Start by marking “A Persistent Peace: One Man's Struggle for a Nonviolent World” as Want to Read:
A Persistent Peace: One Man's Struggle for a Nonviolent World

A Persistent Peace: One Man's Struggle for a Nonviolent World

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
All of us say we want peace, but only a few are willing to prove it. John Dear, SJ, has been arrested more than seventy-five times. He has spent more than a year of his life in jail. He has been mocked by an armed and angry U.S. National Guard battalion standing outside the doors to his New Mexico parish. All this because he so fervently believes in peace.
A Persistent Peac
Published August 1st 2008 by Loyola Press

To ask other readers questions about A Persistent Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Persistent Peace

Bishop Bergland
A fascinating book. There are some factual errors, one worth noting is that he blames current Presiding Bishop Jefferts-Schori for a cowardly decision by the then Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church Edmund Browning in 1995. It's not a huge error, Presiding Bishops of the Episcopal Church seem to excel at cowardly decisions, still the blame should fall on the correct coward.

Fr. Dear challenges the cowardliness we all share when we fail to decry all war as evil. Our reasons are many, quite of
Jim Baesler
Father John Dear chronicles personal relationships in his life with the themes of God's love, nonviolence, and peace from 1978-2005...many times as i read i felt tears welling up at the injustice, ill-treatment, craziness, loneliness, irony, despair, hate, and evil of the world...but also, over and over, John Dear shows us that there is love and hope in a person's commitment to forgive and bring healing and peace to the violence in the world...while i drew much inspiration from this book, i also ...more
Dale
Mar 30, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok

Troubling

Let me start this review by stating the following in clear and unequivocal terms:

I have no problem whatsoever with people who protest and demonstrate for the things they believe in, especially those who do it like Rev. John Dear, who proceeds with the understanding that there is a possibility of arrest and detention as he protests for peace and against social inequity.

The positives of A Persistent Peace: One Man's Struggle for a Nonviolent World :

It is written in an engaging style,
Jun 04, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: social-justice, 2009
This was an inspiring and thought-provoking book about the life of a Jesuit peacemaker, a passionate man willing to take a stand (often all the way to prison) for his beliefs: that war and violence in any circumstance is evil and will only bring more violence, never solve problems or usher in peace. From organizing protests against the contra wars, to participating in the Ploughshares movement (based on the biblical premise of beating swords into ploughshares, which in practice meant destroying ...more
Raborn
Feb 17, 2015 Raborn rated it it was amazing
Amazing stories of a life lived for peace and nonviolence! John Dear has been to the edge of what it means to resist the empire. Let it not be said of him that he is merely a naive idealist. His faith in nonviolence has been tested in the crucible of war zones, prison, death row, the slums, and the Pentagon itself. Fantastic.
Mike
May 02, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Autobiography of one of the true heroes of our time. John Dear is a Jesuit priest and a peace activist who has devoted his life to the cause of peace and justice. He has been arrested numerous times for protesting policies of the US government that run counter to Christ's command that we love our neighbor as ourselves (including spending seven months in prison after a protest at an Air Force base in North Carolina) and has also spent time in Central America with the oppressed people of that part ...more
Therese  A.  Brink
Dec 20, 2015 Therese A. Brink rated it liked it
A good man, an interesting story, but I deducted a star for his self-aggrandizement and exageration.
Alex Decker
Dec 07, 2013 Alex Decker rated it it was amazing
I don't think that I have ever had a book open my eyes quite the way this one did. The world would be a much better place if instead of getting sound bites from Palin & Cruz etc we got them from him. Wait, please understand this isn't true political book. In our wedge culture where we like everything defined and branded, Dear most likely falls into far left category. He speaks for a world without war and violence, so if you consider that liberal then yeah it is. But, if you want a book that ...more
Julie Ryno
Dec 11, 2014 Julie Ryno rated it really liked it
Challenging
Dec 13, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I didn't finish this before I had to return it but what I read I enjoyed. I hope to finish it someday.
It's the story of a Jesuit priest who has devoted his life to nonviolence. His sincerity and love for Jesus is very touching. I admire people who really devote their lives to getting rid of war. Really, why are we still having wars? I don't understand....I don't like it.
So it's inspiring to read about someone who really tries hard to promote peace and stop wars and violence.
Dona
May 04, 2013 Dona rated it it was amazing
I read this book in when it first came out. It was one of those books that, literally, jumped off the shelf for me.
It is extremely well written an inspired me beyond words. Even if one is not into the peace movement, I feel they can take many positives from it.
The basic message for me is to be passionate about life, your path, the beliefs you carry.
Beth Davis
Dec 08, 2012 Beth Davis rated it it was amazing
Always passionate without being preachy, Father Dear shares his own struggles with faith and staying the course for peace in a world consumed by violence. I saw him speak 10 years ago, and his is still one of the people in the world I admire most today. Definitely recommend this to anyone interested in non-violent activism.
Debbie
Nov 18, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing
What a truely blessed and gifted man. I found both this story about his commitment to the pursuit of peace not only in his daily life but throughout the world to be truely awe inspiring. Here is a man who daily walks his heart and his convictions to be more like the nonviolent Jesus.
Linda
Dec 29, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
I found this compelling. We need more people like him...
faeriecrone
Sep 13, 2011 faeriecrone rated it liked it
This book is like an insider's history of the peace movement in the U.S. and abroad. While I do not agree with Dear's paradigm, I agree with his actions. GAndhi has many active followers and that is encouraging.
Kathleen
Nov 03, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this entire book in two days. Lots of messages still surfacing for me. In a world that seems so upside down to me much of the time, this is a story of hope and faith.
John
Dec 16, 2009 John rated it really liked it
The story of a Calling and considering what would Jesus or a God really do when faced with adversity, violence and poverty. (My Complete book review on Amazon)
Rich
Mar 22, 2009 Rich rated it liked it
Interesting. It really makes you think about what is worth protesting for, and how one person can make a difference
Ann-marie Lemire
Sep 07, 2012 Ann-marie Lemire rated it it was amazing
John Dear is a gift to our World!
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Carl Holmes
Carl Holmes rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Cherie
Cherie added it
Jan 22, 2016
Felicien
Felicien rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Bila;
Bila; marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Meeklyreader
Meeklyreader rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Find the good : Do you think living a peaceful life can change the world? 1 1 Jul 06, 2016 07:29AM
Father John Dear (The Society of Jesus) is an internationally known voice for peace and nonviolence. A Jesuit priest, pastor, peacemaker, organizer, lecturer, and retreat leader, he is the author/editor of 30 books, including his autobiography, “A Persistent Peace.” In 2008, John was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

From 1998 until December 2000, he served as the exec