasn't particularly interesting.
I did think the points made in the second hal...more
Steve Mount
A bit dense, but still a good history lesson and reinforcement of what makes liberal values so important to the United States today and in the past. I used the title as the title of my first Liberally Speaking column.
Doris
This was an interesting book with a well thought out line of thought. The overall lean seemed more to the right than the left, but overall it was good and concisely written.
Danielle
Feb 18, 2011 Danielle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, own
I bought this book when I attended Beinart's lecture at Syracuse University this week. He was so intelligent, and well-informed, and well-spoken, his book just has to be good.
I think I might have found a little bit of optimism that we, as a country, don't have to go to hell in a hand basket.
Arlette
As a liberal of the old school, I tend to agree with this book. Might deserve another star.
Patrick
Jun 03, 2007 Patrick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: liberals
I didn't really listen to it on CD...I just couldn't find the print version.
Menz
clinton and obama camps...please read this book.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Rachel Aunspaugh
Rachel Aunspaugh marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Melyssa
Melyssa marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Jesselle
Jesselle marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Crugee
Crugee added it
Dec 26, 2013
Shaun
Shaun marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Adam Myers
Adam Myers marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Peter Beinart is the author of The Crisis of Zionism and The Icarus Syndrome: A History of American Hubris and The Good Fight. A former editor of The New Republic, he is an associate professor of journalism and political science at the City University of New York, a senior fellow at the New America Foundation, and the senior political writer for The Daily Beast. He lives with his family in New Yor...more
More about Peter Beinart...
The Crisis of Zionism The Icarus Syndrome: A History of American Hubris The Good Fight: Terror and the Liberal Spirit The Good Fight: Terror and the Liberal Spirit The Good Fight: Terror and the Liberal Spirit