Start by marking “Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views” as Want to Read:
Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views

Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Because it is conspicuously absent from more than one early Greek manuscript, the final section of the gospel of Mark (16:9-20) that details Christ’s resurrection remains a constant source of debate among serious students of the New Testament.

Perspectives on the Ending of Mark presents in counterpoint form the split opinions about this difficult passage with a go
Published November 1st 2008 by B&H Academic

To ask other readers questions about Perspectives on the Ending of Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perspectives on the Ending of Mark

Greg Wilson
I am preaching through the gospel of Mark. From the outset, I knew I had to decide how I was going to approach the last 12 verses. In the past, the question of when does Mark’s Gospel end would not have been a problem. Preaching from the King James to people reading the King James doesn’t necessitate an explanation. Other than that part about handling snakes I mean. And drinking poison (Mark 16:18). Besides, I could just camp on Mark 16:15 and be done with it. That was then. This is now. I preac ...more
Brian Collins
Typically four views books allows each participant to state his case followed by brief responses from each of the other contributors. This four views book is unique in allowing only one perspective a rejoinder. Daniel Wallace presents the view that Mark ended his Gospel with verse 8. Maurice Robinson argues that Mark's Gospel originally included the longer ending. Keith Elliot posits that both the beginning and ending of Mark's Gospel were lost. The current beginning and the longer ending were r ...more
Spencer
A helpful book that briefly examines different issues to the problem of Mark 16. They don't provide as much in depth discussion as one might hope and often address the issue more on hermeneutical and philosophical grounds than textual. Granted this is just a survey and those wanting to dive deeper should probably pick up some of the referenced works.
Steve Husmann
There's a footnote that bothered me every time I saw it: "these verses not found in earliest manuscripts."

For 10-15 years now I've wondered what to do with those verses at the end of Mark, so this book was very thought provoking. Each chapter is written by a different author, with a different position and every chapter I start to swing to that authors position.

After reading the book, I'm not sure where I stand exactly on these 9 verses at the end of Mark, and yet my faith is richer for it. I rea
Demetrius Rogers
It's pretty good when a book on textual-criticism turns out to be a thoroughly absorbing read. I could hardly put it down. A very helpful primer into the issues for and against the last 12 verses of The Gospel of Mark.

My only complaint is that the interaction between the positions - as is typical for these 'couterpoints' books - was lacking here. Darrell Bock presented the wrap-up chapter which was an attempt to respond to all 4 papers at once, but it quickly became apparent that it was merely
Philip Taylor
More than one way to skin a cat. I like David Black's contribution the best - Mark 1:1 to Mark 16:8 was essentially Peter's oral presentations as he worked from Matthew and a yet to be published Luke. Mark then added a longer ending and hence both the short ending and long ending circulated in the early church. But in reality, I could be swayed either way depending on whatever expert I am listening to.
David Haines
I'm not a textual critic, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this debate and comparing the different views in this debate. See my review on my blog in a couple of days.
Baba Fadanruruma
Baba Fadanruruma marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Brad Stewart
Brad Stewart marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jacob Walker
Jacob Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jc
Jc marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Jonathan Tomes
Jonathan Tomes marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Clint
Clint marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Rick Mcdonald
Rick Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Dewayne
Dewayne marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Nsimbi Ibrahim
Nsimbi Ibrahim marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Indexes to All Editions of Bdb Hebrew English Lexicon Greek New Testament, Byzantine Textform (Annotated) Perspectives on the Ending of Mark Interlinear Hebrew-Greek-English Bible w/Strong's Numbers, Vol 1 of 3 Interlinear Hebrew Greek English Bible, Vol 2 of 4