Start by marking “Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views” as Want to Read:
Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views

Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Because it is conspicuously absent from more than one early Greek manuscript, the final section of the gospel of Mark (16:9-20) that details Christ’s resurrection remains a constant source of debate among serious students of the New Testament.

Perspectives on the Ending of Mark presents in counterpoint form the split opinions about this difficult passage with a goal of dete
Published November 1st 2008 by B&H Academic

To ask other readers questions about Perspectives on the Ending of Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perspectives on the Ending of Mark

David Harris
Apr 28, 2016 David Harris rated it really liked it
This work was the result of a conference held in 2007 at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. The issue under debate is the legitimacy of the ending of Mark's Gospel (16:9-20). Three conservatives and one liberal were in the discussion. The conversation between the three scholars who all affirm inerrancy were of the greatest interest to me.

Dan Wallace (DTS) argues that the short ending (16:8) is authentic. He draws heavily on external and internal evidence, and makes several fair concessio
Greg Wilson
Oct 22, 2012 Greg Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am preaching through the gospel of Mark. From the outset, I knew I had to decide how I was going to approach the last 12 verses. In the past, the question of when does Mark’s Gospel end would not have been a problem. Preaching from the King James to people reading the King James doesn’t necessitate an explanation. Other than that part about handling snakes I mean. And drinking poison (Mark 16:18). Besides, I could just camp on Mark 16:15 and be done with it. That was then. This is now. I preac ...more
John Kight
May 11, 2016 John Kight rated it it was amazing
Perspectives on the Ending of Mark: Four Views edited by David Alan Black is a tour de force into one of the most significant textual variants in the New Testament. Each of the chapters included in this volume originated from a conference entitled “The Last Twelve Verses of Mark: Original or Not,” held April 13-14, 2007, at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina. For those familiar with the textual issues surrounding Mark 16:9-20, the enlisted contributors (Dani ...more
Brian Collins
May 02, 2015 Brian Collins rated it liked it
Typically four views books allows each participant to state his case followed by brief responses from each of the other contributors. This four views book is unique in allowing only one perspective a rejoinder. Daniel Wallace presents the view that Mark ended his Gospel with verse 8. Maurice Robinson argues that Mark's Gospel originally included the longer ending. Keith Elliot posits that both the beginning and ending of Mark's Gospel were lost. The current beginning and the longer ending were r ...more
Daniel Ligon
May 21, 2016 Daniel Ligon rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
A very good book though a bit technical (a fair amount of references to Greek grammar and manuscript numbers). This book examines the ending of Mark from four different perspectives. Does Mark end at 16:8 (Short Ending=SE) or at Mark 16:20 (Long Ending=LE)? This passage is one of the clearest differences between the Majority Text and Minority Text.

In Chapter 1, Daniel Wallace argues for the SE being the original text. In Chapter 2, Maurice Robinson presents Mark 16:9-20 as part of the canon. In
Spencer
A helpful book that briefly examines different issues to the problem of Mark 16. They don't provide as much in depth discussion as one might hope and often address the issue more on hermeneutical and philosophical grounds than textual. Granted this is just a survey and those wanting to dive deeper should probably pick up some of the referenced works.
Steve Husmann
Apr 27, 2015 Steve Husmann rated it really liked it
There's a footnote that bothered me every time I saw it: "these verses not found in earliest manuscripts."

For 10-15 years now I've wondered what to do with those verses at the end of Mark, so this book was very thought provoking. Each chapter is written by a different author, with a different position and every chapter I start to swing to that authors position.

After reading the book, I'm not sure where I stand exactly on these 9 verses at the end of Mark, and yet my faith is richer for it. I rea
Demetrius Rogers
Jan 27, 2013 Demetrius Rogers rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-theology
It's pretty good when a book on textual-criticism turns out to be a thoroughly absorbing read. I could hardly put it down. A very helpful primer into the issues for and against the last 12 verses of The Gospel of Mark.

My only complaint is that the interaction between the positions - as is typical for these 'couterpoints' books - was lacking here. Darrell Bock presented the wrap-up chapter which was an attempt to respond to all 4 papers at once, but it quickly became apparent that it was merely
Philip Taylor
Oct 04, 2014 Philip Taylor rated it liked it
More than one way to skin a cat. I like David Black's contribution the best - Mark 1:1 to Mark 16:8 was essentially Peter's oral presentations as he worked from Matthew and a yet to be published Luke. Mark then added a longer ending and hence both the short ending and long ending circulated in the early church. But in reality, I could be swayed either way depending on whatever expert I am listening to.
David Haines
Jan 23, 2014 David Haines rated it really liked it
I'm not a textual critic, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this debate and comparing the different views in this debate. See my review on my blog in a couple of days.
Kevin Cozzi
Kevin Cozzi marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
William Alexandre
William Alexandre marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Jared Willett
Jared Willett marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Kristopher
Kristopher marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Gary Shogren
Gary Shogren rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Tim Randall
Tim Randall marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Baba Fadanruruma
Baba Fadanruruma marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Brad Stewart
Brad Stewart marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014