Start by marking “Letters to a Young Lawyer” as Want to Read:
Letters to a Young Lawyer

Letters to a Young Lawyer

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  28 reviews
As defender of both the righteous and the questionable, Alan Dershowitz has become perhaps the most famous and outspoken attorney in the land. Whether or not they agree with his legal tactics, most people would agree that he possesses a powerful and profound sense of justice. In this meditation on his profession, Dershowitz writes about life, law, and the opportunities tha ...more
Published October 17th 2001 by Basic Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Young Lawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to a Young Lawyer

Becca
Jun 26, 2007 Becca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a young lawyer
this book was ok - prof. dershowitz reminds us of those life lessons necessary to be a good lawyer. ex. find a mentor, but dont follow that mentor blindly; try to find original ways to solve client problems that could help the greater good. a nice reminder of the part of being a lawyer that they don't teach you or train you for in law school. i thought dershowitz was preachy at points, but on the other hand, he's earned his right to be preachy. i wouldn't call it a vital read, but it's relativel ...more
Mike Hoffman
Wow was Dershowitz pissed off about the 2000 election! Its like he writes totally extemporaneously and everything had to do with how upset he was that the election was stolen. Then it was about the necessity for social justice and equality. Yes, we understand that you want to win at all costs, and that you sleep well at night under that ethic. However, there are still morally conflicted lawyers out here with severe concerns about the people the represent, the decisions that they have to make and ...more
Edith
Provocative ideas: defending the criminal defense law career, among some of Dershowitz's other notions such as the freedom of speech etc.

"For those of you who would censor in the name of political correctness, I urge you to look back to the history of the 1950s, when political correctness prevailed on campuses. But the people with the power to define what was correct in those days came from the right rather than from the left. McCarthyism was the 1950s version of today's political correctness, b
Matthew
Apr 27, 2010 Matthew rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: My Father
Shelves: law
Alan Dershowitz has very strong opinions about things and he is not afraid to tell you what they are. Defense attorneys should go right up to the line of what is ethical but prosecutors should not. Everyone deserves a vigorous defense no matter how big a scumbag they are, except for big corporations because defending them is like being a mouthpiece for the Mafia. Personal injury lawyers are heroes because they stand up for the little guy, but anyone who makes his living defending the big guy fro ...more
Leah
As much as I find Dershowit'z politics to be annoying (loud, militaristic), this was a pretty good book. Or well, the introductory chapters were pretty good: Dershowitz admits that that there isn't much to career advice except for how to get the career of the person giving the advice, and even then, even if you took all the same steps, it's unlikely you'd have the same life. All said, Dershowitz has definitely had an interesting life.
David
Dershowitz eloquently discusses the moral landscape of the legal profession in a manner accessible to a young lawyer (or anyone, for that matter.) Dersh's use of personal stories to highlight points he is making is highly effective, and the bite-size chapters make it all easy to digest. It's great to get the perspective of a long-standing defender of constitutional rights before embarking into a legal career.
Taylor
Good advice, but perhaps I don't share the author's cynacism for the America's criminal justice system. Very thought provoking and got me thinking about my goals and my interactions with attorneys every day.
kathy
Every aspiring lawyer, especially criminal lawyer, should read this book. Alan Dershowitz, in his typical no-nonsense style, lays out the cold hard facts: that in the pursuit of justice, you encounter corruption, politics, and enemies on a daily basis. There are no illusions here. This is reality. The best we can do is do what we do best. That is all the world can ask from us.
Tamara
This book is a great read for the eponymous young lawyer, especially if he or she intends to practice criminal defense. Alan Dershowitz's writing style is compelling and persuasive--as any good lawyer's should be--and although the book isn't particularly long, it leaves a lasting impression. If lawyers had souls, this book would be chicken soup for them.
Sam
For a random find from the Strand, this book was OK. Dershowitz is brutally honest about prevalent cheating, corruption, and outright immorality in the lawyer profession. His advice is not anything that I haven't heard before but I enjoyed reading his book for a sobering reminder of the profession I am about to enter.
Brian
Great insight into a trial lawyer's life and experiences. Gives practical advice not only on being a lawyer but on how the world of law interacts with the rest of life. Passes along conventional wisdom - be passionate, be ethical, love your job - in an entertaining and quick-reading fashion.
Sandy
I think the book is a great read for those who are thinking about law school. It's realistic and yet within that perspective he is not entirely pessimistic. It's an light read and he appears to have witty sarcasm that stands out.
Kyle
A little too scattershot to be an authoritative advice book. Also a bit too much material that is specific to the practice of criminal law. Still a good read for pre-1L's and maybe the rising 3L trying chart a career path.
Chris
a great book for disillusioning law students and lawyers. way to go, dersh. no, srsly, i actually liked this book. alan tells it like it is...probably. i have no idea. i'm not a lawyer. yet(?)
Adrienne
Not surprising, really, that an "advice" book by a prominent attorney includes bits of wisdom such as "don't follow advice" and anecdotes of how accomplished the author thinks himself to be. Alas.
Vanessa
Heh.

I was amused to receive this as a gift. Kind of maudlin and silly, but Dershowitz can rant with the best of them. He takes some cheap shots that I found entirely gratifying.
Izwan Z
Excellent read. As a student of law, I wish I've read this book sooner. Tells you a lot about the lawyering profession and practical tips on managing expectations.
wenshuren
As this is a non-fiction, hence to me this book is more exciting and more thrill than reading John Grisham's fictions.
Katherine
I don't care what anyone says about Dershowitz - the man's coonviction is amazing. See how he justifies criminal defense.
Jeff Doucette
Short and he reuses some material from some of his earlier works, but still offers some good, though general advice.
Andrea
The author was one of the lawyers on the OJ Simpson defense team and a very insightful author.
Will
So far (and premature) it, and Mr. Dershowitz's writing style, fascinate and edify me!
Jeff
Jan 03, 2009 Jeff is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This guy is real smart. I think he might have defended O.J. Simpson.
Judy
great for any young person beginning their career.
Marie
It was very cheap at the Strand. I couldn't finish it.
Tracey
Teying to find inspiration as I reenter my career.
Michael
Great insight. Well written. Thanks.
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Pietro Orlandi
Pietro Orlandi marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • The Winning Brief: 100 Tips for Persuasive Briefing in Trial and Appellate Courts
  • Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges
  • The Buffalo Creek Disaster: How the survivors of one of the worst disasters in coal-mining history brought suit against the coal company--and won
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School
  • Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • My Life in Court
  • The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...
The Case for Israel Just Revenge Reversal of Fortune: Inside the Von Bulow Case America on Trial: Inside the Legal Battles That Transformed Our Nation Chutzpah

“I have always considered "Pascal's Wager" a questionable bet to place, since any God worth believing in would prefer an honest agnostic to a calculating hypocrite.” 25 likes
“The first rule for escaping prison in the United States is always having someone more important than yourself to incriminate.” 2 likes