Start by marking “Malka Mai” as Want to Read:
Malka Mai

Malka Mai

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  529 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
When the round-ups start in the Polish village, Malka's mother knows she must get her daughters across the Hungarian border to safety--a place where Jews can live in peace. But escape proves harder than they could have ever imagined. Raw and bleeding feet, bad weather, fear and homesickness fill their nights, until little Malka falls very ill, and must be left behind to be ...more
Published January 31st 2004 by Beltz GmbH, Julius (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Malka Mai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malka Mai

Zoë
May 09, 2014 Zoë rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so incredible, but it was heartbreaking to watch Malka lose her childhood.
LH Johnson
Hannah Mai and her two daughters, Minna and Malka, live in Lawoczne in Poland. It's 1943, life for Jews is becoming precarious and so Hannah takes the difficult decision to leave their home and escape over the mountains to the refuge of Hungary. On the journey, Malka, the youngest daughter, becomes separated from the others and it's from that point that the book splits into two separate narratives - the story of Malka, and the story of her mother and Minna.

Written originally in German and transl
Elina
Mar 06, 2015 Elina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Kevin
Feb 07, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
I seriously can't get into this book. I've tried, but I keep getting too bored.

This one just isn't for me.
Emily
May 12, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is based loosely on a true story, Malka Mai was taken from Poland by her mother during the war however being so young at the time she doesn’t remember and has suppressed a lot of her memories.

The story alternates between Malka’s point of view and her mothers. Malka doesn’t understand what is going on around her but because she is young and pretty she does when the affections of some who take her in briefly. In the end however she is still left hungry and alone. Hannah on the other han
Matthew Perry
Mar 09, 2012 Matthew Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Malka, a novel by Mirjam Pressler, is about a girl who becomes lost and alone, and long separated from her family. Hannah Mai, her mother, is frantic about losing her and does everything in her ability to gain her back. The Mai family lived in Poland, but had to move to Hungary to escape the invading Nazis. The character's seem real, and have a lot of depth. Malka is shy, prefers to be alone, and wants to feel satisfied. Hannah is a stressed mother who worries about Malka, longing to know where ...more
Karen Almaraz
Malka Speak, 2005, 288pp;, $
Mirjam Pressler 0142402699
Lost Love: a book review of Malka

A life without your family can be very painful. Not being able to be with her or give her a hug is harsh. Especially, when you are going through a though time period like the Holocaust, and when you are ill. This is the life of seven year old Malka.

In the book, Malka, seven year old, Malka is living in a world full of fear and violence. As the Nazis are trying to roundup Jews, her mother wants to escape from
Linda
Jun 12, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
* 3.5/5

1939, Nazi Germany invades and occupies Poland. Anti-Semitic laws wash over and take strong roots within the country. Those of Jewish ancestry are no longer regarded as Polish citizens. They become othered and are marked by the Star of David. 1942 – 1945, mass “operations”, “relocations”, and murder of the Jewish community begins. This is the period we find the Mai family in.

The story begins in 1943. It’s about a mother’s (Hannah Mai) difficult decision to leave her youngest daughter (Ma
_book-lover98_
Aug 24, 2012 _book-lover98_ rated it really liked it
Inhalt:
Malka Mai ist 7 Jahre alt und die zweite Tochter der in Lawoczne angesehenen Ärztin Hanna Mai.Als eines Tages jedoch die Deutschen in Lawoczne einfallen,haben sie große Angst verschleppt zu werden.Doch ein Offizier hilft ihnen und gibt Hanna den Tipp,mit den Kindern über die Grenze zu fliehen.Doch auf dem Weg wird Malka krank und Hanna lässt Malka schweren Herzens auf einem Bauernhof zurück und zieht mit Malkas Schwester Minna weiter.Doch sie verspricht Malka,sie zurückzuholen.Malka jedoc
Lina_Cheira
I read this many year ago for school. I was about 13 or 14 at the time. It's the first book I ever read about the second world war. This story is based of the live of a woman Mirjam Pressler met.

This book broke me to pieces.
I remember sobbing so much my eyes got swollen.

It's been about 10 year since I've read it and I still remember the story clearly.
I think that says enough about the book.
Cassondra
This book is the story of a young girl fending for herself during the Holocaust in Poland. The story is more amazing because it is based on actual events. It becomes very dark and depressing near the end, but then, the Holocaust was dark and depressing. The amazing thing is that this woman, Malka, survived at all, and that just goes to show that Yahweh can do anything.
Lace
Oct 22, 2014 Lace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was wonderfully written and touching. The only reason I gave it four stars is because it was a bit difficult to get into at first. As someone who is fairly unfamiliar with some of the historical locations and background referenced in the book, it was hard to follow at times. Ultimately, though, it was a good read.
Jessica
Aug 02, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely seek out this kind of book, but when one does fall into my lap, I find myself hooked. I read this one in a few short days, and found myself quite emotional! It's a heartbreaking tale of one child's journey through the nazi era.
A well written picture of what it was like, the ghettos and the "relocation operations"
Ashley
I really enjoyed this. My heart ached the entire time. The writing was a bit stilted and awkward to me, but it was a translation from German. The characters of both Malka and Hannah were very real. I would love to know the rest of the story after resettlement, and how the family dynamic was. I looked up Malka Mai and just found the German Wiki page about the book.
Deb Mcintyre
This was an absorbing book that follows a Jewish family in Poland over a six month period in 1943-1944. It is based on the memories of the real Malka, who was 7-8 at the time of the story. It is told both through Malka's point of view and her mother's, so it is not necessarily a YA book. I'd recommend it for anyone age 12 and up who has an interest in the Holocaust. It especially shows how ordinary people - both Jews and Gentiles - did what they could in big and small ways to thwart Hitler's pla ...more
Vigh Piroska
Aug 02, 2013 Vigh Piroska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book on my shelf for a long time. I saw my parents reading it, when I was younger. Always wanted to read it, but they said I'm too young for it.
So when I was about 17 years old, I figured I can read it now and I'll understand it.
I already knew enough about the time when Hitler was killing the Jews, so I knew what should I expect.
It was an emotional book. I could never feel the same thing the girl felt throughout her days. But at the same time, I could feel it with her, the fear, t
Lauren
Dec 23, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the best books I have ever read. I could not stop reading it!
Aci
Jan 30, 2014 Aci rated it it was amazing
It's long ago since I read this book, but it was definitely one of the best! I could not stop reading...
Taylor
Jun 03, 2014 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, one of my favourite books.
Kate Stone
Apr 16, 2008 Kate Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in the Holocaust
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
This book was sad. The main characters in this book are Malka, who I believe is around six years old, and her mother Hannah who had to leave her youngest daughter behind on their escape (mistakenly thinking her daughter would be cared for).

This girls story is just sad. It's a realistic look at how hard times really were for people. Now, I know I wasn't there so I can't really say I know, but from what I've read and learned it seems this book is a little less sugar-coated than some holocaust book
Matie
Aug 22, 2015 Matie rated it liked it
3.5
Bri
This was a heartbreaking novel about the struggles of one family to stay alive and together during the holocaust. Malka's story is truly unique and I will always remember it.
Lcat
Jul 01, 2014 Lcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good. I think it was the best one for the project I did.
Desi
Jan 15, 2009 Desi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok wow! im the type of person that likes history, more specifically, i like to learn about the Holocaust. this book helped me imagine how tough it must have been for kids during that time.
it is a book that definitely gets you thanking those you love for all they've done and provided you with.
it is a MUST read
Mika Jay
Parts of the story lost me, and there were phrases here and there that I felt didn't flow with the surrounding words. I have to be honest, I wasn't super impressed with this book (not to say that it was bad, because it wasn't, not at all), but the poignancy of the ending at least pulled it through.
Sep 30, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While escaping Nazi-invaded Poland for the safety of Hungary with her mother and sister, Malka becomes very ill and must be left behind until her mother can return, but as time passes, Malka learns that she must rely on her own wits, strength, and courage to get her safely through the many dangers ahead.
Nadine Preibisch
Aug 02, 2009 Nadine Preibisch rated it really liked it
Malka Mai is a jewish girl. Her mother left with the other daughter Nazi-Germany, but Malka was sick and wasnt able to walk the long way. So she stayed. A man and a woman took care about the girl, but because she was jewish, she was put into a ghetto. There she was very alone...
Soapykitty
A sad good book about the holocaust through the eyes of a young Jewish girl whose mother abandons her after telling her that "'a child will always find a way to survive.'" I felt like I was right there with Malka throughout the book.A must read.
Kaelee
Jun 20, 2013 Kaelee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2013
I liked this book because it was set around one of my fsvorite times to study, the holocaust. there were some moments that I didn't get and had to read over and over before I understood, but over all it was a good book and I enjoyed reading it.
Kaelee
I liked this book because it was set around one of my favorite times to study, the holocaust. there were some moments that I didn't get and had to read over and over before I understood, but over all it was a good book and I enjoyed reading it.
Movie? 1 8 Jan 11, 2013 07:07PM
  • Devil in Vienna
  • Good Night, Maman
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
  • Room in the Heart
  • Destined to Live:  A True Story of a Child in the Holocaust
  • Behind the Secret Window
  • Stones in Water (Stones in Water, #1)
  • Daniel Half Human: And the Good Nazi
  • The Lost Childhood: A World War II Memoir
  • Run, Boy, Run
  • Escape: Children of the Holocaust
  • War Girls
German writer Mirjam Pressler is the author of several novels that have won awards in her native Germany and also received high praise from critics after being translated into English. In Malka and Halinka Pressler focuses on young Jewish protagonists who have been forced by fate to endure the Holocaust, while in Shylock's Daughter she returns readers to fifteenth-century Italy as she attempts to ...more
More about Mirjam Pressler...