Start by marking “Minding The Body, Mending The Mind” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Minding The Body, Mend...

Joan Borysenko

Minding The Body, Mending The Mind

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Based on her ground-breaking work at the Mind/Body Clinic at Harvard Medical School, Borysenko has created the first systematic, medically tested program to unlock the mind's power to manipulate health. Tells how to use the mind's power to dramatically improve physical and emotional health.
Published (first published January 21st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Minding The Body, Mending The Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minding The Body, Mending The Mind

Linda
Jan 17, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extreme beginner's guide to meditation and stress reduction. I listened to the audiobook, read by the author. She sounds like she's reading, too, and it made it somewhat annoying. I prefer real books, but due to a retinal tear, I can't read for a while, and this was on my wishlist.

For someone totally unfamiliar with the material she presents, this book contains some powerful techniques and ideas. For those who have a grasp of fundamental ideas going into the book, this will not offer
Natasha
Apr 19, 2009 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to hear the author speak and and meet her afterwards at her book signing in Santa Fe on 4/14/09.
Highlights of the book for me:
When the body's inner wisdom is obscured by inattention through worry, the result is similar to having the appetite dulled by sweets:We can't hear the prescription of the inner healer.

We rarely see things for what they are. Instead, we see the reflection of our own past conditioning.

Don"t make any appointments and you won"t have any disappointments
Henry Milburn
Apr 21, 2016 Henry Milburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page
Oct 15, 2008 Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is convincing in its premise that the power of the mind over one's health cannot be underestimated. It helps one to analyze what thoughts affect us for good or bad. Many examples help clarify how to correct faulty thinking and live a better quality of life.
Christopher Vincent
Don't bother. There is value in the book's exercises, but you can find it elsewhere.

Way too much talk about Jesus and God in her examples when it's not needed. There's also a TON of new age BS in here. The kind of superficial ramblings that don't mean anything or have any basis in reality. Eg. "Dreams are often the mind seeking a form of healing." WTF? Citation needed.

The author reminds you to avoid falling into the trap of thinking "why" someone took an action, because we can only know our own
Charity
Aug 29, 2008 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not much of a fan of self-help books. I find myself reading them, but I criticize them the entire time I'm reading. In this one, though, I found little to criticize. It's one of the best introductions to meditation I've read. It's practical and applicable to most situations. I also found that it helped me be patient with myself while learning the art of meditation, which I think is key for me to keep practicing.

One of my only complaints is about some minor inconsistencies within the text (eg
Jim Lavis
Feb 20, 2016 Jim Lavis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed reading this book. Over the last 30 years or so, I've been fascinated by this subject and have read many books and periodicals on this topic . We all struggle with and assortment of challenges in life, and understanding and mastering some control over our perceptions can make all the difference. I mean who wouldn't want to take control over one's physical and emotional well-being? It's good stuff.
Jaci Riley
Sep 06, 2007 Jaci Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I read this book mainly for work. It's a new age kinda book but does have some interesting side stories about the author and her patients. If your interested in learning about meditation or how the state of mind can affect the state of the body, this is an easy place to start. If you enjoy great little quotes, this book is full of them hidden within the text. For example: "The more we try to control life the less control we have.. . . . The block to letting go in the moment is fear-lack of faith
Becky
Mar 14, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book for Blue Mesa. I really liked this. Very approachable, and looks at what our minds can do. Another book to help me better understand mindfulness.
Fern Boyle
So grateful for this information! Susan lent me her book. Helping me deal w/hot flashes.
Jan 28, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful for those who experience muscle spasms or tightness during anxiety.

Wonderful depictions and easy how-to explanations.
Katie
Jan 27, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reminder to stay in the moment and just breathe.
Patricia
Aug 11, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it
Elizabeth Svercl
I read this book after hearing the author speak at a conference I attended. I started it and read 2/3 that first evening and got up early to finish it the next morning. I loved it and told many people about it and have bought copies for people who expressed a need. I also purchased copies of all the other books Joan has written. I loved them all. I highly recommend this book and any of the others by this author.
Marilyn
Feb 06, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book, but some parts were boring. Had some great idea's and quotes. One of my favorite quotes from the book is: "You may not get what you want. Real wisdom comes in loving what you get. And all of us will die, regardless of our druthers. The death rate has always been the same: one per person. But it's not so much about when you die as how you live."
Vicki
May 26, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-timed read. Those are the best. When a book comes along just when you need it. Like the teacher appearing when you need to be taught. I learned a lot from this book and will probably read it again, or at least sections of it. The breath work is effective for mediating stress.
Pamela
Nov 02, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book on the mind body connection based on her own experience and work with patients. Practical exercises are provided to begin a "relaxation response" practice, or meditation practice that is not tied to any religion.
Karen
Apr 27, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, health
This book introduced me to breathing exercises and simple meditations, which have helped me effectively cope with stress levels at work, when necessary. Being mindful of one's breathing is a powerful tool for relaxation.
Olivia Gourlay
Jul 09, 2012 Olivia Gourlay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is a wonderful resource for using your own psychic powers. This is a new age book. The goddess is important to many new age religions. To learn about the goddess go to www.yoni.com
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hers is a personable voice: reasoned, sane, wise, kind. And PRACTICAL. There are simple exercises that she lays out clearly. Manna for the aging and tired.
Nilchance
Covered the same material I read in Full Catastrophe Living, so this was mostly a skim.
Janis Davies
Jul 20, 2010 Janis Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the original foundational books about the mind-body connection.
Aimee Jackson
Oct 11, 2012 Aimee Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
Profound and life-changing. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Karen
Sep 26, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that this book gave such a thorough guide to meditation.
Anna
Mom's paperback copy. Not sure when I read it, but it was long ago!
Martine
Apr 20, 2009 Martine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read on wholistic health (mind, body and spirit).
Sally L.
Jan 21, 2010 Sally L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just begun, but like her language and premises.
J
Aug 19, 2011 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Time to read this one again.
Sandi Kay
Excellent, nuff said.
Sarah Pearsall
Aug 26, 2013 Sarah Pearsall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far it is really good!
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • Close to the Bone: Life-Threatening Illness as a Soul Journey
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Yeah Dave's Guide to Livin' the Moment: Getting to Ecstasy Through Wine, Chocolate and Your iPod Playlist
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story
  • The Four Levels of Healing: A Guide to Balancing the Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, and Physical Aspects of Life
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • Discover Your Optimal Health: The Guide to Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Vitality, Your Life
This distinguished pioneer in integrative medicine is a world-renowned expert in the mind/body connection.
More about Joan Borysenko...